Casio CT-S500 / CT-S1000V

Reaction score
So I am thinking about buying a new arranger keyboard next month to add to my collection and use to create chordprogressions.
I saw the Casio CT-S 1000V and I was wondering if the styles are the same as the CT-S 500.
I read in the comment section that the only real difference is the Vocal Synthesis function?

Now the 1000V is 100€ more then the 500... in the end I will only use it for the styles to create chordprogressions, so if they are exactly the same, the better option for me would be the

So my question is: are the styles the same or is there also a difference in them?

Reaction score
Personally Jim, I would not touch any Casio keyboard.

I tried one as a stop gap, it lasted the weekend before I packed it up and returned it.

Rubbish OS, flaky operation, failure to store presets, the list went on.

I was not impressed by the AIX sounds either.

I did watch the live launch even on the models and likened the 1000 to a Bontempi of the 80’s.

There is a member here though who does seem to be a fan of the models you quote so I’m sure Scott will show up sooner or later to answer in detail.

Reaction score
Yeah, the vocal stuff is the only extra feature of the 1000. And yes, I like the 500 a lot. I don't use it as an arranger, though.

Reaction score
Personally Jim, I would not touch any Casio keyboard.

I tried one as a stop gap, it lasted the weekend before I packed it up and returned it.

Rubbish OS, flaky operation, failure to store presets, the list went on.

I was not impressed by the AIX sounds either.

I did watch the live launch even on the models and likened the 1000 to a Bontempi of the 80’s.

There is a member here though who does seem to be a fan of the models you quote so I’m sure Scott will show up sooner or later to answer in detail.
Got a Casio CT-X 5000 and happy with that one.

Reaction score
That is the model I had for the weekend.
Yeah it isnt high quality stuff like a Yamaha or Roland but the price says so also... still, with some neutron sculptor on it in DAW and mastering it with Ozone 11 advance, you can get pretty results. I do not really use the keyboards speakers so maybe the problem are the speakers? I do not know, I liked the quality it was able to produce with plugins on in DAW.

Reaction score
CT-X5000 looks more capable than the CT-S500 in many ways (including a lot more arranger functionality, which the OP asked about), but the CT-S500 has updated sounds, a different action that I like, and is a lot more convenient for portable use (size, weight, battery operation, strap pegs). I haven't tried the CT-X5000, but my understanding is that the interface on the CT-S500 is simpler, too. But for sheer features, the CT-X5000 has a lot to offer. So it depends what you need...

Reaction score
CT-X5000 looks more capable than the CT-S500 in many ways (including a lot more arranger functionality, which the OP asked about), but the CT-S500 has updated sounds, a different action that I like, and is a lot more convenient for portable use (size, weight, battery operation, strap pegs). I haven't tried the CT-X5000, but my understanding is that the interface on the CT-S500 is simpler, too. But for sheer features, the CT-X5000 has a lot to offer. So it depends what you need...
I just hope it has different styles? Or are the styles mostly the same as the CT-X 5000 because I already have that one...

Reaction score
I've owned both models, they're very similar except for the vocal function and the 1000v has more sounds. I think it sounds quite good, and I like the ability to layer & split. It lacks looping and pads, but for the price it's great.

Reaction score
I've owned both models, they're very similar except for the vocal function and the 1000v has more sounds. I think it sounds quite good, and I like the ability to layer & split. It lacks looping and pads, but for the price it's great.
Well I got to redo my comment... after playing around with the Roland several days Casio CT-X 5000 sounds like crap to be honest... I am trying to get the best out of it but I aint sure it is gonna work...

Reaction score
Jim Beta don't forget that there are 100 user styles slots. You can: a) Tweak the current or b) Buy from https://www.planetkeyboard.shop/product-category/styles-casio/ or c) Edit SMF via Data Manager. I have WK 7500, I believe that CTX should have better sounds. Usually, they are not comparable to Rolland or Yamaha, but one can find few that work well. And don't forget to use headphones or some near-field monitors and never use the onboard speakers - they simply sound terrible!

Reaction score
I just hope it has different styles? Or are the styles mostly the same as the CT-X 5000 because I already have that one...
Download the manual for the CT-S500, it lists all the rhythms (styles), and you can compare it to what's in your CT-X5000.

Reaction score
The Casio CT S is not an arranger per se, it has arranger features.

By comparison a Yamaha PSR E473 is a similar price and has vastly better arranger features.

I am no Yamaha fan boy but their low end arrangers are vastly superior to Casio’s offerings in every aspect.

Reaction score

By comparison a Yamaha PSR E473 is a similar price and has vastly better arranger features.

I am no Yamaha fan boy but their low end arrangers are vastly superior to Casio’s offerings in every aspect.
I do not understand, I made chordprogressions with it in the past and I was able to make it sound a bit better with plugins but now for some reason it will not work. The mix in the styles is just VERY bad... I do not understand, I am completely shocked... I am sitting here for more then an hour allready not understanding it lol...

Reaction score
While it is not the most full featured arranger, I wonder what you think it is missing that prevents it from properly being referred to as an arranger?

The Yamaha may well be way ahead as an arranger, it's not a function I use, but at least once you move away from just the arranger features, I'd have to disagree that the Yamahas beat the Casios in every respect.

I compared the CT-S500 to the PSR-E425 (73 key version of the E473) , both had their advantages. Some Casio advantages include the action (at least IMO), the MIDI implementation (e.g. on the Yamaha you can't use MIDI commands to change the sound you're playing or to call up registrations), having an expression pedal jack instead of only sustain (and there are more functions you can assign its pedals to), having a continuous knob for modulation (Yamaha has only an on/off button), among other things. Arranger functions aside, but just as a board to play by itself or to gig with, I found the Casio to be a more useful board. I looked into the Yamaha because I liked the idea of having essentially a similar 73-key with louder speakers, but there were too many negatives for me, in feel, controls, navigation. And each had some sounds that I thought were better than the equivalents in the other, there was no knock-out there.

Ask a Question