Hello!

Reaction score
Just joined the forum, looking for help. And boy do I need help. Trained as a Classical pianist, in recent years I've become enamored with electronic "Space Music". I'm no newbie to synths but I've had an unimaginable amount of trouble with equipment this time around...

Reaction score
Welcome.
Do you want to elaborate....?

The Y-man

Yes. I'll try to keep it brief (and as positive as possible) All I have right now is a Roland Juno-G. This Roland is even LESS self-explanatory than the Korg Triton I used to have, even with the DVD tutorial. If anyone can help simplify the Juno G please reply. The G isn't my main problem though...

One reason I bought this synth (used from a friend) with a built-in audio recorder is cause I've had an unbelievable amount of trouble recording audio by any means. I had a laptop 7-8yrs ago that used Cool Edit (3.5?) and that was the last time I could record with any reliability. I've tried numerous software programs, 4 different computers, and a Zoom digital studio- nothing was reliable at all. Whatever I try either locks up, loses my data, fails to record with frightful regularity, or has an impossibly byzantine user-interface that I can't deal with. (and the Zoom was slower than molasses when it worked)

The latest issue of Keyboard sums it up best in their article "Why Software Crashes": "So, what can we do? Should we hide in the closet with a candle and a four-track tape recorder and swear off digital technology forever?" Well, I tried that for real- but even my trusty Tascam 4-track tape recorder proved hopelessly unreliable. I'd set it up to record, do a quick test just to make sure, then without changing the settings I'd record for real- but half the time no audio had recorded to the tape(!) As I said, this started happening a whopping 50% of the time. I can deal with something going wrong once in a while, but not consistently, and the same unit used to be 100% reliable for me.

I'm looking for a simple, reliable way to record, and to adjust the levels of different tracks. Ideally something that could record 4 tracks simultaneously (ie 2 synths at the same time in stereo) I'd like to be able to cut, paste, copy and edit so I can use the recorder as a compositional tool, but I'll settle for a few simple tracks that actually record when I press the button.

I'm not stupid, and I can read the manuals. Two electrician friends have found possible power problems at my place- for instance several of my 3-pronged outlets aren't really grounded. This explained why the Zoom kept crashing, it worked fine at somene else's house (it's still unbearably slow) But my pro keyboards have never had these problems, and they've been plugged into the same outlets. Chances are I'll need a recorder that runs off batteries.

I accept that many other people enjoy fighting with their equipment- maybe it gives them a sense of accomplishment. This is utterly alien to me- I do NOT enjoy wrestling with some machine to get it to do a basic utility function like "record". What I need most along with reliability is an intuitive user interface that's simple and self explanatory.

The Y_man

Reaction score
I must say I used my Yamaha 4-track cassette recorder for my last multi-track recording.
I use Kristal on my laptop for 2 track mastering, but still not sure I have gotten over the latency issue (got a faster laptop, but still noticeable)

The Y-man

Reaction score
Hola from Mexico. My name is Steve. I retired two years ago to Mexico and have found great music here. I don't know if this is where I should be or not. I am a piano player who several years ago purchased a very nice Roland A90 and have used it just as a keyboard at gigs. I am playing harpsichord in a Baroque amateur group and need a harpsichord sound. I am totally clueless on how to make this work and what equipment I need to purchase so that I can play with the group using this keyboard. It has some great sounds but unfortunately no harpsichord.

In Mexico so ther are not many resources here. ANY advise would be appreciated.

Steve

Reaction score
Hola from Mexico. My name is Steve. I retired two years ago to Mexico and have found great music here. I don't know if this is where I should be or not. I am a piano player who several years ago purchased a very nice Roland A90 and have used it just as a keyboard at gigs. I am playing harpsichord in a Baroque amateur group and need a harpsichord sound. I am totally clueless on how to make this work and what equipment I need to purchase so that I can play with the group using this keyboard. It has some great sounds but unfortunately no harpsichord.

In Mexico so ther are not many resources here. ANY advise would be appreciated.

Steve

Always wanted to play in a Baroque ensemble. Never really learned to play improvised "continuo" the right way, I'm stuck on the printed page.

Most digital pianos have a harpsichord sound. My cheapo bare-bones Casio Privia has one. I googled the A90 and it says it's a controller- are you controlling a sound module with it?

Are you sure it doesn't have a harpsichord sound? The Roland site says it has 128 sounds- Harpsichord's usually somewhere in the basic 128 midi sounds.

Reaction score
I must say I used my Yamaha 4-track cassette recorder for my last multi-track recording.
I use Kristal on my laptop for 2 track mastering, but still not sure I have gotten over the latency issue (got a faster laptop, but still noticeable)

The Y-man

Does Yamaha still make 4 track cassette recorders? I think Tascam stopped making them a couple years ago. The main drawback to tape decks (when they work) is you don't get much time before the tape runs out. You can't record a whole 20-70 minute jam on 15 minutes worth of tape. But then, the digital equipment I've tried can't handle a 20-plus minute track very well either.

What is the latency issue with Kristal? The notes don't line up when you overdub? (I heard Audacity has a similar problem)

The Y_man

Reaction score
Does Yamaha still make 4 track cassette recorders? I think Tascam stopped making them a couple years ago. The main drawback to tape decks (when they work) is you don't get much time before the tape runs out. You can't record a whole 20-70 minute jam on 15 minutes worth of tape. But then, the digital equipment I've tried can't handle a 20-plus minute track very well either.

What is the latency issue with Kristal? The notes don't line up when you overdub? (I heard Audacity has a similar problem)

My Yamaha is ancient - I doubt anyone makes them anymore....:oops:

The latency is more a driver/processor/HDD issue - so yes, when you overdub, what you are listening to is slightly delayed (bit like the old 3 head cassette decks) - I suspect using an SSD would markedly improve this.

The Y-man

Ask a Question