Help with PSR s500

Reaction score
Hello. I dont know if this is the right section to post in, so Im sorry if its not.

So about the problem:

My Yamaha PSR S500 display stopped working (not completely but a half of it) due to wiring problem (I guess thats it, cause nothing else could be, and touching or moving the little cable fixed the problem but only for a very little time, as you moved the keyboard the connection of the wires were lost). And as far as I know, repairing that at home is quite impossible, and buying a new display for me seems too pricy.
So what I wanted to ask is, is there any software that when I connect the keyboard with a PC, it would show the keyboards screen on the PCs screen? Like an external display I would say.

I would really appreciate that or any other way that would fix the display.

Reaction score
I don`t think we could connect an external display to the PSR S-500 , right out of the box. Video out is available on the higher end models such as PSR S900 / PSR S910/ Tyros range.
You could try one or more of the following and see if it helps:

1) Also, there would be a setting for the LCD contrast control. Try changing it and see if it helps.

2) Try a software reset of the keyboard. Its explained in : http://www.deeplysimple.net/2010/06/reset-your-yamaha-keyboard.html

3) Also try connecting the keyboard to another power socket/ or use another adaptor if its available. It could even be a power issue.

Regards,
Jez

Reaction score
Thank you for your answer.

Well, I didnt mean it via video out. Wouldnt it be possible to do it via USB cable or whatever? You can connect the keyboard to a PC, there could be software for the PC that gets the keyboards display signal and show it on the Pc.

About the contrast- I've already tried that, it doesnt help.

And I dont think that resetting or changing the power socket and that will solve the problem either, because its a wiring problem ( I made sure that it is)

Reaction score
Hello, Dustylv,

The problem that you are having is a common one. I have had that, too, when I had a Psr-s500. (This display is used in more units that just the Psr-s500, DGX and YPG models, too.)

Unfortunatly, it is a design flaw. Yamaha does not appear to want to fix it. Resetting the system, and contrast will not help (as you have seen). But I can help you with this, IF you are willing to go into your own keyboard (or get help from someone who will).

After removing the bottom and exposing the display board, you will see some connections that go to the display board. Some are soldered on, some go to a slide-in socket. These are NOT the problem.

The problem lies in the connections that LOOK like they are just laying on the board. I have tried to fix this by heating it up (to re establish the connections), but it did not work too well. The method that worked the best, is simply finding a way to apply pressure to the connections (ie holding the connections against the board) You will have to use your abbilities to figure this out, as there is no standard "fix" for this.

The other option is to replace the display ($189.00 at the beginning of 2012) You posted you request in July of 2011, if you have taken care of this, fine. But if not, here is an answer, hope this helps.

........................................Pat

Reaction score
Good evening !

Because I also have problems with the display from Yamaha PSR-S500 ...

Please here, can someone help me with the file PSR-S500.BUP obtained by copying using the Musicsoft Downloader program ???

Because the display on my organ never worked properly, I could not combine or save custom sounds in Registration Memory ...

Maybe someone wants to help me with a similar file, which contains custom sounds in Registry Memory.
Maybe I'm asking too much, but I said try.

I wish you all the best for every member of this forum !!!

Attachments

• PSR-S500.BUP.jpg
    PSR-S500.BUP.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 45

Ask a Question