Casio ctk 3200

Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is my first post. I purchased a Casio ctk 3200 model to learn piano on, my son who's been playing a while now was using the function rythym buttons, was working one day the next day went to turn on and nothing, I can hear the power on through a speaker but cannot get to work now. Any suggestions anyone, thanks Burto 1

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums, Burto!

Let me take a look at the manual to see what functions are available on that model, but I'll tell you right now that my first inclination is to suspect that the "Local Control" got turned off by your son. I'm not sure if that setting gets saved when you turn off the power, or gets reset to a default value (which should be "on"), but that's what I'd check first if I were you.

EDIT: Okay, I'm looking at the User's Guide right now, and the Local Control parameter is function number 14 in the Function menu (see pages E-4 and E-36). Basically, if that parameter gets set to "off," it will keep the keyboard from making any sounds when you play it. That might seem like a strange thing to want to do, but sometimes you might want to do that so the keyboard can play sounds in response to MIDI data that you're transmitting to it from a computer or other device, without the danger of making "unwanted" sounds if you were to accidentally hit some of the keys while the external device is controlling the keyboard.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Welcome.

Does your Son have his own keyboard?

My Grandson is banned from playing on my keyboards, he is a fiddler and can and has screwed up the system previously through random button pushes.

A keyboard each at least is called for.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums, Burto!

Let me take a look at the manual to see what functions are available on that model, but I'll tell you right now that my first inclination is to suspect that the "Local Control" got turned off by your son. I'm not sure if that setting gets saved when you turn off the power, or gets reset to a default value (which should be "on"), but that's what I'd check first if I were you.

EDIT: Okay, I'm looking at the User's Guide right now, and the Local Control parameter is function number 14 in the Function menu (see pages E-4 and E-36). Basically, if that parameter gets set to "off," it will keep the keyboard from making any sounds when you play it. That might seem like a strange thing to want to do, but sometimes you might want to do that so the keyboard can play sounds in response to MIDI data that you're transmitting to it from a computer or other device, without the danger of making "unwanted" sounds if you were to accidentally hit some of the keys while the external device is controlling the keyboard.
Thanks for the information, have tried what you suggested but cannot power up the unit to go through the steps you suggested. It's weird because it was working one day, I turned it on the next day and nothing. As I said I can't even turn on the power to look at doing the things you suggested. Any other ideas, is it the lead possibly, this is a fairly new unit and would expect that to be ok, I've looked at this and appears fine. If you have any other recommendations I would appreciate it. With thanks again, Burto 1

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Oh, sorry, I misunderstood what the symptoms were, as you'd said that when you turn it on "I can hear the power on through a speaker," so I thought it was powering up okay but not making any sounds when you play it. If it isn't powering up okay-- no display, etc.-- then you should (1) put in fresh batteries if you're running it on batteries, or (2) try it with a new power adapter if you're running it on the AC adapter.

If neither one of those steps help, you might need to have a service technician look at it if it's still under warranty.

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips, it's frustrating as I've only just bought it and had a bit if a play as you do on anything new, my son started to play it and used the function button and now nothing works. I'll try using it on batteries to see if I can get any part of the piano working, it may have have a technician look at it. It could very well be something very simple. Thanks again for your help, Glenn

Reaction score
Glenn

The CTK-3200 is one of many Casio models that do not save ANY settings when the keyboard is powered off. Essentially, powering it off and back on resets ALL settings to their initial factory defaults. See the note labeled IMPORTANT half way down the left hand column of Page E-6 in the manual. So, it is highly unlikely that your problem is anything that your son did in the Function Menu. If so, a power off/on would have cleared it. If you have been powering it with an AC adapter, your best bet is to try powering it with a fresh set of batteries, as Michael (SeaGtGruff) suggested. If it works with batteries, but not the AC adaptor, then the AC adaptor is bad. If it works with neither is an indication that the keyboard itself is defective. Sadly, these devices can go bad at any time - some brand new right out of the box. Since yours is a fairly new unit, you may want to check into a possible warranty replacemenr, if it is bad.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks Ted I'll be trying new batteries to see if that works, then a new adaptor, if theses fail then may have to get someone to look at it, with thanks Glenn

Reaction score
Hi Ted and Michael, I've done what both if you have suggested and that is put a fresh set of batteries in the unit and it's working fine, so in the end it was the adaptor which I'm yet to purchase,so thanks to both of you for your help and suggestions, Glenn

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Sometimes adapters get fried; other times the wires in their cable just get broken from being coiled and uncoiled over and over again. I'm glad it's working correctly with fresh batteries!

Reaction score
Hello, after the keyboard was on for about 1 1/2 hours, went to play it and it shut off by itself. Any help on this issue?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Hello, after the keyboard was on for about 1 1/2 hours, went to play it and it shut off by itself. Any help on this issue?
Casios have an Auto-Shutoff to conserve battery life.

To disable it, hold down TONE while powering up.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Yes I disabled it and after the keyboard was on for about 1 1/2 hours, went to play it and it shut off by itself. Any help on this issue?
Jerry

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm sorry but I don't think you understand. I disabled the shut off feature and didn't turn it off. But when I started to play it, it shutoff by itself, this happened while in church service.

Ask a Question