Controlling Other Keyboards From FantomX?

Discussion in 'MIDI' started by Andy Baptista, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Andy Baptista

Andy Baptista

So I've got a Roland Fantom X I'm using to control patch changes to two other Roland keyboards (Juno Di and Juno Ds). I want it set up so that when I change a performance on the Fantom it triggers the patches or performances I want on the other two. After some research I finally got this to happen, However, I don't want the sounds from the other two keyboards to be heard from the Fantom when I play it. No matter what settings I change on the Fantom I can't seem to play the Fantom with it's own sound after triggering the other two keyboards. Am I missing something? This is how it is set up:

Fantom X
    (Midi Out)
    +
    Juno Di (Midi Channel 16)
    (Midi In - Soft Thru On) / (Midi Out)
    +
    Juno Ds (Midi Channel 3)
    (Midi In)

I use channel 16 on the Juno Di so that I can trigger Performance changes (only works this way). Any ideas?

Andy Baptista, Sep 5, 2017
    1. Advertisements

2. Andy Baptista

happyrat1 Destroyer of Eardrums!!!

Not a Fantom owner but it seems to me you should be able to set up a zone on your Fantom to play only the sounds in Zone 1 on Channel 1 leaving Channels 3 and 16 untouched by those notes on Zone 1.

Gary ;)

happyrat1, Sep 6, 2017
    1. Advertisements

3. Andy Baptista

Andy Baptista

Quite right Gary. I did just that (basically set up the other two keyboards on the Fantom so that they played in a high range of the keyboard that I wasn't using) so that when I play I don't hear the other two. Thanks.

Andy Baptista, Sep 7, 2017
  4. Andy Baptista

happyrat1 Destroyer of Eardrums!!!

Happy to hear it worked for ya :)

Gary ;)

happyrat1, Sep 7, 2017
  5. Andy Baptista

Alan Minnear

Another way would be to send a control change along with program change to set their volumes to zero. This would be cc#7 0.

Alan Minnear, Jul 22, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question