Casio PX-S3000 and Casio PX-S1000: Flawed action reported by expert

Reaction score
I knew something felt off when I tried one of these and this expert confirms it! So important to try before you buy.

Reaction score
Welcome.

The guy who made the videos is one of the best reviewers. He got some stick for his original review and that spawned the weight test video.

The action on the S series is not bad but the action of other makes in the price range are probably better which probably relates to your comment.

Reaction score
I just think it's a shame rather than use this as an opportunity to improve, they turned it into a smear campaign against James.

Reaction score
I just think it's a shame rather than use this as an opportunity to improve, they turned it into a smear campaign against James.
That Casio action has been in use for a long time, and the keyboard feel is well known to it's users. This "reviewer" apparently didn't do his due diligence before buying and is back stepping to make the keyboard feel a Casio design flaw. I own, and have gigged, a Casio PX5S for 6 years. I can attest that the Casio keybed is playable but apparently some players do have to get used to the feel. I'm back using Yamaha again, partially because I like the feel of their keybed better than Casio. However I cannot call the Casio feel a design flaw, rather it is part of their design. Don

Reaction score
That Casio action has been in use for a long time, and the keyboard feel is well known to it's users. This "reviewer" apparently didn't do his due diligence before buying and is back stepping to make the keyboard feel a Casio design flaw. I own, and have gigged, a Casio PX5S for 6 years. I can attest that the Casio keybed is playable but apparently some players do have to get used to the feel. I'm back using Yamaha again, partially because I like the feel of their keybed better than Casio. However I cannot call the Casio feel a design flaw, rather it is part of their design. Don

That keyboard action is new and is different from the one in the PX5S, PX560, etc...
AFAIK, only the PX-S1000 and PX-S3000 use it (and the CDP-S100/CDP-S350, I believe, in some differently implemented way, without the 'smart' part...).
It's definitely quieter than the older actions, but apparently, the weighting of the keys might be a problem, in my view especially for the PX-S1000, which is specifically geared towards people who focus on piano...

Last edited:
Reaction score

As Kaneda states the action in the new S models is a completely new design.

The keys are shorter in overall length to aid with the design requirements of a small form keyboard. As part of the redesign the number of sensors on each key was reduced from three to two.

One aspect of the S1000 that I really disliked was the interface, the touch sensitive controls that required a two handed pseudo duo button press to change tones. The Yamaha P121/125 is light years better in the way that tones can be changed.

As I stated the action of the S1000 and S3000 models that I played were pretty good but not as good as the Yamaha P series or Roland FP30 that
I played.

So to me James was spot on and fair in his review of the models and his weight test proves the oddball characteristics of the new action.

These Casio models are well worth testing in store if anyone is interested in buying them but do also check out similar priced models by Kawai, Korg, Roland and Yamaha.

Reaction score
A very interesting video.

As an Engineer with design qualifications I can see why the Casio S models are as they are.

My guess would be that the Marketing Dept were the ones to write up the criteria for the model.

IE
Narrow form factor
Appearance
Minimal physical buttons
Weight
Instrument voices, and sound features were quite possibly not of major consideration as long as they compared to the opposition that would perhaps surfice
Arranger features of the 3000 version is an odd inclusion and pits it against a Yamaha DGX and now a new Korg

The actual Casio Designers then had their hands tied in achieving a keybed with the action. The resultant pivot and leverage moments are what you will see in the video and is why the keybed has the variable feel that James describes so well.

For a keyboard player like myself the action is not bad but for a piano player they will probably feel the same as James does with the S series.

Here in the UK the S3000 is c£650 and the new Korg XE20 is £690 and is probably a far better buy for someone wanting 88 keys with its 700 sounds, hundreds of Styles. So now Casio are probably rueing their design criteria and the onboard limitations of the tech spec never mind the keybed.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Did he ever say why he didn't just return the keyboard for a refund as soon as he received it and realized that he wasn't happy with the key action?

