Hmm, Still worth buying a Yamaha Montage?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Well, 4 stereo keyboards, miscellaneous drum machines, mic and guitars and you run out of channels quickly.

Reaction score
As far as the EQ goes, when's the last time you had a hearing exam?

It's such a case by case thing. I agree Gary that I might reach my limit regarding how many channels I am using... probably not for a while. My reason at the moment for wanting a mixer was more for the onboard gains and EQ'ing. My thinking is if you are going to buy quality gear it makes sense to make sure you get your monitoring sounding as good as you can.

Reaction score
I am not going to use any Mics or guitars but 4 boards like you say, a drum machine, and effect pedals... that would max me out on the KL8

Reaction score
One thing I am not understanding is mixer inputs. Why is it that on the KL8 I have two inputs for each keyboard ( left/right) but on other mixers it looks like there is one input per channel?

Reaction score
Mics and guitars are mono instruments. Usually you can get by with mono drums as wel
On the Ui24R each channel has one input... where would you attach your boards?
1687725148678.png

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You can assign each channel to left or right and pan and eq and fx on each channel.

In effect you have 12 stereo channels.

Reaction score
I suppose my only other question is would it be possible to keep all my boards running through the KL8 and maybe even the monitors and buy a smaller mixer to daisy chain onto the KL8? Would I be able to use all the effect and EQ on the second mixer for the keyboards and monitors running from the KL8?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
KL8 == 4 stereo channels minus 1 stereo channel to patch mixer2 thru... == 3 usable stereo inputs.

OR you lose the individual EQ control on the KL8 and patch it's 2 outs to mixer2.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
On my Mackie ProFX12usb v3 I have 4 stereo channels plugged in for my keyboards, + 3 mono Drum machines + 1 channel for Mic OR Guitar.

It suits my needs and ambitions and sounds just fine to my ears.

Audio output to computer is USB, and analog audio out split between Presonus monitors and 24 track Tascam recorder.

Offers maximum flexibility for recording direct to WAV and easy reach access for practice sessions.

I've recently been collaborating with a guitarist in my building who also plans to sing. Add a bass, disconnect one superfluous drum box. Add another mic or drummer, disconnect another drum machine.

Unless I wanted to record a quintet I'd be screwed but a trio or a quartet I can squeeze in in a pinch.

Seriously man, if you're hearing high pitched transients then you need to book an ear exam.

Reaction score
On my Mackie ProFX12usb v3 I have 4 stereo channels plugged in for my keyboards, + 3 mono Drum machines + 1 channel for Mic OR Guitar.

It suits my needs and ambitions and sounds just fine to my ears.

Audio output to computer is USB, and analog audio out split between Presonus monitors and 24 track Tascam recorder.

Offers maximum flexibility for recording direct to WAV and easy reach access for practice sessions.

I've recently been collaborating with a guitarist in my building who also plans to sing. Add a bass, disconnect one superfluous drum box. Add another mic or drummer, disconnect another drum machine.

Unless I wanted to record a quintet I'd be screwed but a trio or a quartet I can squeeze in in a pinch.

Seriously man, if you're hearing high pitched transients then you need to book an ear exam.
All points are taken, Gary. Appreciate your help and patience!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Until you're as good as Hans Zimmer

You'll make mistakes, we all make mistakes.

Just bite the bullet and do what your budget allows you.

What's the top limit on this project? $20, $30 thou?

Maybe you should hire a consultant to spend your money for you.

I've posted my studio schematics dozens of times.

It's evolved.

Equipment ages and becomes defunct.

Unless you are counting on being embalmed with it, you'll eventually get bored and add another box, leaving the last latest and greatest gathering dust in the storeroom. :p

Happy pride day y'all!

Gary ;)

Ask a Question