FC7 On DGX-660?

Reaction score
Can an FC7 volume expression pedal be used on a DGX-660?

My first learning: I thought I was ordering a 'better' sustain pedal, now I realize it is a volume expression pedal.

Reaction score
Your DGX is a digital piano with some arranger capabilities.

As such the add on pedal unit is the three pedal functionality that you will find on an acoustic piano.

The sustain pedal can via the menu setting provide different funtions, see the manual for details of what it can be used for.

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, Biggles.

Your reply leaves me thinking I cannot use this pedal but having not specifically said that I am going to ask again, this pedal will not work on the 660, correct?

FYI, the unit did come with a much smaller pedal which I understand is a sustained pedal.

Reaction score
Will the FC-7 work as what on your DGX-660, an expression pedal or a sustain pedal? If you are asking about the latter, no. It' s an expression pedal and that's how it functions. They are two different pedals with different capabilities and they arent interchangeable.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes, I knew it was an expression pedal. But checking the input cable, it's the same as the sustain pedal. I have a sustain pedal. Looks like I need to use the 3 pedal system plugged into the pedal unit port.

I've put in a request to return the FC-7.

Reaction score
The 3 pedals provide the same function as those on an acoustic grand piano; damper pedal (to sustain notes), soft pedal (to soften the sound) and sostenuto (to sustain selected notes).

The damper pedal in the 3 pedal unit supports half dampening fir an even more acoustic piano feel.

Reaction score
The 3 pedals provide the same function as those on an acoustic grand piano; damper pedal (to sustain notes), soft pedal (to soften the sound) and sostenuto (to sustain selected notes).

The damper pedal in the 3 pedal unit supports half dampening fir an even more acoustic piano feel.
Ok. So can I not have an expression pedal on the DGX 660?

Reaction score
OK, one last time. NO, the FC7 will not work. It is an expression pedal and the DGX-660 does not even have a port for an expression pedal connection.
Picture one that I attached shows the back of the keyboard, there is:

Power cord connection
mic input
mic volume
aux in
headphones out
pedal unit (if you want to purchase their 3 pedal assembly)
SUSTAIN PEDAL
USB Connection
Contrast knob

NOTE: no expression pedal input for a pedal like the FC7 is available on the unit.

Picture #2 attached describes the sustain pedals that the unit accepts (that are Yamaha pedals):
FC3A (can do half-pedaling)
FC4 (can't do half-pedaling)
FC5 (can't do half-pedaling)

Other sustain pedals will also work, so you are not just limited to Yamaha sustain pedals, however the FC7 pedal is NOT a sustain pedal; and since the unit doesn't have a jack for expression/volume, the FC7 is not designed for your keyboard.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    19.6 KB · Views: 91
  • Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 95
Reaction score
You need to learn how to read. I did not ask again if the fc7 will work. I asked " So can I not have an expression pedal on the DGX 660?," That is a distinct and different question.

On top of that you're displaying quite the attitude Ift's such a pain in your rear to answer please ignore my posts.

Reaction score
You asked if you can have an expression pedal on the keyboard. I said no, (for the 3rd time). You keep asking the same question and dont want to seem to accept the answer. Stop wasting our time..... Dont bother replying, you're now on ignore.

Reaction score
Glad to hear it. If you could read it wouldn't have been frustrating for you.

Just because the FC7 doesn't work doesn't mean some other one won't... Especially to a beginner.

Reaction score
Your DGX has two sockets for connecting pedals.

One socket has a multi pin configuration and this is for the three pedal unit NO expression pedal will work on this socket.

The other socket is a 1/4” jack for the sustain pedal. This socket has other functions that it can be set to in the Menu. None of which indicate any Expression function hence NO expression pedal will work on this socket.

Using this socket for anything other than Sustain is bad practice, unless you have the three pedal unit.

Yamaha Manuals are pretty crappy at the best of times and the one for the DGX does not have Expression listed in the Index.

