Closest keybed to Yamaha AE?

Reaction score
Hello dear community!

I have been playing a Yamaha P300 (not CP300) for quite a while and really enjoyed the action. Unfortunately, it measures 40 cm in height and does
not fit under my studio desk. therefore, I got myself a Native Instruments S88 six years ago and I’m totally disappointed.

Now to my question: the P300 features a Yamaha AE keybed. Is there anything close in newer keyboards, preferably in keyboards with a height
below 20 cm and a pitch bend wheel.

Cheers!

Stevie

Reaction score
The Yamaha GHS is if I understand correctly is the successor to the AE and there are quite a number of their keyboards that use either the standard GHS or improved versions of it, the issue would be finding one with a height within your 40cm limit.

The P125 has a standard GHS action and a height of 16.6cm but no pitch bend, the CP88 has GH3 action and is 14.1cM in height.

You may want to check out a Roland A88 mk2 and the Studiologic range of MIDI controllers.

Surprising you do not like the S88 as I found it to be excellent, just goes to show to each their own.

Reaction score
Hey Biggles, thanks for your reply.

I guess a MODX8 would also be a good choice for a GHS keybed under 20 cm height.
The A88 MK2 is definitely on my list, so is the DS-88 And the RD-2000.

Concerning the S88: I think there is a huge quality issue with the keyboards. Mine is totally noisy, rattling and wobbly.
Then, when I was in a music shop some years later, the S88 I tested there was light years ahead of mine.
But this huge difference in quality made me totally lose my trust in NI.

Reaction score
CP88 has the NW-GH3 action.

BF0DFE0E-FF2F-4855-A112-BA4C3285AC48.png

Reaction score
The U.S. site doesn't have the 3 in the name (see below). It probably should, since it is a 3-sensor action, maybe that's a typo on the U.S. page. But the point is, the GH3 action goes back 15+ years. The much newer NW actions (including the one in the CP88) are not the same as those. That is, even if "GH3" is part of its name, the CP88 does not use the long-in-the-tooth "GH3" action.

Screen Shot 2022-02-13 at 10.04.06 AM.jpg

Last edited:

Ask a Question