Audio recording on Yamaha DGX-650

Reaction score
Hello.

After searching the web for a while it seems like this forum may be the right one to ask my question.

I'm trying to record audio on a Yamaha DGX-650.
More specifically, what I want to do is record a User Song (song numbers 101-105), save the MIDI file to USB, make some adjustments in MIDI software and then play that MIDI file on the DGX-650 and record the audio using the Audio Save feature.
The same for MIDI files that I create in software on computer.

This at least seems to be impossible, since only user songs can be selected in the Audio Save menu and songs on a USB stick cannot be loaded as a user song.
So that's where I'm stuck.

I'm not sure if I'm missing something here.
Is this not possible and, if so, are there any alternatives?

Thanks.

Bart

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I don't think it's possible to use that onboard feature to do it. As you noted, the feature works with User Songs but not with MIDI song files; and while you can convert a User Song to a MIDI song file, there's no reverse function for converting a MIDI song file to a User Song.

The simplest solution is to play back the edited MIDI song file on the keyboard, but use a computer program such as a DAW (digital audio workstation) to record the keyboard's audio output as the song is playing back.

At the very least, you would need either a special 1/4"-to-1/8" TRS cable to connect the keyboard to the computer, or a 1/8"-to-1/8" TRS cable (commonly called an "auxiliary audio cable") along with a male-1/4"-to-female-1/8" TRS adapter, such as the following:

or

and

If you already have an auxilary audio cable, then you might want to just get the adapter to go with it.

However, you'll usually get a cleaner audio signal if you use a USB audio interface. I use an inexpensive Behringer interface with a special TRS-to-RCA cable with some of my Yamaha keyboards, as follows:

and

However, when I bought the Behringer UCA222 from Amazon it cost $30, and now it's listed on Amazon as $75, so I don't know why its price has more than doubled. I think I saw it listed on other sites for much less than $75, but it may have been the UCA202 I saw. Either one should work fine, as long as you have the correct type of cable to go from your keyboard to the interface.

As for DAWs and other audio recording software, some people prefer the free Audacity audio recording software, but there are also free DAWs you can use, such as PreSonus Studio One Prime or Cakewalk by BandLab.

Reaction score
Ah yes, then recording the audio would be by far the easiest solution indeed.

I found that my issue is explained on the Yamaha support pages. I'll include the link here:
https://usa.yamaha.com/support/faq/keyboards/8257.html

I do tend to use free software wherever I can so Audacity will probably be the way to go.
That Behringer interface looks like a valid alternative. I live in Europe and I find prices as low as €20 in certain web shops.
That's a more than acceptable price tag.

I'll have a further look at all this.
Thanks for the excellent suggestions!

Bart

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
You're welcome! And don't rule out using a free DAW rather than the free Audacity program. Audacity should be a little easier to learn and use, but most DAWs are not that much more difficult to learn and use-- unless you spend a lot of money to get a top-of-the-line professional DAW such as Avid Pro Tools, which IIRC has a user manual over 1000 pages long! The advantage of using a DAW over Audacity is the ability to work with MIDI as well as audio, but if you have no plans to work with MIDI then Audacity should fill your needs nicely. Just be sure to download it from the developers' website rather than from Source Forge, because the version on Source Forge is old and no longer supported by the development team. The version you want is at the https://www.audacityteam.org/ website.

Ask a Question