Casio Privia 160 vs Casio CDP350: are they even for me anyway?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Check out a Behringer K450FX. It's a very decent and portable keyboard amp you could use as a monitor or on gigs. Or its bigger brother,, the K900FX.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Confused, I thought you were sorted in the Amp Department.
The unexpected bass amp trade pushed me further down the rabbit hole!
I'm still planning to get the keyboard before any more amps though so I can get started learning.
Check out a Behringer K450FX. It's a very decent and portable keyboard amp you could use as a monitor or on gigs. Or its bigger brother,, the K900FX.

Gary ;)
Forgot to include in my previous re the Vox VX50KB amp, it is 50W and only
9 lbs in weight which is why I am favouring it myself.
Thank you for the suggestions, both of you. I'll check them out.

I'm looking into the Roland Street Cube EX because of the fact that it can run on batteries in case I'm without electricity. (My wife and I used to host an event in a park and I needed a bass amp like that.)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Reaction score
Here's a ranking of Keyboard Amps, but none of them run on batteries.

If you absolutely need battery power you might consider the Roland KC-220

Gary ;)
Thanks, Gary!
I think I may try a battery powered one first, if it works, great. If not, I need a battery powered amp anyway. I'll keep it and get another amp later.

I'm going to get the keyboard and stand first, practice at home for a month or so, and then get a case and start bringing playing the keyboard at practice.

After that, I'll go after another amp.

I've never been a Black Friday guy, but I'm going to see if they have any good deals on the Juno and the stand. The best price I've seen on a Juno so far has been $700 shipped. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed!

Reaction score
Hey, everybody!

I know it’s been a while, but I wanted to make good on my promise of reporting back once we got our keyboard.

Yes!
Finally!

I did exactly what we all talked about:

-Roland Juno DS88
-On stage KS7350 Keyboard stand
-M Audio SP-2 sustain pedal
-Roland EV-5 expression pedal
-EV ZLX-15BT-on this one I got the model we talked about, but went up from the original 12” speaker to the 15” version.

We got a dust cover, too!

I wanted to thank you again and also post this so that you know your time spent advising newbies is not wasted!

I did get the Gator case, but returned it because there was no shoulder strap.
Im thinking of going for it and getting a gator or SKB flight case with wheels, but GEEZ!!!: $440?!!!

Is it worth it?
Im super happy with the Juno and am hoping to keep it.
My needs are simple. Will I be able to make this my permanent keyboard?
Is the flight case useable for other models in case I upgrade?

Thank you again, everyone!
I hope you’re all well!
F3B0A065-3276-4101-B04E-838566A3B97E.jpeg

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Congrats!!! May you find many years of enjoyment and happiness in your purchase. :) I'm looking to sell my Juno (With some regret) in order to upgrade to a Korg Nautilus or a used Korg Kronos 2 88 sometime in the near future.

I can tell you the same sized Gator bag will fit a Juno DS88, a Kurzweil PC3K8, a Korg Kronos 2 88 or a Korg Nautilus equally as well. Many manufacturers build to the same form factor when it comes to 88 keyboards, but not all.

Still the XL versions of Gator cases will hold smaller boards better than the regular SL line will hold an XL board.

Just do your homework if you ever plan to upgrade.

Again, congrats!!! :)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Congrats!!! May you find many years of enjoyment and happiness in your purchase. :) I'm looking to sell my Juno (With some regret) in order to upgrade to a Korg Nautilus or a used Korg Kronos 2 88 sometime in the near future.

I can tell you the same sized Gator bag will fit a Juno DS88, a Kurzweil PC3K8, a Korg Kronos 2 88 or a Korg Nautilus equally as well. Many manufacturers build to the same form factor when it comes to 88 keyboards, but not all.

Still the XL versions of Gator cases will hold smaller boards better than the regular SL line will hold an XL board.

Just do your homework if you ever plan to upgrade.

Again, congrats!!! :)

Gary ;)
Thanks as always, Gary!
Well that’s pretty crazy that I made it back right as you’re upgrading. It’s too bad I didn’t wait-I could have bought your DS-88!

Okay, so it sounds like a hard shell case would be a good investment. It makes sense, I don’t use a gig bag for my bass. I have a hard shell case.
I know it will obviously be heavier than a gig bag, but the wheels work pretty well, don’t they?

Reaction score
And the candidates for cases are:

Though the Roadrunner seems 1. Very tough and 2. Like it would fit most keyboards, it seems like it would be very heavy and bulkier to move around.

The Gator is plastic and maybe not as tough as the Roadrunner and will only fit XL Slim keyboards, but neither of those things seem that bad to me and, since the Gator will be 1. Lighter and 2. Slimmer and easier to maneuver, I’m leaning toward the Gator.

What do you think?
Is my logic sound?
Is there another option?

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I have a Gator Slim XL TSA Plastic flight case for my Kurzweil. It weighs in about 25 lbs by itself and when carrying 54 lbs of kurzweil it's way too heavy for a single guy to carry. Especially if he's getting on in years. The wheels are useless on anything rougher than a hardwood floor. :p It has handles at both ends for a reason.

I use a Gator Slim XL Padded bag for the Juno and it's VERY well padded. Even so, the bag weighs in around 15 lbs and the DS88 weighs in about 35 lbs.

A total of 50 lbs that's manageable even by an old geezer like me. (with strategic rest stops along the way :) )

The roadrunner looks stronger than the Gator TSA case though, which is good if you intend to fly with the board or have it shipped.

I'm not sure f the Gator TSA would hold up to the gorilla baggage handlers at an airport or for that matter, a bunch of crazy roadies playing "stair luge" with the gear :p

If you are the only one handling it and weight is a consideration then I think a good quality padded gig bag should be more than adequate. Just don't let anyone sit on it :D

Gary ;)

PS. And it was unlikely that I would have sold you my DS because I don't do the whole "Ebay/Reverb/Paypal" thing when selling my gear. In fact I don't ship and only deal with local buyers. ;)

Reaction score
I have a Gator Slim XL TSA Plastic flight case for my Kurzweil. It weighs in about 25 lbs by itself and when carrying 54 lbs of kurzweil it's way too heavy for a single guy to carry. Especially if he's getting on in years. The wheels are useless on anything rougher than a hardwood floor. :p It has handles at both ends for a reason.

I use a Gator Slim XL Padded bag for the Juno and it's VERY well padded. Even so, the bag weighs in around 15 lbs and the DS88 weighs in about 35 lbs.

A total of 50 lbs that's manageable even by an old geezer like me. (with strategic rest stops along the way :) )

The roadrunner looks stronger than the Gator TSA case though, which is good if you intend to fly with the board or have it shipped.

I'm not sure f the Gator TSA would hold up to the gorilla baggage handlers at an airport or for that matter, a bunch of crazy roadies playing "stair luge" with the gear :p

If you are the only one handling it and weight is a consideration then I think a good quality padded gig bag should be more than adequate. Just don't let anyone sit on it :D

Gary ;)

PS. And it was unlikely that I would have sold you my DS because I don't do the whole "Ebay/Reverb/Paypal" thing when selling my gear. In fact I don't ship and only deal with local buyers. ;)
Thanks as always, Gary!
Your Gator case is one of the old school ones with the shoulder strap though, right?
The new ones don’t come with the shoulder strap which I know makes carrying much easier.
Is there a gig bag out there now that includes the shoulder strap?

Ask a Question