Need Help finding Sounds on the Yamaha MODX

Reaction score
Hi all! new to the forum and I need some help. I currently play a Nord Electro and a Roland synth. I am getting rid of the Roland and just bought the new Yamaha MODX8. I have to very quickly find the sounds I currently use with my band on the new Yamaha, so I am looking for folks who have had this challenge. I need a patch for Turn Me Loose(Lover Boy), 1999 (Prince), Rocky Mountain Way(Joe Walsh the middle part as our guitarist uses the talk box). I am sure they are all on the Yamaha or a close facsimile? I have found most of our songs that are simpler. But these are more of a challenge. Thanks

Reaction score
Thanks happy! Unfortunately that is a "motif" site and I think they demand you speak it with a french lisp.... "Mohteeeephph" brahahaha! After signing up this morning I was quickly chastised and schooled in the fact that "Motif" players are absolutely appalled by any amateur keyboardist who would stoop to playing a MODX(or anything else for that matter! And they do not associate with such filth....LOL! I had to pull the Nord card just to defend my players status! Apparently there is a social status I was unaware of in the Yamaha universe?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that.

Personally I boycott all Yamaha keyboards simply because their tech support and design philosophy also demonstrate a "my way or the highway" philosophy.

If those people don't think the MODX qualifies as a Motif then I really have no idea where you could turn to to find support.

Perhaps there's a facebook group out there that supports it or maybe a mailing list.

Once again, sorry to hear that i steered you wrong :(

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that.

Personally I boycott all Yamaha keyboards simply because their tech support and design philosophy also demonstrate a "my way or the highway" philosophy.

If those people don't think the MODX qualifies as a Motif then I really have no idea where you could turn to to find support.

Perhaps there's a facebook group out there that supports it or maybe a mailing list.

Once again, sorry to hear that i steered you wrong :(

Gary ;)

Don't worry about it Gary and thanks for the info. I just found it hysterical and akin to the stat vs tele wars in the fender world! Somewhere in history a MODX player must have shamed a motif players family member by using an augmented chord and the Hatfield and McCoy feud began? LOL!

Reaction score
The reason the Motifator site doesn't support Montage/MODX is explained at http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/480696/

But there are good resources for MODX, at:
https://yamahasynth.com/forum/modx-1 (Yamaha's official support site)
and
https://yamahamusicians.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=186

I get that, but their tech support is still about the best there is. You may not like that their answers are wrapped up in their own way of doing things, but at least you get answers.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I don't find answers like "Use a different Operating System" to be at all helpful.

Yamaha has a long history of sucking people into a vortex of "Yamaha Only" products and accessories and totally denies the existence of open source both in their products and their support.

Frankly a company that's not even willing to consider workarounds or opening up to 5% of the world market doesn't deserve a plugged nickel from me :p

To be honest, there's a whole world of Musical Instrument Manufacturers for whom "Class Compliant" is not a problem.

I much prefer to give all of them my business.

Gary ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I don't find answers like "Use a different Operating System" to be at all helpful.

Yamaha has a long history of sucking people into a vortex of "Yamaha Only" products and accessories and totally denies the existence of open source both in their products and their support.

Frankly a company that's not even willing to consider workarounds or opening up to 5% of the world market doesn't deserve a plugged nickel from me,
And do you find this substantially different when talking about all the other companies in your sig (Kurz, Roland, Studiologic, Behringer, Novation, Waldorf, etc.)? Okay, Yamaha only supports Yamaha pedals, but anything else? (And even that is probably a byproduct of the fact that Yamaha is one of the few companies who even makes their own pedals.)

there's a whole world of Musical Instrument Manufacturers for whom "Class Compliant" is not a problem.
Yamaha was late to the party with that, but I don't think it's an issue anymore.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Korg and Roland products don't give me any trouble. They are well designed and thought out products that simply perform correctly according to their documentation and have excellent support in youtube and on the web.

As for Kurzweil and the other smaller companies you mentioned? You would be blown away at how Kurzweil bends over backwards to keep their customers happy. They will even advise you on opening up the gear to facilitate user repairs and upgrades and even modifications to the original hardware EVEN AFTER THE WARRANTY HAS EXPIRED!!!!

