Hi, I know nothing.... <grin>

Reaction score
Hello all,
I just joined after I dusted off an old keyboard I've been meaning to get to for a while. I've ordered a couple of how to books and suspect that I may hire a teacher for the basics, nothing like getting a good foundation, in addition to perusing all the good info you have here.

I played the silver flute decades ago and the last couple of years starting messing around with NA flutes and ocarinas. My main goal is just to learn how to play for my own enjoyment.

Reaction score
Hi Betty, so you know nothing.
Well you are in very good company, I know nothing as well.

I am sure the other folks here will also chip in that they also know (1) nothing (2) they are the fountain of all knowledge (3) they think they know a lot but really know nothing (4) they have already forgotten what the question was.

Do be advised we do go off topic at the drop of a hat.

We are an eclectic mix of keen amateurs to full blown Pros, but there are no egos here.

Enjoy the banter and ask away.

Do seek out Gary’s (Happyrat) great thread on tutorial links.

Reaction score
Thanks, LOL
Yes, I have found a wealth of information on tutorials on the site already, it's great!

Reaction score
Welcome bye the way.

Perhaps you could enlighten us on which keyboard you have, its name and model number will probably be somewhere under the dust ;)

Same with which are the books you have.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Hi Betty,
I would like to say welcome.

Biggles summed us up. We all are at various levels which makes for diversity. It's a very good mix and we are a variety of ages too.

I'm roughly about 14 or 15 years old (if I was a dog) lol woof:D. When I was Puppy I knew nothing. But now I know nothing less and still learning.

This old dog says . . "Glad to you made it here and best of luck and enjoy your playing"

Ray . . "Woof"

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
One more thing Betty . .

I love the flute.

This is one of the most beautiful tunes EVER and underrated and unknown.
I present to you . . ELEGY.

Also for Biggles at the 1:45 mark, some awesome guitar playing by Martin Barre. . Enjoy.

Ray

Reaction score
Thanks! I think I'm prob right there with you in dog years. LOL At least it feels that way some days. I have no doubt I will enjoy it, I love my Native American Flutes...........

Hi Biggles, the model is Casio wk1300, I'm thinking its about 15 years old? But it seems to all work, if I get half as obsessed as I normally do I will upgrade down the road.

I ordered Belwin Complete Adult Keyboard Course: A Practical, Enjoyable Approach to Learning to Play All Keyboard Instruments and How To Play Keyboard: A Complete Guide for Absolute Beginners, which will be delivered tomorrow. I've downloaded a few PDFs. If anyone has any suggestions on good starter books I would love to hear them. My preference is for ones that will give a solid foundation, I'm not looking for shortcuts, or learn how to play while you are sleeping type of things.

I work from home and live in the country in North Florida, so getting to the local music store is kind of a weekend thing. When you are 15 miles in any direction to the closest town you use Amazon a lot....

Reaction score
I don't think I ever heard that one Ray and Jethro Tull has been one of my hero's for well, a very very long time! Thanks!

Reaction score
Think Flute

Think Jethro Tull

I had forgotten just how good Elergy was and still is, would love to learn it.

Awesome musicianship all round.

Funny enough they started about 15 miles from where I live in the seaside town that is Blackpool where I just happen to be going on Friday and with time to spare there just happens to be a music store about 5 minutes from where I have to take my Wife

Ian Anderson was on UK TV a few weeks, you know one of the Promo Talk Shows. I have just seen that he is in Concert himself just before Christmas in Chester Cathedral which is awesome, must see if there are any tickets left since Chester is only an hour away.

Many thanks Ray for the link where the music of JT fitted perfectly to scenes from the absolute best ever SciFi series Babylon 5 and sorry Betty but I did warn you we soon go off topic.

Reaction score
Hello! I, too, was new and wanted to be useful. I am glad to be on the forum and learn new things.

Reaction score
Ian wrote a song about blackpool . .
I think you will relate to the lyrics Col.
Enjoy this mate.
Ray

Blackpool is now the home of hen and stag weekends.

Wall to wall totally rat assed youth, heck even the largest Nightclub has just filed for bankruptcy

The lyrics were certainly true of the sixties when the town was vibrant, full of life and people enjoying themselves without the aggression that exists today.

Oh for a return to those days when the Stones, the Who, the Animals, Tom Jones performed on the Pier, last weekend it was Britney Spears performing on the Beach, oh how the mighty have fallen :(

Reaction score
Want to thank everyone for their warm welcome! I went to our local music store this weekend and was really pleasantly surprised and their keyboard selection, they have a couple of nice used ones.............LOL......... not ready to upgrade yet but holy moly they had everything. I was expecting more school band type instruments, it is a really small town. I did pick up a couple more tutorial books including one I really like, it is for piano but is heavier on the theory which is what I wanted in addition to the ones that emphasize the funner or easier electronics. If I'm not getting something in one book, another book explains it better and I can switch back and forth on things. Had a lot of fun this weekend with it, I think an addiction has been born.

