Curious about your MIDI setups

Reaction score
I was wondering what people use for a MIDI channel strategy when setting up their rigs. What do YOU use different channels for? Would you use different channels on an MPK for pads, sliders, keyboard? Would you use different channels only for different controllers?

I have a MainStage rig that incorporates an AxeFX, MPK-61, MPK Mini, and iPad (possibly using it for a synth app or OnSong for PC). I also have a BOSS FS-6, sustain & Expression pedals. I have a Presonus 44VSL and an iConnectMIDI2+.

I guess the overall question is do you have a strategy for assigning MIDI channels and controller ports as well.

Thanks for any input you can give.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
studio_flowchart_MIDI_USB_routing.jpg

Here's my studio MIDI setup.

I generally try to keep my channels conventional. ie. 10 for percussion and usually put my basslines on channel 7.

Otherwise some of the devices are limited in the channels they can access, (ie. the drum boxes and the venom and the JD-Xi and the XW-P1) so those channels are pretty much fixed.

Channel 1 can see some pretty heavy use across multiple devices in those cases when creating layered sounds.

Generally though, I don't usually create more than 5 to 7 tracks for a song anyway and I don't really feel limited at all by the channels available.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question