sound help

Reaction score
I'm looking for a talented keyboardist that can help me create this sound on a synthesizer. Please excuse the crappines of the You Rock Guitar via Midi to Roland GR-20, this sound is called "Digital Rock Guitar" on a Roland GR-20 and here is some sound examples. If their is anyone on here that can walk me to how to make this unique sound I will be forever grateful. The reason I want this sound made is because I want to have my own unique lead synth sound for solos and alot of keyboardists in metal have their own unique lead sound.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Sounds to me like a sawtooth wave modulated by a pulse wave LFO with minimal effects and very little filtering. Envelope attack is short and sustain and release also very short.

At least that's how I'd do it on an analog synth.

What make and model synth do you plan to recreate this on?

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Sounds to me like a sawtooth wave modulated by a pulse wave LFO with minimal effects and very little filtering. Envelope attack is short and sustain and release also very short.

At least that's how I'd do it on an analog synth.

What make and model synth do you plan to recreate this on?

Gary ;)

well to be honest I am saving for a Korg KingKorg I'm not much of a Workstation kind of guy I'm more into Synthesizers. I appreciate the reply.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
A King Korg is a Virtual Analog synth.

Actually much better suited to this kind of sound than a ROMpler workstation anyway.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
A King Korg is a Virtual Analog synth.

Actually much better suited to this kind of sound than a ROMpler workstation anyway.

Gary ;)

the best part about the Korg KingKorg is that it has more Oscillators than the Korg MicroKorg. I would know because I use to own the Korg MicroKorg and only oscillators it has was Square, Saw, Sine and Triangle, although it has DWGS waves but it didn't have PWM.
So I figured I would step it up a notch to save for the Korg KingKorg and it has more Oscillators.

Reaction score
plus the KingKorg has great distortion. The MicroKorg lacked of distortion and I had to use a distortion pedal to make it sound guitar-like but was not satisfied with the results.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
As I mentioned to you in msg, CowboyNQ plays a King Korg professionally on stage.

He's the man to contact if you have any specific questions about sound design on that beast.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thanks for the note. I'm not clever enough to pick that by ear but I'll fiddle around with my keyboards in my spare time over the next few days and see what I can work out for you. In the mean time someone smarter than me may weigh in with their own opinion.

The Roland guitar synth doesn't give you any clues as to how this sound is made does it?

Reaction score
Thanks for the note. I'm not clever enough to pick that by ear but I'll fiddle around with my keyboards in my spare time over the next few days and see what I can work out for you. In the mean time someone smarter than me may weigh in with their own opinion.

The Roland guitar synth doesn't give you any clues as to how this sound is made does it?

I'm afraid it does not, what you hear is from a guitar-synthesizer pedal. Basically it has common settings with different patches. What they have are Pianos, Organ/Keyboard, Bass/Guitar, Strings, Lead Synths etc. The reason i like this sound is because it is unlike any other sound and has great potential for a lead synth sound. You know how metal keyboardist like Derek Sherinian, Jordan Rudess and Janne Wirman have their unique lead sound? Well I actually want to choose "Digital Rock Guitar" to be my lead sound. The problem is it is underrated and no one so far has used this sound. Even if i have this sound controlled via a You Rock Guitar on my digital whammy bar the pitch shifting effect is strange in a terrible way.

Reaction score
Derek Sheridan's lead sound is amazing, IMO. It's actually extremely simple compared to Jordan's (which I don't like anywhere near as much), but effective. The trick is finding a wah or controllable filter that has the right frequency range. It used a very unique wah off the Korg Trinity that has a totally different frequency sweep and resonance point to a Crybaby or any common wah. Honestly, the only way I've successfully reproduced it is with Korg's own effects (included in Korg Legacy Collection), otherwise it's basically just a sawtooth. Jordan's, on the other hand, is like 7 layers or ROMPLER samples through some fairly specific Kurzweil filters that I can't get close to even on my large bank of software synths. Though maybe I'd try a little harder if I liked it as much.

Sorry for the off topic.

But to echo the original poster, it does sound like a saw modulated by a pulse LFO very quickly. It sounds like a fairly mathematically simple sound, so it should be fairly easy to reproduce with maybe one or two oscillators. It's definitely using 2 detuned oscillators to produce the tone, though, as you can hear the phasing. Very Prophet V.

Reaction score
Derek Sheridan's lead sound is amazing, IMO. It's actually extremely simple compared to Jordan's (which I don't like anywhere near as much), but effective. The trick is finding a wah or controllable filter that has the right frequency range. It used a very unique wah off the Korg Trinity that has a totally different frequency sweep and resonance point to a Crybaby or any common wah. Honestly, the only way I've successfully reproduced it is with Korg's own effects (included in Korg Legacy Collection), otherwise it's basically just a sawtooth. Jordan's, on the other hand, is like 7 layers or ROMPLER samples through some fairly specific Kurzweil filters that I can't get close to even on my large bank of software synths. Though maybe I'd try a little harder if I liked it as much.

Sorry for the off topic.

But to echo the original poster, it does sound like a saw modulated by a pulse LFO very quickly. It sounds like a fairly mathematically simple sound, so it should be fairly easy to reproduce with maybe one or two oscillators. It's definitely using 2 detuned oscillators to produce the tone, though, as you can hear the phasing. Very Prophet V.

no it's okay I don't mind off topic. I agree Derek Sherinian's Monster Lead is awesome. Thanks for your reply on how to sculpt this sound

Ask a Question