Casio Privia 160 vs Casio CDP350: are they even for me anyway?

Reaction score
EV makes great speakers. I have often used the ZxA1 which is lighter, but pricier. For bass, I use the Markbass Mini CMD 121P... again lightweight, but more expensive.

Back on the other subject, one thing to me aware of on the Casios (and Numas) is that they do not have a monophonic (as opposed to polyphonic) synth mode, which makes them a bit less suitable for lead synth playing than the other boards under discussion.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Buying keyboards or Gear Acquisition Syndrome (G.A.S.) is a monkey on your back like shooting smack or smoking crack.
I have ONE keyboard only . . ( no gas)
If I took a shot at smack . . I'd miss.
If I smoked crack . . I would choke.

No monkeys on my back. LOL.

Now it looks like I'm going to have to manage GAS with two instruments!!!

You need to tame that monkey. Two instruments maybe okay for you. Good luck with your choices.

Reaction score
IMO "Keyboard amps" in general are inferior to powered PA monitors, which do a better job of capturing the exceptionally wide range of sounds and frequencies your keyboard will produce. I've never used keyboard amps except for when they've been forced upon me as part of a backline setup - when I was younger and poorer I used to use bass combo amps as keyboard amps. They don't do a bad job.

Every band chooses different methods of sound reinforcement, but generally speaking, yes you are correct. I always run keys via DI through to the PA for FOH sound and use a personal monitor so I can hear myself. I recently retired my JBL EON after years of faithful service (it still works) hence the reason for the purchase of the EV I mentioned above.

Most bands I've played in run the bass out of the amp head via a DI into the PA - with the bass cab acting as an on-stage monitor. Occasionally the bass cab has been mic'd to FOH and even more occasionally the bassist has simply played through his amp not the PA.
Thanks, CowboyNQ!
I’m glad bass amps work well.
I had heard that.
That’ll be good actually.

I may just use a bass amp for both for a while then. If I only have to get one amp tomorrow, I can save the money to use toward the Keyboard.

I’ll consolidate two cabs, a head and a combo for one combo. The reason for doing the amp switch is to get rid of the big amps to make room in the house for the Keyboard.

EV makes great speakers. I have often used the ZxA1 which is lighter, but pricier. For bass, I use the Markbass Mini CMD 121P... again lightweight, but more expensive.

Back on the other subject, one thing to me aware of on the Casios (and Numas) is that they do not have a monophonic (as opposed to polyphonic) synth mode, which makes them a bit less suitable for lead synth playing than the other boards under discussion.

Awesome!
I’ll check into them for sure.
If I can make do with just a bass amp for a while, I can save up for a good speaker. I’ll check into the ones you suggested. I really like EV!

After that one, I’ll see if I need a third amp or if I can use the same bass amp for bass and keys.

Good to know about the Casio. The Juno’s still my favorite and the KORG is still the other front runner then.
I have ONE keyboard only . . ( no gas)
If I took a shot at smack . . I'd miss.
If I smoked crack . . I would choke.

No monkeys on my back. LOL.

You need to tame that monkey. Two instruments maybe okay for you. Good luck with your choices.
Thank you!
That’d be ideal:
One bass
One ‘board
One bass amp that can be used for keys
One keyboard amp/PA speaker than can be used for both.

If I can’t get away with using the same amp for bass and key bass, maybe a third amp like a bass amp with a 12” to be used for the left side of the board and for bass in small places.

Reaction score
Good luck today in your quest.

I have a pair of Behringer PA speakers that suffice for my needs but I did run my Korgs through a mixer to my Bass Guitar amp and it sounded pretty good to me right out of the bag but by the time I adjusted the Eq in the keyboards the Bass amp sounded even better so you may need to do this in store. A small local mixer will obviate the need for another Amp, feed keys, mike, Bass guitar via mixer.

BTW my Bass amp is a Fender Rumble.

