Chords on 61 key keyboard

Reaction score
I am thinking of buying a 61 key keyboard. I looked through some of the ez play music books and all written in key of c but what concerns me is all the chords are common major chords. Can you play more advanced chords like diminished chords on a 61 key keyboard?

Reaction score
Sure you can. Most of the keyboards have 61 keys and you can play all cords you want. If you want to know this then read the user manual. There you allways will find a list of which cords the accompaniment can play.

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
You can play almost all of classical music on a sixty one key keyboard. (Maybe not the last hundred years of so, assuming the composer used a lot more of the keyboard than normal.)

A sixty one note keyboard has five full octaves worth of notes. It doesn't skimp on the note of the keyboard, just the length of the keyboard. So you can play any chord in any key in the traditional tempered scales. (If you're getting experimental and want to go to quarter tone scales or something like that, you're probably out of luck. But that's true for most 88 note keyboards, too.)

The standard organ keyboard is a five octave (61 note) keyboard. So are harpsichords.

I wouldn't worry about the limitations of a sixty one note keyboard unless you're a trained pianist who wants to play on all the keys they're used to.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
I have a 61 note keyboard. I play all of the chords. Minors, sharps, sevenths, sus, etc. .
On the display panel, it even tells you what chord you are playing.
Recently we had a discussion here about sus2 and sus 4. I have now learn't to play these and the screen even recognises that I have it right. It also recognises inversions which I find most useful.

Oriane Lima

Hold on
Reaction score
I also have a 61 keys. It is very cool, and full of alternatives to make a good sound. Go ahead DAT, you will not regret. It is a great fun.

Reaction score
No you cannot play a lot of chords on a 61 key keyboard.

This is because to reduce the number of keys from 88 to 61 they need to remove all the minor thirds, dominant sevenths and suspended 2nds.

They have left the ninths though, which is good.

Last edited:

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Okay Paul, you need to explain this!
"Please explain!" LOL
I always thought a chord was 3 or 4 notes being played at the same time within one octave. So regardless of whether you have 3, 4, 5 or 6 octaves, all the chords can be played within one octave.
Am I missing something?
Is it the accompiament chords of which you are referring to?
My kb has all of the sevenths minor and major and sus2 and sus 4 are all there. What am i missing? Do i really need the missing ones?

Oriane Lima

Hold on
Reaction score
Paul...
"Please explain!"

I also did not get what Paul said. In the PSRE 433 in "Accompaniement Mode", the chords are in closed position, as shown in the figure. Diminished chords, half diminished, suspended, and other forms are possible, too. However, there are some exceptions, as shown in Fig.

image.jpg

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score

This is because to reduce the number of keys from 88 to 61 they need to remove all the minor thirds, dominant sevenths and suspended 2nds.

They have left the ninths though, which is good.

Sometimes humor doesn't carry over in text.

I got it.

Ask a Question