Good quality Studio Monitors...

Reaction score
For a single instrument like Juno X, in a 10'x10' room, do I need to get 2 monitors or just one monitor is enough?

Any recommendation for a good quality brand / model that won't cause me to rob a bank or get a second on my house?

Reaction score
If you play a lot of stereo patches that have panning effects, then for sure -- stereo is the way to go.

I've had great results with my JBL MkII 305s (5" powered studio monitors); they get good reviews and of course, there are better/more expensive ones out there.

Another thing to consider -- studio monitors are designed to have a "flat frequency response", which is preferred for mixing and mastering; whereas other powered "speakers" (those not using "monitor" in the name) may have different EQ settings for the room type or live, etc.

When I'm not mixing/mastering, I don't use the smaller JBLs but use my Mackie Thump 12s (12") -- and even when run at the same volume as the JBLs, I do find their sound "more rich" for lack of a better term.

Many music stores have a setup of various monitors and/or speakers so you can compare A to B to C, etc. I'd highly suggest you visit some stores and see what sounds best to your ears with the types of sounds you'll be playing.

And get some other feedback too -- hope some others chime in here.

Old No7

Reaction score
Go big or go home !

IMG_4938.jpeg

Reaction score
You don't specify a budget.

I recently discovered the QSC CP8 monitor/ PA system. I haven't listened to them. QSC's previous "K" series had a glowing reputation; the CP8 seems to be a lower-priced line, with equally glowing reviews. If you can afford them, one or two would be overkill for your room -- but that's better than "not enough".

I just got my EV ZXA1 speaker back from the repair shop. It's overkill for my room (10' x 13'), but sounds very nice. I do occasionally take it out for performances; it fills a 100-seat room just fine.

I would suggest, if you value low-frequency sound, a woofer of 5" or larger would be a good idea. The amount of air a woofer will move is (roughly) proportional to the cube of the diameter.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Actually Presonus has done miracles with the bass response from 5" front ported woofers in the E5's such that I've never felt the need of hooking up a spare 8" sub I have kicking around.

Reaction score
Actually Presonus has done miracles with the bass response from 5" front ported woofers in the E5's such that I've never felt the need of hooking up a spare 8" sub I have kicking around.
I am looking at them on Amazon (since I have enough $ credit in my acct there) but couldn't decide due to few things.

- What is the Gen 1 (2017 models) and Gen 2 (claimed to be the 2024 models) difference ? No info anywhere?
- Other than the 1/2 inch, what is the difference between 4.5" Eris and 5" Eris ?

Does older version is as good as the newer one without having the Blurtooth option? I don't think I'll ever use bluetooth for my monitors anyways but again, is there any other new improvements that worth choosing over Gen 1?

Reaction score
I had the 4.5 for a while, great speakers but I penny pinched then sold them on.

If I had gone with the Eris 5 then I would probably still have them.

Reaction score
I have a Roland FA-07 and picked up a pair of Yamaha HS-8's and am very happy with them, I could have gone smaller with the 5's but the 8's sounded great.....go to Cosmo or L&M and listen to what they have set up to listen for yourself......I was advised to go with the two because the keyboard has stereo effects...glad I did. Not ideal placement but......
P1000153.JPG

Reaction score
I had a pair of KRK G8 on my Tyros (easy to spot with bright yellow cones). The sounded superb and I understand similar to Duffman's Yamaha HS-8. Likewise, they come is various prices and sizes and are close field monitors.

I think it's just a matter of personal preference of the look, cost and most of all the sound you like.

Hope this helps.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The moral of the story?

Spend $400 to $500 on anything called Nearfield Studio Monitors and you'll be happy.

I have a 2.1 Sub and Satellite made by Klipsch in my living room stereo setup which is more than powerful enough to get me evicted. :p The satellites are 4" midrange and horn tweeters. The sub is 8".

The sound that rig puts out is lab quality.

The presonus, on the other side of the room, stand up favorably in capability.

8" is definitely overkill.

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
And if you're one of those people with 8 x 12" woofers in the boot of your car, ignore everything I've previously said. :D

My nephew was into that noisemobile craze back in the 90's and now suffers about 60% hearing loss. :p

Reaction score
The moral of the story?

Spend $400 to $500 on anything called Nearfield Studio Monitors and you'll be happy.

I have a 2.1 Sub and Satellite made by Klipsch in my living room stereo setup which is more than powerful enough to get me evicted. :p The satellites are 4" midrange and horn tweeters. The sub is 8".

The sound that rig puts out is lab quality.

The presonus, on the other side of the room, stand up favorably in capability.

8" is definitely overkill.
I am leaning towards two Gen 2 - PreSonus Eris 5... I think that will be more than enough for my little room.

Ask a Question