GEM Pro 2 to Pro 1 Conversion

Reaction score
Posting this here in case anyone else needs it, I had an old Generalmusic Pro 2 which had the CPU board die (Like it does on all Pro 2) and I spent a good 5 years trying to source one with no luck. However, looking at the service manual I figured out that internally it's almost identical to the Pro 1, the only parts that are different are the button board, CPU board, and the 6 pin cable that goes from the PSU to the CPU board. Those I could find online, so I ordered them, and after some dremeling/drilling to the case to make it all fit, got myself a fulling working keyboard again for $70.

Now, you gotta be pretty handy to make it work, but in my case it was definitely worth it. I couldn't find anything at all while googling it before, but did find plenty of other people with broken Pro 2's lying around so figured I'd put this up there just so people know it is possible.

Reaction score
Posting this here in case anyone else needs it, I had an old Generalmusic Pro 2 which had the CPU board die (Like it does on all Pro 2) and I spent a good 5 years trying to source one with no luck. However, looking at the service manual I figured out that internally it's almost identical to the Pro 1, the only parts that are different are the button board, CPU board, and the 6 pin cable that goes from the PSU to the CPU board. Those I could find online, so I ordered them, and after some dremeling/drilling to the case to make it all fit, got myself a fulling working keyboard again for $70.

Now, you gotta be pretty handy to make it work, but in my case it was definitely worth it. I couldn't find anything at all while googling it before, but did find plenty of other people with broken Pro 2's lying around so figured I'd put this up there just so people know it is possible.
I own the GEM Equinox; both the 76 key and the 88. Both still run and I still gig with 76 key; the 88 could be gigged with but at 72 pounds my back says "no more". The Piano in the 88 is the Real Piano; sounds rather nice.

Rumor has it that after GEM went bankrupt a warehouse full of 'parts' was purchased by this company:

Might want to ping them to see what they have done with the parts and if any are for sale. Might be able to actually get your Pro2 back in order, rather than having it downgraded to a PRO 1.

Reaction score

I have a Pro 1 with issues that I found locally for free. The previous owner had gone into the keyboard and into the AC adapter/power supply. Wouldn’t power on when I got it. I hooked an adjustable voltage power adapter to it but had to increase voltage to 17V instead of the marked 12V on the input of the keyboard to get it to power on. All button functions seem to work as does the display, but I can get no sound. Trying to figure what direction to go in!

Ask a Question