DGX 670 -> Cut Time ?

Reaction score
A song I am starting on uses Cut Timing. I see no way to set the metronome to that.

So, I set the metronome sesttings to 2/4. But it obviously does not work. It changes back to 4/4. It does actually synch with the playing, but the measure count is off.

Now, If I set it that way and record, it works. But I want it to work when practicing. I won't bore you with why.

Anykone know if it can be done on the DGX 670?

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
On page 44 of the Owner's Manual it says

NOTE
You can change the time signature, volume and sound of the metronome on the display called up via [MENU]  Cursor buttons [Up][D][L][R] Metronome Setting, [ENTER]Cursor button [Up] 1 Metronome. For details, refer to the Reference Manual on the website.

The menu selections are listed on page 8 of the Reference Manual.

Unfortunately, I don't have access to a DGX-670, so I can't test the procedure myself.

Reaction score
You are correct about that. However what is not started in those documents is that it only works while recording. Totally ignored when not recording, and on fact the setting reverts back to 4/4 while practicing.

I got a reply from Yamaha support late yesterday and they said that what I need to do can't be done.

I appreciate your help.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
That's odd, because I thought the Metronome was used for practicing. I had thought perhaps that setting the Time Signature for a song or style would apply to making a recording, whereas setting the Time Signature for the Metronome would apply to practicing or playing live. It's disappointing that it doesn't work that way, but I suppose "it is what it is."

Reaction score
That's odd, because I thought the Metronome was used for practicing. I had thought perhaps that setting the Time Signature for a song or style would apply to making a recording, whereas setting the Time Signature for the Metronome would apply to practicing or playing live. It's disappointing that it doesn't work that way, but I suppose "it is what it is."
Yeah. I suppose using the metronome for that setting has some logic, if it in fact would work when practicing. But it doesn't. WTF!

It is interesting. I think the way it works has not been thought through. What seems logical to me is that a time signature should be able to be set for anything you are doing... period. But set it, then it's deactivated when you don't record... wow.

One of the features that I thought would be great turns out to not work well (I actually will be starting a post on that topic to see if anyone can tell me if it worked for them). That feature is the ability to re-record some measures with errors without having to record the whole song over again.

So I tested it... you set first measure to start recording, and what measure to stop. Problem is it does not stop exactly at the stop measure. You end up with a repaired measure (or measures of multiple in line) , but then the measure that was the next measure after the repair would have half of the first Note cut off... making it sound stacatto. Even if it worked great, I foresee someone needing to re-record a song's measure that has a a cut time signature and having found the time signature not working during practice led them to not use that. That will make the repair to possibly be a lot more work than just re-recording it over, if it could be done at all.

Reaction score
Ok. Here's another relalted issue, same song. Maybe this should be posted over on a Soundslice board. Thought I'd try here first, not sure if there is a soundslice board.

The sheet music, electronic, has what I would call a cent sign for the time signature. Beat at 74.

So, I as noted earlier in this thread, on the Yamaha, I can't find anything about that time signature on the 670. So, I set the time to 2/4, and recorded. It finished with the same measure count, so it seems good to go.

But, now I find that in Soundslicee, if I set the time signature to 2/4, 74 beats, it is not in synch with the recording. As well, in soundslice, I can set the time signature there to the cent sisgn. No good.

Any thoughts?

Update: Don't find a comment type forum for Soundslice. Tried Reddit, I guess I don't have enough Karma...Can't post.

Last edited:

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score

According to the article linked above, cut time is written as though it were regular 4/4 time, but the beat is on the half notes rather than on the quarter notes, so it is played as though it were 2/2. So you could try changing the tempo in Soundslice; I'm guessing it would need to either be halved or doubled depending on whether Soundslice is currently faster or slower than your song recording.

Reaction score
Well, this is interesting. So what I've found is this: The PGS app shows cut time (c like a cent sign), and BPM at 74. Only thing changeable there is BPM.

In Sounc slice, neither 2/2 nor 4/4 made any difference. But if I set the BPM to 148, it plays same speed as the PGS app.

Pretty confusing.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Well, this is interesting. So what I've found is this: The PGS app shows cut time (c like a cent sign), and BPM at 74. Only thing changeable there is BPM.

In Sounc slice, neither 2/2 nor 4/4 made any difference. But if I set the BPM to 148, it plays same speed as the PGS app.

Pretty confusing.

Unfortunately, getting everyone to agree with each other is ridiculously difficult. It's like everybody wants to use their own terminology, notation, methodology, etc.

Ask a Question