CTX vs WK vs Yamaha PSR

Reaction score
Do give your 3000 plenty of use in the next few weeks.

I briefly had a 5000, but returned it as the OS was very buggy and it did not remember Registrations and would frequently Lock Up. Hence my prior comment and because of this I would never buy a Casio.

The Y_man

Reaction score
Do give your 3000 plenty of use in the next few weeks.

I briefly had a 5000, but returned it as the OS was very buggy and it did not remember Registrations and would frequently Lock Up. Hence my prior comment and because of this I would never buy a Casio.
Thanks - been putting it thru its paces today. So far so good.

The Y-man

Reaction score
Hi there! I have a Yamaha P-125 digital piano but I'm looking to add a more portable option (batteries + lighter) for jam sessions, possibly busking etc. I'm also hoping for whatever I get to also provide some extra decent sound options (non piano instruments etc) to include in recordings I make with my P-125, and some type of ability to create a custom drum track (even use a built in one, manually adding fills etc then add another few signature bits manually using key triggered drums) to output to an audio file I can then use in performances.

I've been agonizing between the Casio CTX line (700 or 3000) and the WK arrangers (6600 and 7600). The WK ones seem to be getting a bit old, and none of these models are available for me to look at in my area, so it would be a cross my thumbs amazon order. I did try out the super cheap CTS-300, and for the money and portability it would be a fun thing to have to take to the beach, etc but it's a bit basic for what I'm after.

CTX-700:
I like the $, portability, the 6 track recorder (could make 2 track drum recordings that would probably work), and the velocity sensitive "expression" sounds seem awesome, and the basic piano sounds great. Wish it had line outs and ability to save to audio.

CTX-3000:
A bit heavier, much nicer speakers and adds a custom rhythm creator (but that might be overkill for my needs, I don't want to spend all my time programming)

WK-6600/7600:
I love the 76 keys, and they both have proper line outs and even mic in jacks (the 7600 even has an instrument in as well) but these came out in 2014 so not sure if this is a wise choice . . .

Yamaha PSR-E373:
Is available in my area and has a great piano sound, built in audio interface (huge feature for me - have this on the P-125 and the audio recording quality is stellar), only a 2 track recorder although that is prob enough for my simple drum track need. Some really nice expression sounds on acoustic instruments, but triggered with a button you have to hold down instead of a pedal? Seems kinda wrong.

If anyone with any of these models has any advice I would REALLY appreciate it. Thanks so much!
Wondering if a re-chargeable battery storage unit would work instead of batteries .? Anyone tried this ?

Reaction score
Wondering if a re-chargeable battery storage unit would work instead of batteries .? Anyone tried this ?
There are rechargeable AA cells which have a 1.5v 2800mWh capacity that I use in items around the home but have not tried them in a keyboard. Downside is they are quite expenstive.

So if one is handy at DIY one can always make up a larger capacity system yourself for use with a keyboard which has a battery compartment or a wall wart external power supply.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BEWARE of using rechargeable NiMH or NiCads in a keyboard.

My Juno DS can run on batteries and Roland warns against using rechargables in the keyboard. Alkaline ONLY!!!

ALWAYS check your manual before you try something like that.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
And yes, running it from a DC Battery Pack With Inverter may or may not cause problems depending on how noisy and how sinusoidal the output AC is.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Alot of the newer keyboards actually have a config setting where you specify alkaline vs. nimh rechargeable; not quite sure what that setting would do, but at least it's clear rechargeables are ok in those.

Ask a Question