Digital keyboard noob

Reaction score
Looking for recommendations for home use, no gigs or bands.

I'm an acoustic piano player located in the US. I've never used an arranger, workstation or synth. I've used a small, simple MIDI connected to a DAW. There are no available physical stores to try things out. I have powered KRK speakers I can use.

• Important factors, high to low:
  • Piano, organ sounds
  • Keyboard feel, with less than 88 keys; keyboard will be on large desk
  • Ability to use (not create) styles, backing tracks, rhythms, 1 finger chords, i.e. accompaniment options; ability to import and edit the same would be nice
  • Split and layer
  • Availability of world music instruments, sounds, rhythms would be nice; doesn't have to be built in if downloads are available
  • Budget of less than $2000 preferred
  • Don't care about hip hop, EDM features
  • Ease of interface use and best learning curve.
Sweetwater sales guy recommended a Roland FA-07. Checking online videos that looks like more sound creation, but maybe it will work. I've checked videos for Korg, Yamaha and Roland (EA-7) arrangers, including the world models. I've also checked videos for the Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol.

Looking for thoughts/opinions/recommendations.
Thanks

Last edited:
Reaction score
Welcome.

A workstation ir arranger with less than 88 keys is likely to have what is called a synth action which will be very different to your acoustic piano.

I suggest you research more into the following:-

Arrangers
Roland EA 7
Korg PA 1000
Korg PA 700

Workstation/Synth
Roland Juno DS88
Roland FA8 or 7
Korg Kross 2 88 keys
Korg Krome 88

All the above are less than $2000 and it is an Arranger that will probably meet your criteria more closely.

Do be aware Arrangers have inbuilt amp and speakers Workstations will require external amp

I am not a fan of Yamaha at all so do not bother to keep up to date on their products, I did try their 970 and 770 Arrangers and found the sound and build quality way inferior to Korg or Roland’s equivalent models.

There are the official Korg Video Manual tutorials online as is Roland tutorials which are labelled as Product Support which should help you.

Last edited:

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
As Biggles said, a 76-note keyboard will typically have synth-action keys. However, you might be able to find a 76-note keyboard with piano-action keys if you shop for a "digital piano" rather than an "arranger." That might make a big difference as far as the number of timbres (voices, tones, programs, etc.) that are included, as well as whether or not there is an ability to play auto accompaniments, use 1-finger chords, etc. But you might be able to find a keyboard with arranger features that has 76 or 73 piano-action keys. I don't keep informed about many brands besides Yamaha, but somebody like Nord (to give one example) might have something.

Reaction score
Another point or teo.

Not sure if you can do this with a Roland Arranger but with my Korg PA I can import a MIDI file and the operating system will convert it into a Style, then I go into the new Style and tweak the instrument sounds to suit.

Additionally backing tracks can be loaded into the USB Memory stick and then loaded into the keyboard, this can also be undertaken in a Workstation.

Split and Layered sounds can best be customised on a Workstation, an Arranger is more limited in this regard.

Visit a music store if you can to try out as many different models as you can.

I lost count of the number of times I went into those near me to play the Korg Kross and the Roland Juno before I bought the Kross.

If I had to only have one keyboard it probably would be the Roland FA 8.

Reaction score
As others have said, arranger meets your needs better than workstation. Casio MZ-X500 is one that has not been mentioned, i's a good value. As for splits/layers, it easily lets you put split/layer up to 4 sounds although with only a single split point of your choosing. If you want to go beyond that, it's do-able, but a bit more complicated. As I understand it, its "hexlayers" consist of up to 6 sounds which may be split or layered any way you want, and you can combine up to 4 hexlayers, which would give you a way to split/layer up to 24 sounds.

Ask a Question