Digital Keyboard for Son

Reaction score
Hi - hope you can help.

I would like to buy a keyboard to help my son progress his music. He has so far passed grade two piano and also likes composing songs and tunes.

First priority is a good digital keyboard, pref 88 weighted keys to support his piano learning.
Second is the facility to record compositions on the keyboard and multitrack them.
However he would also need to import into the keyboard and would need a microphone or aux input for adding vocals.

I had looked at the Yamaha DGX640. However it doesn't have audio inputs, just USB.

There may be obvious answers to these - inputting vocals, or other instruments seems the biggest hurdle. What would be needed to record vocals at a reasonable level to the multitrack on a PC?

All help much appreciated.

Reaction score
There may be obvious answers to these - inputting vocals, or other instruments seems the biggest hurdle. What would be needed to record vocals at a reasonable level to the multitrack on a PC?

External audio interface and a good quality microphone.

Reaction score
External audio interface and a good quality microphone.

Thanks for reply. Forgive my lack of knowledge, but can you easily link by USB and sing directly onto a file you have transferred?

I'm wondering whether USB means an audio delay.

Can you audio in to the keyboard itself like this or do you have to use the PC?

Any thoughts on the keyboard welcomed. Ease of the recording interface would be good.

Cheers

Reaction score
"Forgive my lack of knowledge, but can you easily link by USB and sing directly onto a file you have transferred?"

This question I don't quite understand...
You can buy an audio interface that can be connected to PC by USB, so the sound will be processed by the audio interface (you might call it external sound card).
From the many sound card manufacturers, I recommend M-Audio. There products don't have delay.

"Can you audio in to the keyboard itself like this or do you have to use the PC?"

Some of the newer keyboards have microphone input, or high-end arrangers have a built-in recorder, but those are expensive keyboards.

Reaction score
"Can you audio in to the keyboard itself like this or do you have to use the PC?"

Some of the newer keyboards have microphone input, or high-end arrangers have a built-in recorder, but those are expensive keyboards.[/QUOTE]

Have a look at the Casio WK7500 although it has 76 keys, it has all the rest you want build in. Microphone input, midi AND audio recording, line in and out and USB-B to connect to a computer using the free to download Datamanager from the Casio website and a heck of a lot more.
For the money it is a great arranger keyboard.

Reaction score

Some of the newer keyboards have microphone input, or high-end arrangers have a built-in recorder, but those are expensive keyboards.

Have a look at the Casio WK7500 although it has 76 keys, it has all the rest you want build in. Microphone input, midi AND audio recording, line in and out and USB-B to connect to a computer using the free to download Datamanager from the Casio website and a heck of a lot more.
For the money it is a great arranger keyboard.[/QUOTE]

Thanks very much for this - the spec is really good, particularly for inputs.

I will definitely go and take a look at this.

Reaction score
Mr Moose,

You can download the manual with all the specifications in pdf-format. Easier than me writing it down here.
I have been and still am a Yamaha fan for many years and I have bought the WK7500 as an extra keyboard. NO other brand comes near for the money. It is a very complete arranger keyboard with some great sounds. What I don't like is the small buttons but there is always something.

Ask a Question