Does a band’s lyricist typically come up with melodies as well?

Reaction score
I just discovered an underground band from my area that recently released an EP on indie record label. On that EP, I found something peculiar about the songwriting credits.

All the music is credited to the entire band, while all the lyrics AND all the melodies are credited to the band’s lead singer.

I thought that the creation of melodies (as well as harmonies, rhythms, riffs, and chord progressions) are part of the entirety of musical composition. And I thought that a band lyricist just generated the words.

How can a band have its lyricist credit himself with all the melodies?

How can a band’s lead singer come up with BOTH the lyrics and the melodies at the same time?

Isn’t musical composition considered a complete package consisting of melodies, harmonies, rhythms, riffs, and chord progressions?

If an entire band is credited with the musical composition, shouldn’t the whole band come up with all the melodies as well during the songwriting process?

Any professional songwriters here care to give some input?

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I'm not a professional songwriter, but I'd say it's up to each band. And the person who came up with the lyrics and melody might not be the one who sings the song-- often, but not necessarily.

The melody may just be the music for the lyrics, plus the basic guitar chords, or bass lines, or piano/keyboard riffs-- depending on which band member (guitarist, bassist, etc.) wrote the song. Unless the song writer is a megalomaniac control freak, he or she probably isn't going to take the time to think up and write down every single drum beat, bass line, guitar lick, keyboard riff, etc.-- each band member would most likely come up with their own part based on the song's basic melody, beat, and chord progressions, with the other members probably giving them feedback on whether something "works" or not. So the song might be written by one member, but arranged by the entire band. And in some cases the song's arrangement may vary each time the band plays the song, depending on the type of music, the improvisational skills of the band members, etc.

On the other hand, if the person is a composer, he or she might carefully plan out and write down every infinitesimal detail of every instrument's part-- flute, clarinet, saxophone, trumpet, trombone, tuba, violin, cello, bass drum, snare drum, timpani, cymbals, etc.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I was watching an interview with Ice Cube or Ice T on Conan last week and he mentioned that when he writes a song, despite being musically illiterate, he will hum a tune to the real musicians in his band and they will pick up the nuts and bolts work of turning it into a commercial arrangement.

Depending on the ego of the vocalist and the degree of tolerance the band has for the "Headliner" of the group I can quite easily see where the bulk of the credit ends up going to the "Name" of the act and everyone else settles for a session credit.

That's just the way the biscuit crumbles in the music industry. It may not be right and it may not be pretty, but considering the rest of their excesses this is probably the most excusable injustice in the industry today :p

Gary

Ask a Question