Convert an MP3 file to a song file and sty file to use in Psre 433?

Oriane Lima

Hold on
Reaction score
Which is the best and simplest way to convert an MP3 file to a song file and sty file to use in Psre 433?

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
My understanding is that it's nearly impossible to automatically or algorithmically convert an MP3 song file into MIDI data, except possibly in special cases where the melody is fairly simple (i.e., not an extreme amount of polyphony) and the sounds of the instrument(s) are not too harmonically complex-- and even then, the results may be rather poor. So in this case, "best" and "simplest" are probably mutually-exclusive, although you could certainly try using any number of programs that claim to be able to convert MP3 to MIDI and see how it goes.

That would be the "easiest" method, if it works. But I think the "best" method will be to listen to the MP3 song and try to manually transcribe the various musical parts into musical notation, then you can use notation software to output a MIDI file from the score.

Converting a MIDI song file into a Yamaha style file is another matter in itself. There are utility programs available to help you do that, although the process generally takes a bit of work to achieve the best results.

Is this an MP3 song file of something you recorded (i.e., of yourself playing a song on the PSR-E433), or something else?

Oriane Lima

Hold on
Reaction score
Michael, thank you. Please see my answer in this link:

https://instaud.io/zn7

Resuming my answer:
As you can hear in that link.
1) It is an mp3 (drum rhythm);
2) which was mixed in "Audacity" with the music that is heard. However, the timing is not right.

My idea was to turn this rhythm in a sty file, or in a song file, so that I could take it back in PSRE.

Last edited:

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
You want just the rhythm part, not the piano?

Where did the rhythm come from originally? I'm wondering if it was from an existing style, or if you played it yourself on the keyboard with one of the drum kits.

Oriane Lima

Hold on
Reaction score
It is a small loop that I downloaded from the looperman.com, site. I then pasted it in sequence in Audacity to configure it in the approximate size of that music. Then I saved it as an MP3.:(

The link for the drums only:

https://instaud.io/znC

Last edited:

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Okay, that should be easier to work with, but I think trying to convert it to MIDI will still have to be a manual process.

However, you might not need to convert it. I can hear (and see) how the clip you posted repeats a given section as a loop, but the timing of the loop is off. So if your end goal is to correct the timing of the loop, I can try to do that for you.

Let me fiddle with it and see what I can do.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I've isolated a single iteration of the loop, added a bit at the end to make 8 complete measures at 126 BPM, and then looped it a total of 4 times to get 32 measures. Let me know if it's okay-- and I can add more measures if 32 aren't enough.

Oriane Lima

Hold on
Reaction score
Hi, Michael. Yesterday I went out for dinner and came back late at night. I just read your answers today. I am forwarding you my email.

Interesting Michael, based on tips you've been giving over these exchanges, in this morning, I was, little by little, discovering the ways around the loop problem. So I'll need the loop that you worked on, and compare it with the loop that I did, to know if I learned how to do it properly.

Michael, I want to sincerely thank you for the help you give, not only to me but to all those who seek the forum looking for solutions to questions. You are a person of great knowledge in this area and you can be assured that this is very well appreciated.
Thank you very much

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I'll forward the loop I did (four repetitions) after I've checked my email, but what I did was the following:

(1) I opened a DAW (Acoustica Mixcraft, but just about any DAW should work); loaded the audio clip with the badly-timed repetitions; carefully examined the audio waveform to determine the point where the repetition began (which, using the DAW's default tempo of 120 BPM, was toward the end of measure 8); cropped the clip from measure 9 onward to remove all of the repetitions; trimmed off the little bit at the end of measure 8 where the loop started to repeat too soon; and also trimmed off a little bit of silence at the beginning of measure 1. That essentially gave me a clean copy of the original loop. By the way, the part where I examined the waveform to locate the point of repetition was a little tricky, since the main loop contains a bit of repetition in each measure or pair of adjacent measures, except with some slight variations, so I used a trick that I've used throughout my life to spot differences between two similar images-- I crossed my eyes so the parts of the waveform overlapped, until I was able to find where the waveform's pattern began repeating without variations.

(2) Once I had the clip trimmed down to a single instance of the loop, with the beginning of the first beat properly lined up with the beginning of measure 1, I listened to the clip while watching the waveform to verify which peaks are supposed to coincide with the first beats of each measure. The peak (i.e., drum beat or bass note) that was supposed to be lined up with the beginning of measure 2 was actually occurring toward the end of measure 1, which meant that the measures as shown by the DAW were a little bit too long-- i.e., the default tempo of 120 BPM was a little bit too slow. So I increased the tempo one BPM at a time until the beginning of each measure lined up with the peaks correctly-- which, as mentioned in my previous post, turned out to be a tempo of 126 BPM.

(3) Measure 8 of the clip was too short, so I added another short clip of silence to the track and merged it with the original clip. This made the clip a bit longer than 8 measures, so I trimmed it down again to exactly 8 measures. Then I was able to drag the right edge of the clip in the DAW to create more repetitions of the loop. I did that until I had 32 full measures, or four repetitions of the 8-bar loop.

(4) Then I "mixed down" the track to a new MP3 file. I also saved my work in the DAW in case I needed to make further changes to it.

Oriane Lima

Hold on
Reaction score
-- I crossed my eyes so the parts of the waveform overlapped, until I was able to find where the waveform's pattern began repeating without variations.__________

Haha, I can not even think of doing this, because I do not see well from my left eye. Thank you for the tremendous job, well thought out and well executed in that loop. It is a consistent and streamlined sound. Here is the link, as Seasound.

https://instaud.io/zuA

I did the work in an intuitive way, by trial and error. I admit that the result was far better than the initial attempt. Here is the link, as Limasound, just so you understand what I'm saying.

https://instaud.io/ztw

I learned a lot. Thank you Michael

Last edited:

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
You're welcome! My vision is very bad-- and worse now than when I was young-- but the eye-crossing trick still works fairly well as long as I'm wearing my glasses. :)

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
You can't.

Your best option would be to connect a smartphone, tablet, laptop, or computer to the keyboard via a TRS audio cable-- from the device's headphones jack to the keyboard's AUX IN jack-- play the MP3 on the device, and play along with the song.

Ask a Question