Coronavirus logistics.

Reaction score
I do not know about how you folks are faring but in the UK our Supermarkets are now limiting the number of people entering the stores resulting in pretty long queues.

Our other option is online ordering for (1) home delivery (2) click and collect in person, which is from a specific location outside the store.

(1) home delivery, is pretty impossible unless you have a very serious health condition but even then you have to be able to tell the Supermarket that you are and the problem is you cannot speak to a live person.

(2) click and collect, is not available from every store so I have to make a 40 mile round trip this weekend to a nearby town to pick up our groceries but at least I will not have to go into the store, actually hoping for rain to damp down the air.

Elsewhere our Daughter who is a Nurse is in the midst of a self isolating period because of symptoms, which, if it turns out to be coronavirus it will only be a mild case but so far she has not been contacted about a test prior to her return.

Reaction score
On a worrying note, I read in a News article over here in the UK that the live entertainment industry could be struggling for quite a while once the C19 virus has passed.

Some estimates suggest that it could be Autumn 2021 before some live venues and stage shows get back into action.

Others will close.

Then there is the psychological impact for very many people who will likely not be wanting to go into a crowded environment for a considerable amount of time.

Already our Government and others are starting to talk about relaxation of the lockdown, which to me is the height of stupidity for now is the time to be extra vigilant to continue to stress the importance of social distancing and for staying home. Better to remain with the current implementation of lockdown until the downward curve is an actual one for at least two weeks rather than a projected one.

Stay safe.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You can blame Bad Boris for your predicament. He caught it and survived so now he's telling everyone to "Jump in the pool... The water's fine..." :p Never mind that he's still a kid at age 55. :p

Meanwhile I'm sort of wondering what's going on right now Down Under? Have the bush fires sorted themselves out with seasonal rains or are they still raging out of control? Not a peep about it on the news outlets here these days.

Anyway, our Prime Minister continues to follow the best advice of his medical advisers regarding the pandemic. Canada is pretty much locked down for yet another month and expectations are that a new normal of social distancing and work from home where possible will be in effect for another year to a year and a half.

Dunno today's numbers but yesterday Canada stood at about 25000 cases and just over 1400 deaths.

The biggest worry so far is how it's tearing thru the nursing homes and new rules have gone into effect about healthcare workers working at multiple establishments. The rule now is "pick one and stick with it." Half the deaths in Canada so far have been in nursing homes.

As for me? I spent today going thru my tax documents and shredding outdated paperwork.

All I can say going into day 30 of the lockdown is THANK GOD the government legalized pot a year ago., You need something to take the edge off after watching 5 minutes of the horror show that is the daily news :p

Gary ;)

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
We need to relax the rules now here in Australia.
We need to keep the international border closed. We are the lucky country "isolated" from the rest of the world. We have only 60 covid deaths and daily numbers of new cases declining. Positive signs ahead.
Normality may be closer for us here down-under and relaxing the restrictions is imminent in my mind, albeit little by little maintaining social distancing and hygiene. I think gatherings of 6 or 10 should be the first reprieve for us.
Shops, clubs, pubs to be re-opened next.
Domestic travel allowed but as long as the international border remains closed we will be safe. We only have one border. It is a perimeter. We are girt by sea.
The financial damage is huge and hurting millions of people . . this needs to considered!

As for the fires, Gary as you asked, All good now as we approach winter. Honestly this year's fires were typical of every summer. Maybe more intense in one sense because they were wide spread impacting a vast areas of our country.
Also the Greenies want an excuse to blame "climate change" and used the fires as their tool to warn the world. Absolute rubbish in my mind. These last fires were really no more serious than any other. Bush Fires are a typical aspect of life for us down under and we expect devastation and property loss every year. It is impossible to fight nature on this and been the same for ever. There are things we could do better like clearing land near built up areas. Nothing to do with climate change. We have no control over lightning strikes in our vast forests. Nothing to do with climate change.

In 1939 we lost many lives due to fires. (not sure of the figures did not look it up). In 1987 we had fires killing about 80 people. Our worst fire season was 2009 . . we lost 180 people in Victoria alone. The 2019/20 fires we lost 33 people. . . Climate change? Did we have climate change in 2009? 1987? 1939?

Sorry, I got on my soap box! Covid in Australia is another story. Not sure I agree with our government to lock us down into the many months ahead. Not in Australia anyway. We are the 4th safest Covid country in the world (todays news).

I fear concert halls will be closed until Autumn 2021. That sucks!

I'd better shut up now! Ray

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
So since I wrote the above . . Our Prime Minister just announced that current restrictions will remain in place for another 4 weeks. I can live with that. After all, comparing this COVID beastie is like a snake! We put our foot on the snakes head and hold it down. We wouldn't take our foot off the snakes head until we are sure it is dead!
Anyway, the good news is that relief is close. The snake is close to its death!

Reaction score
For an uplifting story in these troubled times do look up online about

Captain Tom Moore

Veteran British soldier two weeks short of his 100th birthday.

I have posted a new thread of his inspirational activities

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I hate to burst your bubble Ray, but Australia is the 32nd most infected country in a world of over 200.

Canada is #12.

And Trump made America #1 yet again.

A distinction nobody wanted. :p

Here's where you keep score.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Incidentally, my hometown of Toronto went thru this a decade or so back with SARS.

People were sanitizing hands and avoiding crowds for 6 months or more back then and it was far less contagious than COVID.

Seriously, until we see a vaccine or unless everyone over 80 dies overnight we can expect to maintain serious degrees of social isolation for at least a year or two.

That's just how things are and no amount of wishful thinking will make it happen any more quickly.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
The mighty $

It is more important to those that have control in the USA than are the lives of its citizens.

The same can be said about so many other Countries.

Reaction score
Just seen on our News that unemployment has soared in the USA to 22,000,000

A sad statistic which will probably get even worst.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Jimmy Carr, my favorite UK comedian, is running his own little game show on Youtube during the lockdown.

Some of the questions are TOUGH!!!

YAY!!! :D :D :D

Gary ;)

Reaction score
816,000+ confirmed cases in the USA.

That is roughly 1 person in every 400.

Yet what do we see here in the UK?

Video of people in Denver protesting about the lockdown, driving about, banners galore wanting an end to the lockdown, and crowds not keeping any social distancing.

Then we see a person in Hospital Scrubs, facemask and faceshield standing in the road in front of a car with a protestor with a sign hanging out its window.

Priceless, the person in scrubs should be given the Congressional Medal of Honour for services to idiots.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Not much to do in the outside world.
Clubs, Pubs, Pokies, Golf, Fishing, Sports, Holidays, Brothels (joking), etc. . All non events. We were to be traveling to Darwin next week for our 45th Wedding Anniversary. Cancelled obviously.
So taking advantage of the isolation gives me extra time to play my beloved keyboard. Been playing for long periods everyday . . Old tunes, New tunes and experimenting. I'm quite content and relaxed with the lockdown situation. I have pulled out some tunes which I forgot about which I had trouble playing a few years ago. Now, I am playing these tunes much more smoothly. Just goes to show improvment. Such joy!
As well these forums are running at a fast pace. Enjoying the discussions too.
Turning lockdown into positive.
Cheers all and thanks for helping me through it.
Ray

Ask a Question