Gone keyboard crazy

Reaction score
I can't sleep, have to get a keyboard this weekend after playing the app version for the ipad, all my old songs came back to me that I have not played in over 20 years. I need some quick advice though so he I am...

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Hi Jacob,

Welcome aboard,

Take a valium and chill... :D :D :D

Unless you're made of money it's never a good idea to rush into a major expense like a keyboard.

Give us an idea of where you're at and we'll try and steer you toward something you'll enjoy for years instead of cursing for decades ;)

What's your budget?

What's your playing level and how much keyboard experience do you already have?

Do you have any specific requirements?

Weighted? Unweighted Synth Action? Hammer Action Keys?

Size DOES matter. 88, 76, or 61 or 49 keys?

For home use or for gigging on the road?

Built in speakers or do you plan to hook up to an amp or PA system?

Looking for whacky synth sounds or realistic instruments or both?

Looking for arranger style auto accompaniment or workstation style playability?

What style of music are you into/wanna play?

Again, what's your budget?

Ask yourself a few of these questions, browse a few online music stores for acceptable models and then give them a listen on Youtube where you'll find reviews of almost every keyboard ever made.

Make a list of features and price that you want and then ask us in here for our opinions.

We can help but you still have to be able to do your own heavy lifting :D

Gary

Reaction score
Hi Gary, nice to meet you! I posted a thread on the old light up key keyboards which is really what I'm after to get my son interested...he's only 1 but I'm starting early! I'm looking to spend about £200.00 then upgrade if we are both still at it in a year or two.
Ideally if it works with my mac, even better but not a necessity as the mac is in the studio and its out of bounds to family what with the scalpels and all :)

I was surprised that the music from my old children's light up key keyboard stayed with me to now so I guess it was an effective tool. My main requirement as weird as it may sound is, we'll it must have the old hoagy Carmichael song 'Heart and Soul' which I only found under the Casio LK-90tv which is a discontinued line with only a beat up version on the Amazon US site...any help would be grand :)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Hiya back Atcha Jake... ;)

Anyway, according to page E-68 of the manual for the Casio LK-280 you can load up to ten songs into a USER bank so conceivably you could find a MIDI of Heart and Soul with proper left and right hand MIDI tracks and load it into the keyboard for lighted play mode.

http://www.casio.com/products/Digital_Pianos_&_Keyboards/Lighted_Keys/LK-280/

http://support.casio.com/pdf/008/Web_LK280-E-1A.pdf

My advice is to post over at http://casiomusicforums.com with any questions about the limitations of using lighted mode with 3rd party MIDI files. A couple of very experienced and helpful factory reps post over there.

Gary

Ask a Question