Final bit of advice from me there.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Aaron, whatever you get, just make sure you listen to the amp using a range of keyboard sounds in the shop before you buy mate. It will prevent any disappointment when you get it home.
Good luck today in your quest.

I have a pair of Behringer PA speakers that suffice for my needs but I did run my Korgs through a mixer to my Bass Guitar amp and it sounded pretty good to me right out of the bag but by the time I adjusted the Eq in the keyboards the Bass amp sounded even better so you may need to do this in store. A small local mixer will obviate the need for another Amp, feed keys, mike, Bass guitar via mixer.

BTW my Bass amp is a Fender Rumble.

Final bit of advice from me there.
Thanks again, you two!
It was quite a day. We hit a Sam Ash and a Guitar Center.

Now that I've seen them in person, it's definitely the Juno. I like the feel and look of the keys and the keyboard in general.

The bass amp project didn't go as planned. They wouldn't give me decent trade value for my rig, so it was a no go.

I still need to free up the space by getting rid of some amps and I've figured out a better plan.

The bass amp I was looking at ended up being pretty big as well. One of my Fender Rumble 115s is about the same size and has a tweeter. I'll keep one 115 cab and the head which will put 220 watts through a 115. That ought to take care of my bass amp needs and I won't have to shell out any money. Plus, I can sell my Rumble 30 combo amp and a 115 cab and put that money toward the keyboard project.

You're totally right about the mixer. I found one that would allow me to pan channels 1 and 2. That would allow me to split the signals of the bass and the keyboard into separate XLR outputs for DI purposes. I could use the headphone jack to send the signals merged together into my bass amp.

Once I'm down to one amp (head + cab), I can find something like a powered PA speaker to use as a keyboard amp.

It's all coming together, but it's a lot to manage.

I'll keep you posted as the saga continues...

Reaction score
Glad you are sorted with the Juno.

Check out a Behringer 1002B mixer, it is what I have and it has balance for each input, two sets of outputs, headphones plus Mon Send and Fx Send

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Aaron >>> Just to set your mind at ease I just weighed my Gator Gig Bag for the Juno DS88 and it weighs in at 10.2 lbs on my digital bathroom scale.

That means total weight with power supply and cables and pedals should come in just under or around 50 lbs when you are gigging.

Enjoy your new keyboard when you get it.

I'm happy to hear that you've found a manageable amp situation.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thanks, you two!
Glad you are sorted with the Juno.

Check out a Behringer 1002B mixer, it is what I have and it has balance for each input, two sets of outputs, headphones plus Mon Send and Fx Send
It is really nice to have things coming into focus so I know what to be looking for.
I've found a Juno that has a cosmetic dent that I may make an offer on. Maybe I can get a good deal on it.

Aaron >>> Just to set your mind at ease I just weighed my Gator Gig Bag for the Juno DS88 and it weighs in at 10.2 lbs on my digital bathroom scale.

That means total weight with power supply and cables and pedals should come in just under or around 50 lbs when you are gigging.

Enjoy your new keyboard when you get it.

I'm happy to hear that you've found a manageable amp situation.

Gary ;)
Cool!
Probably what I'll do to minimize weight is put cables and pedal in another bag. That's what I do with the bass stuff. That way, it'll just be the weight of the keyboard and the case. I actually picked up the Juno, the Kross 2 and the MX88 at the store. :D

I've already sold the 115 bass cab I was trying to sell!
Now I just need to sell the combo and replace it with a powered PA speaker/keyboard amp.

Thanks again, everybody!

I'll post updates as things evolve!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
For pedals I recommend an M-Audio SP2 for sustain and a Roland EV-5 for the continuous controller pedal.

Both work very nicely on my rig.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
For pedals I recommend an M-Audio SP2 for sustain and a Roland EV-5 for the continuous controller pedal.

Both work very nicely on my rig.

Gary ;)
Oh thanks!
That's perfect.
That'll save me a lot of time!

