drum fills and drum rolls on a keyboard

Reaction score
Keeping a beat doesn't seem to difficult when drumming on a keyboard. But i was wondering if there are any online lessons about doing drum fills and or drum rolls on a keyboard.

i am sorry if this has been asked before but i did not know where to post this question.

Please excuse my ignorance. :)

Reaction score
Hey Johnny,

Google "finger drumming". You'll find a lot of stuff relating to sample pads, but you can also find keyboard-related stuff. A lot of the principles are the same, in any case.

Good luck and have fun!

Paul

Reaction score
Live one handed drum fills and rolls on midi keyboard requires that one takes into account the structure of the human hand. I lay out the toms on the keys so that, as the hand opens/expand the toms go from high to low. This means (for me) that while high toms are adjacent(C,C# D) the middle tom (B,.. D#,E) and floor tom (A.. and F) are split. This is my right handed, extended roll tom layout that I access with a momentary pedal when I wish to perform an extended tom roll or tom fill. Because the keyboard is up/down symmetric, adaption of this for left handed players is also possible. I use only one hand because I need the other hand for many other musical jobs.

Ask a Question