midi keyboard controlling arranger keyboard

Reaction score
Hello,

I Started with piano lessons (still have to buy one, learning notes and tokkeling on table) and was wondering if it is possible to connect a midi keyboard to a arranger keyboard and use that for input.
This would make it possible to have all the function of a arranger keyboard + 88 weighted keys to have the real piano feel.
The weighted keys are a necessity because lessons are given on a real piano.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Yes, you can usually do that, although the specifics depend on the particular models.

If the arranger keyboard and the MIDI keyboard controller both have MIDI In/Out ports, you can connect a MIDI cable from the controller's MIDI Out to the arranger's MIDI In. That would normally be the preferred method, because it eliminates the need for any additional equipment.

If either keyboard is lacking MIDI ports, it should have a USB-to-Host port for connecting to a computer for sending/receiving MIDI. In that case it may need a USB-MIDI driver to be installed on the computer. As far as I know, the only way you could connect the two keyboards together via a USB connection would be to have some other device between them-- i.e., a computer or laptop.

As for actually controlling the arranger, you will need to check the guide for your controller to see which MIDI messages it can send, so you can select the desired voices and control other parameter settings.

Ask a Question