As far as the rudeness and unhelpfulness of Yamaha's representatives? I am not the only one who has had these experiences. If you go back on some of the threads on this board you will find others who have been stonewalled by their mindless, script reading robots.

Personally I'm wondering myself if Yamaha signs your own paychecks for trying to do a little damage control on their lousy reputation on the web.

Frankly you're entitled to your own opinion, but I believe a well informed consumer is a happy consumer and I will continue to speak out against Yamaha whenever the subject comes up.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, other Proprietary Yamaha products they try and rope you into:

Pedals.

Bluetooth Dongles.

Cubase.

Once you're sucked into their ecosystem it's tougher than quicksand to extract yourself.

Not to mention they make everything from Chainsaws to Snowmobiles.

Face it. They're a conglomerate and they are not your only option in musical hardware if you look closely at the specs.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
And as a final note I'd like to apologize to the original poster for derailing his thread with this pointless argument.

Yamaha users are like Scientologists. Everyone's wrong and only they know the truth :p :D :D :D

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Korg and Roland products don't give me any trouble. They are well designed and thought out products that simply perform correctly according to their documentation and have excellent support in youtube and on the web.
But do they support Linux or other open source solutions in their products or support? If not, you answered a question I didn't ask, and instead moved the goal posts. (Not that I personally care about linux or open source, but I could see where someone might... I'm just saying that if lack of that support is turning you off to Yamaha, I don't see a lot of it from other keyboard mfrs either, and you haven't shown me otherwise.)

But since you mention it, as far as I've seen, Korg and Roland offer no web support comparable to what yamaha offers at yamahasynth.com. You've got rolandclan and korgforums but little to no official representation there. Yamaha also has their ideascale for submitting product/feature requests.

Personally I'm wondering myself if Yamaha signs your own paychecks for trying to do a little damage control on their lousy reputation on the web.
Nonsense, but thanks, since ad hominem attacks are among the best indicators of someone having a hard time making their case. ;-)

BTW, other Proprietary Yamaha products they try and rope you into:

Pedals.

Bluetooth Dongles.

Cubase.
I gave you pedals up front. But basically, companies that make their own pedals tend to want you to use their pedals. Put differently, if Yamaha and Roland expression and half-damper pedals are not interchangeable, why is that only Yamaha's fault?

I don't know about anything Yamaha-specific in terms of bluetooth dongles, but I'm not that familiar with them... are you saying Yamaha boards work with their own bluetooth adapters but not others? As for DAWS, while it makes sense for Yamaha to emphasize Cubase which they own, the DAW support on the Montage equally supports Ableton, Logic, and Pro Tools.

Once you're sucked into their ecosystem it's tougher than quicksand to extract yourself.
Sounds like someone who prefers an android tablet to an iPad. ;-) Apple has a much tighter ecosystem than Yamaha... but still, for music, iOS beats Android, and I just like to use the best tool for the job.

Yamaha users are like Scientologists. Everyone's wrong and only they know the truth.
I'm an equal opportunity keyboard player. Over the years, I've bought more keyboards from Korg than from anyone else. But I've also bought numerous Yamahas, Rolands, Casios, Nords, Kurzweils... and every single one of these companies has boards that I think are great, and are the best choices in some circumstances, and I have good things to say about all of them (and complaints about all of them as well). I'm very happy with my new MODX7... but I can also list out for you a lot of things that I think other boards do better. If a board doesn't do what you want, then don't buy it. But I choose a board based on its sounds and functions, not marketing philosophies.

Not to mention they make everything from Chainsaws to Snowmobiles.
And Kurzweil is owned by Hyundai. And Casio makes cash registers. Who cares?

they are not your only option in musical hardware if you look closely at the specs.
No mfr is your only option, but it's not about specs per se, it's about sound, functions, the feel of the keys, the travel weight, operational ergonomics... and sometimes a Yamaha can be someone's best choice, and sometimes it will be something else,

Last edited:

Ask a Question