For info this is what the three pedal unit does:-
Damper Pedal (Right)
Pressing this pedal will sustain notes longer. Releasing this pedal immediately stops (damps) any sustained notes. This pedal lets you use the Damper Resonance (page 21) and Half Pedal (see above) functions. When using both a footswitch and pedal unit, the last effect applied takes priority.

Sostenuto Pedal (Center)
If you play a note or notes on the keyboard and press the sos- tenuto pedal while the note(s) are held, those notes will sus- tain as long as you hold the pedal (as if the damper pedal had been pressed) but all subsequently played notes will not be sustained. This makes it possible to sustain a note or notes, for example, while other notes are played “staccato.”

Soft Pedal (Left)
The soft pedal reduces the volume and slightly changes the timbre of notes played while the pedal is pressed. The soft pedal will not affect notes that are already playing when it is pressed.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Along with Delaware Dave I have to agree that your constant creation of new and similar threads, seemingly documenting your first month's struggles with a new toy are starting to get on my nerves as well.

We're all grownups here and expect similar conduct from all who venture here. As a grownup you are well aware of how to operate a computer and the Almighty GOOGLE machine.

Instead of starting arguments with regulars who are only trying to help it behooves me to say that you should try and research every question yourself before summoning some well meaning doofus to explain every detail about creating music and modern synthesizers and not putting in the effort of reading the manuals and searching google and youtube yourself!!!

In these forums we're happy to help out but prefer to leave the moral support and handholding to our significant others.

I've never put anyone on ignore here before and do not intend to do so ever.

Just to show we're not bad guys here's a few links to get you started;. The rest is in your manual and your music books if you ever find the time between posts to read them.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Mia culpa...I apoligize to all and especially to delaware dave. While my initial question was if the FC7 worked on the DGX, which I did learn early, but it was not at all clear that the fact is there are none that will. I probably could have worded my questions better.

The attitude he came in with heated me up, I should have taken my own advice and just kept my typing quiet.

Chuckling to myself about one thing...I did use Google to try to find out if the FC7 worked on the 660. All it returned was ads for all kinds of pedals.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Your Google-Fu is weak grasshopper. You must learn to rephrase a question two or three times sometimes to get the right answer. And don't underestimate google. You can type in complete queries with punctuation and all and it will return your beginners' questions a thousandfold asked and answered by the millions of beginners who came before you, me, and everyone...

Gary ;)

Reaction score
OK, one last time. NO, the FC7 will not work. It is an expression pedal and the DGX-660 does not even have a port for an expression pedal connection.

NOTE: no expression pedal input for a pedal like the FC7 is available on the unit.

and since the unit doesn't have a jack for expression/volume, the FC7 is not designed for your keyboard.

js... he said 3 times that the 660 keyboard can't use an expression pedal.

Reaction score
I had a somewhat similar issue I was trying to figure out. I have the DGX-660, and I have the 3-pedal unit that's integrated into a frame. I just got another keyboard, and an OnStage Z-stand with two tiers, which doesn't fit with the pedal in the frame member,because it is too wide. I was looking around for a free standing 3-pedal unit with the right connector, to no avail. Finally a Yamaha tech rep - who honestly had a bit of an attitude which feels very in character in this thread - told me I could remove the pedal assembly from the frame member, and attach it to a separate wood block - with velcro, whatever - to stabilize it. Voila!

I have other questions about my 660, but that's a subject for another post. :)

Reaction score
Can an FC7 volume expression pedal be used on a DGX-660?

My first learning: I thought I was ordering a 'better' sustain pedal, now I realize it is a volume expression pedal.
I have a DGX 670. Just ordered the 3 pedal. On the Casio PXS3100, if you buy the separate 3 pedal unit, it allows you to use the 1/4 inch sustain input as a volume/expression pedal input. I dig the 670 compared to the PSRSX9000.

Ask a Question