Enabling chord dictionary in Yamaha E463

Reaction score
It says on the specs that it has chord dictionary function but I can't seem to enable it!
When I play a chord the name doesn't show up on the display!

Can anyone help me out?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Reaction score
There ain't such a button. :(
The chord name only shows while using auto accompaniment as @CowboyNQ mentioned earlier.

The info was from a manual for the 453.

Just had a look at the manual for the 463 and there is no reference for a Chord Dictionary function.

Cannot help further.

You need Michael (the Yamaha E series Guru here) to come online as he might well know one way or the other.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I haven't looked at the manual yet, but I know that certain features were removed from the PSR-E463/PSR-EW410. For example, I know that the Music Database feature was omitted. It may indeed be the case that the Chord Dictionary feature was also omitted.

Reaction score
The info was from a manual for the 453.
No Col, from the 463. Click on the link I provided and you'll see. Page 19.

As I alluded to earlier (and please take this info with the grain of salt that I've never played a Yamaha E series machine) it kind of makes sense that the chord dictionary would only work when using auto accomp.

From a philosophical point of view, auto accompaniment works by interpreting the note choices you make with your left hand and turning them into the most relevant chord. By displaying the chord dictionary the machine is simply giving you a visual insight as to what result it came up with, to go along with the aural output you're already receiving.

You start extending that functionality across both hands and the entire board, well things get a little trickier for your poor old keyboard, as the many "what chord is this" debates on this very forum can attest. Not impossible, but very challenging and with certain assumptions being made in the programming. And for what purpose?

So while I'm sure such a thing is doable (and maybe exists in certain keyboards, maybe even this one if I misunderstand the manual) the point of diminishing returns probably gets reached pretty quickly.

Last edited:

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
No Col, from the 463.

I think Col was saying that the information he had posted about the CHORD button was from a PSR-E453 manual, and that later when he checked the PSR-E463 manual he saw that there's no reference to the Chord Dictionary. So it's all good-- except that the Chord Dictionary was removed from the PSR-E463/PSR-EW410, which is bad if you liked that feature. I suppose that adding the new sampling feature and further expanding the number of patterns meant that other features had to be dropped to make "room" for the new stuff while still keeping the price about the same. The Chord Dictionary and Music Database apparently drew the short straws and got dropped, presumably because they were deemed to be the most expendable features.

Reaction score
To clarify.

I searched for the 433 manual but Google did not return a link for the 433 but it did for the 453

https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/3/331283/psre443_en_om_b0.pdf

It is from page 49 of the 453 manual that I posted the info.

Yes, the link shows the 443 but it is not that manual that is displayed it is the 453

So Michael is correct inhis post

As it seems to be the Dict function is very different from the name of the chord simply being shown on the lcd, looks to have been a useful function for a newbie and to find those little used ones.

Reaction score
Col you have thoroughly confused me now.

I searched for the 433

it is from page 49 of the 453 manual that I posted the info.

Yes, the link shows the 443

OP owns a 463. Not a 443, not a 453 not a 433.

463 is the link that I posted. That's the keyboard he owns. I feel like I'm living in a parallel universe at the moment but if it were me, that's the manual I'd be referring to!

Reaction score
Paul

Yamaha being Yamaha I could not find any reference in the 463 manual so looked in earlier versions and offered those suggest to get the Op to try them in the hope that they worked.

If the suggestion worked then it was a manual error in omitting the info

If the actions did not work then likely as not it is a downgrade of the model by Yamaha.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Yamaha styles recognize 35 different types of chords, plus a few additional fingerings that aren't "chords" per se, such as an octave, a fifth, and "no chord" (for the "tacit" sections).

The 35 chord types were listed in the Owner's Manual of earlier models (such as the PSR-E403/YPT-400), but that information was moved to the Song Book for later models. The version in the Song Book doesn't mention the extra fingerings-- but it does show the main 35 chord types in a graphical format, whereas the earlier version was more of a text-only format.

Note that the Song Books aren't in the same section of Yamaha Support as the manuals; instead, they're listed in the downloads area-- but you can just search for the particular one you want, such as "PSR-E463 Song Book."

As far as looking up the name of a chord if your keyboard doesn't have a "chord dictionary" feature, there's an app called "Chords and Scales" that's available for iOS, Android, Windows, and macOS. The free iOS version shows 13 chord types, but the paid version adds 39 more chord types-- 52 in all. It shows a keyboard with notes of the chord marked, plus a treble clef as well as a bass clef staff with the chord in notation form. You can also choose between the different inversions of the chord. Besides chords and scales, it also includes chord progressions and the circle of fifths, so it's a very useful app.

There's another app called "Piano Companion" that has similar features.

EDIT -- Correction, the "Chords and Scales" app isn't available for Windows (yet?). It's the similar "Piano Companion" app that's also available for Windows.

Last edited:

Ask a Question