Hello this is Vijay.

Reaction score
Greetings all:

I am a new member from Canada. I was mostly into IT before and listened to some music. I didn't know that folks had music as a hobby believe it or not. I wrongly thought it was all Professional players or none at all. Boy I was wrong !! I went to a local music store, saw the price of a keyboard and what it did. I thought it will be nice to try it and I was correct. Still learning very, very slowly. I am like a tiny baby in this music world, am a slow learner and will be this way for a long time. I will post rarely here(since I know very little) I think but will mostly lurk/read sometimes.

Very glad to be here.

Regards all,

Vijay :D

Reaction score
Welcome and feel free to ask whatever you need help with.

Just out of curiosity - which keyboard did you get?

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome. I got Yamaha PSR-E323

I need to purchase a Midi-USB interface for extra 40 bucks to connect this to my PC. But then there are also the E410 from Yamaha and the Casio WK-410 that connect via USB that are just a few more bucks. But there is a whole range and with more money one keeps getting more features. So for a starter mine is ok I feel but I feel two minded and feel like upgrading already or see if the store will help me upgrade by taking my KB. But then again, even fi they allow this upgrade, I will have to carry this KB back to the store, return it and then get the new one, I have trouble playing even very basic songs, I need to put it at tempo 16 and still fail. If I wish to listen to midi files, I can download them from the net and just listen.

So perhaps, I must just use my KB for 3 years or so and see if I will stick with it. By then better models may also become available.

Reaction score
Yea that is a major problem with keyboards... once you get one - you want more :D

Reaction score
One another main factor is that I wish to just be a small time player for now for my own personal relaxation. I am still barely used to my present KB. So while getting a better KB seems attractive, I might not use its features for a long time or may never get skilled enough to use them. So perhaps waiting for now is the best option.

Reaction score
My keyboard salesman was correct in reflection. He said if I wanted a good upgrade it is better to get a 1000 bucks pls keyboard. For every 50 to 100 bucks increase there is a KB that offers some extra features or the other. I can't keep asking them to exchange like this. No good for all.

I played my KB today again and I barely know it. Can't even play a single song. Music from it sounds excellent. I might get the midi USB interface for it. Other than that, I need to practice a lot on this. Specially since I am a slow learner, at this stage even if I get a better KB, I will not use most of its features. Sincerely, to me these expensive KBs look like the dashboard of a space shuttle. The buttons and features look nice but in reflection I will never use them for a few years atleast.

My only wish is that I had started earlier. But I was busy with other things in life before. Still better late than never.

Reaction score
I just discovered that my KB has sounds like stream, bubble, horse, train and sea shore etc., I also tried out several other instruments. There are like 483 voices, simply amazing !!

Reaction score
I went to store to get UM-1G midi USB interface cable. Salesman asked manager on his own if he can allow me to upgrade my KB, Manager said there will be 50 bucks restocking fee, this is reasonable and I refused the upgrade. I got some good tips from the salesperson. I got the midi-usb interface and just returned home sometime ago.

Ask a Question