Reaction score
When I switched from guitar to keyboard I had some lessons and the tutor first asked....... do I want to play Piano or Keyboards as there is a difference.

Since I joined this forum there have been many who have started out wanting to learn to play keys so I put this together, it is a bit of a mixture but you may find it helpfull

Do you want to play a Piano or Keyboard?

That is the question my Teacher asked when I took up playing keys after years with a guitar and bass.

He qualified it by stating, there is a difference in how I teach you and in how you will develop.

Piano.

At its most basic level LH plays the Bass lines and chords, RH plays the melody.

Independent LH & RH playing actions will need to be developed.

A Digital Piano is just that 88 weighted keys with a variety of Piano sounds to call upon to be used, other sounds can also be incorporated within the unit.

Keyboard.

Two basic types, Workstation and Arranger.

Both start with 61 keys and as the models increase in complexity and cost 76 key and 88 keys versions become available as budget increases.

Each type of unit has hundreds if not thousands if instrument sounds that can be used as an example there can easily be over thirty different types of Piano sounds available to be selected.

Workstation.

Highly customisable, often with inbuilt recording, looping, and the ability to set sequence patterns of sounds that can be called upon at the touch of a button.

Usually over one thousand instrument sounds available to be used.

Orchestral sounds can be built up by layering one instrument on top of another to produce a Combination that can be saved into a User area and assigned to a Favourite button.

Watch a Band and the person on keys will probably be playing a Workstation, if they have more than one unit then a digital Piano is likely to be there unless your name is Rick Wakeman then the number of keyboards he uses is often in excess of ten.

Arranger.

A keyboard that typically incorporates onboard amplification and speakers for a fully self contained unit.

Instrument sounds or voices are categorised into families with typically thirty specific instrument sounds available.

These keyboards include Auto Accompanying of styles that are or can be triggered by the left hand.

The keyboard is electronically split (adjustable and can be switched off) so the Accompanying sounds are played with the LH and RH plays, melody lines, arpeggiated chords, improvisation, melody accompanying lines, syncopations etc.

A beginner to keyboards will probably start off learning on a low value Yamaha or Casio unit and then progress to more complex keyboard.

Synthesizer.

Is an electronic sound generator, it can be a keyboard or non keyboard model.

With all the above keyboard types, there is a considerable degrees of overlap and incorporation of functions within each category.

The choice of which type will be best for you is dependent upon what you want to play, the style and long term plans.

If you have doubts or just want to dip ones toes in then an Arranger will probably be the best unit to go for. With the auto accompaniment feature it will enable you to produce music relatively quickly.

Technicals

Polophony, this is the number of different instrument sounds that a keyboard can play at the same time.

Styles, there are hundreds of presets arrangements including in an Arranger keyboard, each Style will have a specific number of musical instrument sounds included and when the Style is initiated it will provide sounds and rhythm related to a music genre like dance, r n b, waltz, rock, ballad etc

Songs, some keyboards have a specific style, rhythm and instrument sounds that are intended to produce a sound similar to a popular song such as Ed Sheeran’s Thinking out loud, John Lennon’s Imagine, Elvis Presley The Wonder of You, Glenn Miller Moonlight Serenade etc songs that span many decades of music to cater for all ages.

Sustain pedal, a foot operated on/off switch that if it is pressed and held as a key or keys are pressed the note(s) continue to sound until the pedal is released.

Recording

Most keyboards have the ability to record your performance, the degree of flexibility and editing capabilities does vary substantially. That said a substantial number can be connected to a PC/MAC where audio recording software can record your performance but taking recording to another level is software known as a DAW where you can create a multi layered track, each with full individual recording and editing capabilities, many good DAWs are freeware.

Virtual Instruments

A MIDI keyboard controller, DAW software and a whole series of software instrument sounds can give a very capable Recording Studio in its own right. This setup can also provide a very economical entry into keyboard playing for the computer literate.

General advice

Keyboard manufacturers have online manuals available to download for current and older keyboards therefore it can be useful to read said manual to help gain an understanding of a specific keyboards features.

Keyboard manufacturers also have Video Tutorials online which can give a good grounding on the features and on using a specific keyboard.

Online reviews vary from excellent to dire so do take them with a pinch of salt, if any start with, wassup, then move on to another video.

Be flexible in your choices as what you think will be the best keyboard for you does not necessarily relate that it is the one for you.

Do not get hung up on a particular manufacturers products.

Yamaha produce some excellent keyboards but they produce very cheap ones to get learners locked into the brand, but their tutorials and customer support are almost non existent. Their higher end learner keyboards and their top of the range Arranger are the standards others have to match or better.

Within a specific price band the capabilities of different manufacturers products are very similar.

Keyboards to consider

Beginner/improver keyboard

Yamaha PSR E series

Roland Gokeys/Gopiano

Arranger

Korg PA700/1000

Roland EA7

Korg PA4X

Yamaha Genos

Workstation/Synth

Korg Kross 2

Roland Juno DS61