Help on sound module

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Your first lesson is Yankee Doodle Dandy, then after 12 years you work your way up to playing the Brandenburg Concertos and THEN and ONLY THEN do you land a job at the carnival playing Yankee Doodle Dandy :D :D :D

Gary ;)

Reaction score
:cool:
Your first lesson is Yankee Doodle Dandy, then after 12 years you work your way up to playing the Brandenburg Concertos and THEN and ONLY THEN do you land a job at the carnival playing Yankee Doodle Dandy :D :D :D

Gary ;)
Hey, Yankee Doodle is important around here, Uncle Sam was born and is buried just across the river from me.:cool: And anyway, working on VanHalen "Jump".

Reaction score
Budget for a module? On the higher end, Yamaha Motif Rack XS (current), Dexibell Vivo SX7 (current), and Roland Integra 7. Korg M3 module, Roland Fantom XR (2004), Roland XV5080, Korg Triton rack. Older Roland XVs and JVs. Motif Rack ES. Older Kurzweil racks?

Reaction score
Budget for a module? On the higher end, Yamaha Motif Rack XS (current), Dexibell Vivo SX7 (current), and Roland Integra 7. Korg M3 module, Roland Fantom XR (2004), Roland XV5080, Korg Triton rack. Older Roland XVs and JVs. Motif Rack ES. Older Kurzweil racks?
Looking at the Roland D-05. Tossing back and forth between iPad, pc or sound mod.

Reaction score
No problem, I didn't know until a few years ago myself.

Most likely yes, if you plan on playing much more than lead synth lines or more than four notes at one time. The maximum polyphony is 16. Polyphony = number of notes that can be played at one time. Since you said that you want "common voices", I assume that you mean piano, strings, synth brass, organs, electric pianos, pads, etc. You probably don't want to go any lower than 32 for polyphony. Your Juno DS has 128 notes according to Roland. Lets use a keyboard with a maximum 32 notes of polyphony as an example: If your piano sound has two parts and is stereo, you're potentially down to only 8 notes, without adding strings or anything else. http://faq.yamaha.com/us/en/article...ds/synthesizers/motif_xf/motif_xf8/5002/7255/

Reaction score
Well, received the q49 yesterday, opened it up and it hooked right up to my iPad. Outstanding. Now if only one key wasn't down, no spring up. So, it's on its way back to MF for an exchange, or if I decided before it gets back, a different KB controller. I think Ill just let them ship another q49, I am not looking for much, just to learn a bit about midi and connectabilty. I think at that price, the q49 will do the job.

Reaction score
Just so you are aware, many of the sounds on the D-05 have only 4-notes of polyphony, due to the 4-parts in a sound structure.
I kept looking at specs, and granted I may not really know what I'm looking at but, it looks like the d-05 has 16 notes of polyphony..?
Maybe back in them olden days of the d50, that's was what it took.:)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
What Mighty Motif Max means is that it has 16 notes of polyphony, but that's for voices that have 1 element. For a voice that has 2 elements you can get 8 notes of polyphony (16 / 2 = 8). And for a voice that has 4 elements you can get 4 notes of polyphony (16 / 4 = 4). That's because each element uses one of the tone generators.

Reaction score
What Mighty Motif Max means is that it has 16 notes of polyphony, but that's for voices that have 1 element. For a voice that has 2 elements you can get 8 notes of polyphony (16 / 2 = 8). And for a voice that has 4 elements you can get 4 notes of polyphony (16 / 4 = 4). That's because each element uses one of the tone generators.
I see, kinda. So if you have 128 polyphony you can have several voices with higher elements. I assume (i don't like to use that word but needed it here) that combining the elements is what makes the voice sound like it does. Like adding chocolate chips to the batter to make CC cookies. So like a standard piano may only have 1 element where a synth sound may consist of many? Does even simple sounds have just 1 element?

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I think it might be the other way around-- the piano sound would be more likely to have multiple elements than some synth sounds-- but it also depends on the complexity of the synth sound.

In any case, the higher the maximum possible polyphony, the more simultaneous notes you can have, and the more complex the sound of each note can be as far as how many elements it uses.

Polyphony is also important for when you play sustained notes, since they continue to sound after you've released the keys. As long as a note is sounding-- whether or not you're still holding the key down-- the note is using one or more tone generators depending on the number of elements used by that note's voice.

Ask a Question