Reaction score
+1 for the SP2.

One thing about keyboard pedals is that they move, you no doubt have your Bass pedals neatly connected up on a pedal board so they are nicely anchored.

To stop my pedals from moving about I use something called Grip Mat, it is only a couple of bucks on Amazon. Lay a strip down and place the pedals on it and you are good to rock.

Reaction score
+1 for the SP2.

One thing about keyboard pedals is that they move, you no doubt have your Bass pedals neatly connected up on a pedal board so they are nicely anchored.

To stop my pedals from moving about I use something called Grip Mat, it is only a couple of bucks on Amazon. Lay a strip down and place the pedals on it and you are good to rock.
Thanks, Biggles!
I've been meaning to mention:
From your signature, it looks like you play bass as well. It seems like playing bass and keys is such a good combination.
Do you gig with both?

Reaction score
Thanks, Biggles!
I've been meaning to mention:
From your signature, it looks like you play bass as well. It seems like playing bass and keys is such a good combination.
Do you gig with both?

In a word no, I am very much a home hobbyist.

Being now well retired I have time to indulge in my hobbies.

I took up keyboards because arthritis is playing havoc with my guitar and bass playing so what do I then do.......buy a Uke where fretting and chord playing is far easier and bum notes well you can sort of get away with.

Reaction score
Hey, everybody!

I still have a little while to go before getting the keyboard, but I AM working towards it.

I traded an amp for some of the cables I'll need, but most importantly for one of these:

I'm going to plug the keyboard bass into channel 1, the bass guitar into channel 2.

I'll push the switch to "stereo" which will pan the keyboard to the left and the bass to the right.

This will give me two individual DIs from the XLR stereo outs.

I'll run the headphone out into my bass amp to run the mix of the keys and the bass into one input.

Here’s my loot from the trade!
The mixer, two 8’ instrument cables and two 20’ XLR cables.
BE2882E1-43D0-4267-B5B8-A3B227EC7A8E.jpeg

Reaction score
I bought the XLSL and it's a pretty snug fit. It includes a couple of foam spacers that provide extra protection at the ends. I can't say it's a dealbreaker but I'd really miss the shoulder strap if mine didn't have one.

Gary ;)
Me again!
Another follow up to the Gator gig bag questions for you, Gary.
It seems that they no longer make that line of Gator gig bag with the shoulder strap.
They have another line now called the Pro Go.
This one has a shoulder strap and it looks like extra padding. It's a little more expensive. Would it be worth the extra money to get the shoulder strap?
Does yours have this same padding or is this an upgrade as well?
It looks like it also has backpack straps.
What do you think?

Reaction score
Same padding as mine. Looks like a good bag. Definitely worthwhile to protect your investment.

Gary ;)
Thanks, Gary!
With a little luck, I’ll be ordering the Juno and stand within the next three weeks!
Here’s where I landed on the bass amp:
Ampeg
150 watts into a 15”
Wedge shaped so I can use it as a monitor.
B9D58F3A-C308-4C67-BE19-E745CAC5CF09.jpeg

The bass sounds great through it!
I think the keyboard bass will sound really cool through it!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Confused, I thought you were sorted in the Amp Department.

Street Cube series are great guitar Amps, not tried them on keys but another trip to a Music Store will no doubt result in you being able to try, if not an Ex then a standard Street Cube which should give you a general idea.

If you remember I bought a Kross 2 over the Juno simply due to its low weight and size, I also bought a small Roland Katana Mini amp which I use for jamming in the group I belong to, it is small, light and at 8W is powerful enough, sorry I am digressing, but I have been looking at other small yet reasonably powerful amps and found a Vox VX50KB which whilst I have not heard the KB version I have played a Bass through the Bass version, the Vox VX50B which sounded very good. So maybe you could checkout the Vox which is still a Roland product btw it has nutube tech.

Ask a Question