first keyboard, for "learning" and stuff

Reaction score
Hello guys. :)

I've always just played the guitars and similarly-looking instruments :oops:

I'd like to get a little keyboard, to see if I will get as caught, and if I will be able to make something out of it

I'm new to this world and I don't know where to put the money more conveniently in my situation and in order to make the first purchase futureproof.

I've been looking around. I've seen many keyboards that promise 2000 instruments, effects and stuff in 500 bucks... shall I believe them? I think I'd use less than 10 of them, and I'd be fine with just only one, if worth the money.

I'd be fine with just-a-synth, or just-an-organ. synth-like, mellotron-like, hammond-like, continental-like sounds; whatever, I don't want to have them all now, just one or two of these would be fine by now for practicing, but at least let it be well-sounding.

so I was thinking about something like the Korg R3, or about a 3/4 octave controller + cheap desktop module.

...Do well-built 2-to-4 octaves controllers even exist? the ones I've came through all looked like toys, with a ton of knobs and buttons and faders on them. Again, it's not my thing but... Why don't most controllers meet the eye and the fingertips as well? Do good controllers always come with the whole instrument?

if tldr, to SUM UP:
...interested in:
- cheap synth or combo or hammond module.
- beautiful 2 to 4 octave controller.
- Or something like the korg R3, also second-hand or used.

...budget: 500 euros

...NOT interested in:
- grandpianos, orchestras, string quartets, ethnic ensembles
- sequencers, arrangers, multieffects, multilayers
- having to use a computer

thank you all a lot

The Y_man

Reaction score
Unlike guitars, electronic keyboards are generally NOT futureproof, no matter how good the brand etc. They have an "expected operational life" of 5-10 years, at max 20 years.....

The Y-man

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I think you'd be more than happy enough to start off with a Yamaha PSR E433 or a Casio XW-P1 or a Casio CTK-6000.

All of these could be had for well inside your budget and would offer a 5 octave keyboard that can handle proper organ and synth sounds and simply consider the extra sounds to be "gravy."

Even if you don't need the extra sounds today, you'll soon find yourself finding uses for the extra sounds after a few weeks of playing around with them.

Likewise, 2 to 4 octaves is OK for practicing scales and chords, but to accomplish anything musically on a keyboard you need at least 5 octaves.

Imagine a 3 stringed guitar and you basically have a 3-4 octave keyboard. ;)

Gary

Ask a Question