Fantom x8 vs Korg M50-88

Reaction score
i intend to buy a new keyboard and i've found these two to be in my price range and can't really decide which one is best. i play in a metal band so i am going to use it on stage and also in the studio. any helpfull advice on what to go with?

Reaction score
I'd go for Korg.

The fantom was Roland's flagship keyboard, and the M50 is just a midrange workstation,
but having in mind you'll be playing in a metal band, I think you'll be far better of with Korg's sounds.

No sampling on the m50 though - keep that in mind

Reaction score
but doesn't the m50 have a cheaper feel, with the plastic cover and all....and the fantom x having an aluminum one?

Reaction score
You said the M50-88.

That one has hammer keys - not the plastikcy ones. But regardless to that - you should always try any keyboard you're thinking of buying.

P.S.

FantomX8 - 29Kg
M50-88 - 20Kg

Reaction score
i also play in metal bands, i stick with KORG. very good interface for live and studio. and bomb ass strings and leads. much more tweakable, roland will give you a head ache, take my advice man.

also I sujest buying a used Triton, its much more powerful then the TR or x50. and those are based off the triton, just with less power. M50 is good but isnt as powerful as the M3 and i see that as a HUGE short coming, wich is why i stil chose the triton.

Reaction score
Obviously yes hehe.

A triton (the original one) is 10-11 years old, and it's ROM size is only 32Mb, while the M50 has 256.

But, the triton uses another synthesis engine - so called HI engine, while the M50
uses the same new synthesis engine found in the M3 - EDS (Enhanced Definition Synthesis)

Also, M50 has 80 notes of polyphony, while the Triton has 62

Reaction score
Yeah i must agree, The triton is old but still powerful, the m50 lacks a sampler wich is kind of a big deal. i would personaly go for the M3 and not the m50, its just that much better if you ask me.

Reaction score
an opportunity has come up for me to buy a yamaha motif es8. would you recomand it to the korg ?(in the same situation of the metal band)

Reaction score
I had the ES, and it's a great keyboard... but it's nowhere near the power Korgs have when it comes to massive strings/pads.

You see... Yamaha's strings/pads are beautifull, crisp and crystal clear - BUT for some reason they always get above the mix in a strange way (at least they did for me - and i was playing in a rock cover band).

Korg on the other hand has massive, lush, creamy pads which fill the background making the overall sound seem much more bigger.

On the other hand - Motif blows any korg away when it comes to acoustic sounds.

So in this case - no, i wouldn't go with the motif.

Reaction score
WOW. thats a nice keyboard. I would sujest it yes because the motif is a great board.

HOWEVER. for metal, i will always feel KORG is the way to go, thats why all the metal guys use KORG. if you can buy a motif i assume you have the money for an M3 wich would be better for metal.

so i will sujest KORG for metal. Personally i feel yamaha only surpasses in its piano

Reaction score
WOW. thats a nice keyboard. I would sujest it yes because the motif is a great board.

HOWEVER. for metal, i will always feel KORG is the way to go, thats why all the metal guys use KORG. if you can buy a motif i assume you have the money for an M3 wich would be better for metal.

so i will sujest KORG for metal. Personally i feel yamaha only surpasses in its piano

might i just say again, as a metal player I use alot of strings and analog leads. You will find these better in KORG. Also the interface is much better then yamaha, if your live and you realize a program in your combi is bad, you can get rid of it in a click! with yamaha it seems to take a little longer

so yes go with KORG

Reaction score
might i just say again, as a metal player I use alot of strings and analog leads. You will find these better in KORG. Also the interface is much better then yamaha, if your live and you realize a program in your combi is bad, you can get rid of it in a click! with yamaha it seems to take a little longer

so yes go with KORG

Not quite... Yamaha has TONS of buttons instead of a touch screen interface.
I never had any trouble when it comes to managing my way around the ES.

There's a button for everything... you don't need to poke around the menus
since you can instantly get somewhere you want with a single press of a button.

But, yes... it is a totally different approach to editing stuff.

Reaction score
Not quite... Yamaha has TONS of buttons instead of a touch screen interface.
I never had any trouble when it comes to managing my way around the ES.

There's a button for everything... you don't need to poke around the menus
since you can instantly get somewhere you want with a single press of a button.

But, yes... it is a totally different approach to editing stuff.

you are correct, however in my experience having button for everything can be bad, i personally find the touch screen much more interactive cause everything can be done in one setting. just my preference though, i mean people buy other boards for a reason.. i just cant understand why theyd go for a roland

Reaction score
you are correct, however in my experience having button for everything can be bad, i personally find the touch screen much more interactive cause everything can be done in one setting. just my preference though, i mean people buy other boards for a reason.. i just cant understand why theyd go for a roland

Haha... My thought exactly... Actually i can think of one situation...
If I had the XS, M3 and tons of money I didn't need - I'd probably get the Fantom too :D

Reaction score
Haha... My thought exactly... Actually i can think of one situation...
If I had the XS, M3 and tons of money I didn't need - I'd probably get the Fantom too :D

I gues i would too... but if i didnt have tons of money!

**** IT!

Ask a Question