Controlling a Kawai CN37 over Bluetooth

Reaction score
I have a CN37 and would like to use it in to accompany my flute playing in practice. I have the piano part as a MIDI file, and using the USB interface I can get the piano to play it. But it is awkward to look for and press the Play button and then get ready to play with my flute. Is there any way to press Play remotely, e.g. using my iPhone? The Virtual Technician does a lot of other things that suggest it should be possible.

Reaction score
Welcome.

First thoughts are to use a footswitch to trigger the Kawai.

There are Bluetooth footswitches readily available

Reaction score
That would be great, if anyone knows how to do it. I have the AirTurn footswitches for turning pages, but it isn't clear to me how to set it up. I would have to get one more foot switch but if I knew it would work I could do that. My "devices" are ipad air, ipad pro, and iphone se. Details, details!

Reaction score
These suggestions are much appreciated, but I really need specifics. Does anyone know exactly how to implement this for the Kawai CN37? I am not an expert in either Bluetooth or MIDI. I have an AirTurn bluetooth dual pedal, so I can experiment with that if someone will tell me how. There is no wired MIDI port on the CN37, just the Bluetooth and one USB port.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well, Kawai has an app called PianoRemote that should do the trick. The only thing is, the app is very new and does not yet work. It won't do anything at all, because it thinks the piano is not connected when in fact both the app and the ipad settings show that it is. I'm waiting for Kawai's response. Will post if/when I hear from them.

Reaction score
I received useful replies from both Kawai and my local dealer. I learned that the internal architecture of Kawai pianos changed significantly with the CA79/99, and the PianoRemote app works only with those models. I also learned I had overlooked a second jack panel which indeed includes hard wired MIDI ports and a second USB port, so the suggestions of Biggles may work as well. The Kawai contact suggested playing the MIDI file via an external computer or tablet connected to the MIDI input so that the piano's own sound is fully utilized. That moves the problem of starting the piano to one of starting the computer app, which may be easier.

I still wish for a cn37 remote app that duplicates the piano's control panel, but I don't have the app development skills to build it. So, case closed unless someone wants to volunteer to build it!

Reaction score
A wired MIDI footswitch unit should do all you want and much more.
Both of your suggestions may work. I was overlooking a second jack panel on the cn37 piano, which includes wired MIDI ports and a second USB port. Got good and quick feedback from Kawai.

Ask a Question