Reaction score
James Pavel Shawcross

AKA

ThePianoforever

Youtube Channel.

Here is the original review that James did.

Note that he comments @ 10:30 on the supplied footpedal and the abrupt soundfile cutoff (11:00) if the pedal is quickly pressed and released.

He starts to comment on the action @ 12:05

@ 26:00 he starts to comment on the included sounds which you will find interesting.

One thing I cannot understand myself in keyboards in general and it is particularly bad with the S3000 is the volume level of the sounds. It is not just a problem with this Casio it is one that I found myself with some Korg models, in particular my Kross 2 had this same problem and those that I set up as User Bank sounds I had to set them up to play at the volume I wanted, the Korg Pa 700 also had this issue, particularly in Style play and a change in Variation would mean the resulting sound level increase could be very marked, it was not universal but depended upon the Style and Keyboard Set related to said Style.

One piano sound may be OK at a volume setting of say mid range, then switch to another piano sound and without changing the volume setting the sound level emanating from the speakers is vastly increased, slect another different sound and it goes very quiet.

He demonstrates this from 30:00 and the differences are very dramatic.

To sum up, the comments he makes to me would indicate a very flawed keyboard hence it is understandable that Casio reacted the way they have.

When life returns to as normal as it is going to be and you go to a Music Store do seek out a S1000 or S3000 and have a play of one yourself but do have a play of others in the store in the same price bracket.

Reaction score
I bought a Casio PX-S3000 as my first electronic keyboard. I am an "intermediate" player and bought it primarily for the piano function.
I cannot tell the difference between the amount of pressure needed to 'activate' the black keys vs. the white keys. And I am absolutely thrilled with the tonal quality and easy of playing this thing, it's pretty cool. Only keyboard I have used previously is a Baldwin Acrosonic acoustic piano and the action on the Casio is better than on the Baldwin; so is the sound!

Tiki Room.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Welcome.

Glad you are happy with your 3000, it certainly is the best looking keyboard.

Interested in which other keyboards you test played before you choose the 3000.

Reaction score
In this Covid era, I did not test anything, including the Casio. Ordered it after narrowing my choices down to the PX-S3000 or the Yamaha DGX-660. I chose the Casio based on weight and the more up-to-date design and features. I was VERY nervous about getting it after reading the negative reviews about the weighting of the black vs. white keys, but my fingers can't tell any difference. And my ears don't hear the black keys playing louder than the white keys either. I'm very impressed with it and it's a kick-in-the-butt fun instrument to have during times of quarantine!

Reaction score
A keyboard or piano is like wine. Whether it's cheap or expensive doesn't matter, as long as you feel comfortable playing it (or enjoy drinking it :p ).

Reaction score
In this Covid era, I did not test anything, including the Casio. Ordered it after narrowing my choices down to the PX-S3000 or the Yamaha DGX-660. I chose the Casio based on weight and the more up-to-date design and features. I was VERY nervous about getting it after reading the negative reviews about the weighting of the black vs. white keys, but my fingers can't tell any difference. And my ears don't hear the black keys playing louder than the white keys either. I'm very impressed with it and it's a kick-in-the-butt fun instrument to have during times of quarantine!

I physically tested quite a few different digital pianos before I chose what I bought hence you may wish to view the thread.

There was not a lot of difference between the models but the 3000 was in a different keyboard market and its only real competitors being the Yamaha DGX and the Korg XE20, the 3000 certainly wins on looks and size and had I wanted something in this price range I would have bought the Casio, the keybed on the Korg was not as responsive for me as that on the Casio was.

Reaction score
After much research, I just bought a PXS1000. I actually like the action and I don't see any issue at all with the weight of the keys. It's a great digital piano with a lot of features.

Reaction score
I've had mine now for 4 months and love it more then ever. I rotate between the Casio and an acoustic piano in my practice sessions; still can't tell any issues withe the Casio keyboard that my fingers can notice.

Ask a Question