Hmm, Still worth buying a Yamaha Montage?

Reaction score
In order to give myself a wide range of options I am wondering if I should have bought the Yamaha Montage instead of the YC88. I stayed away from the Montage as it is about 7 years old and didn't want to invest in an older board however although I really do love the Yamaha YC I can't see myself using the organ that much. My Roland Fantom 7 is on the way as we speak and I want to buy a Hydrasynth Deluxe and a Summit. For the type of music I can see myself playing, I think that would be a dream set-up.

Yamaha could bring out a new workstation at any moment but on the other hand maybe not! tough call!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
No matter what you buy, it will be "old tech" in a year or two.

And "latest tech" will always take 3 to 9 months of backorder.

My advice, make a decision and don't look back.

Reaction score

Yeah, you make a very good point. Also even if a new board comes out it's probably not going to be "revolutionary" in any way. I got the Roland coming tomorrow so I am just going to get that up and running which will be fun.

Reaction score

Hey Gary, Seeing that I already have a Radial KL8 if I want to add a mixer what setup do you recommend? Would I be plugging the Mixer into the Main in/out of the Radial and am I plugging the boards into the mixer or keeping them going through the Radial?... Many thanks!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I recommend 12 or 16 channels from Mackie or Yamaha. WITH FX and USB soundcard capabilities. Avoid Behringer and off brands at all costs.

Premature channel failure is common on no names and the B word.

At today's prices, should run about $500-$600 plus put aside another hundo or two for cables.

or if you've just sold another kidney, buy one of these. :D

(I hear George Jetson owns one :D :D :D )

EDIT >>> sell the Radial.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I recommend 12 or 16 channels from Mackie or Yamaha. WITH FX and USB soundcard capabilities. Avoid Behringer and off brands at all costs.

Premature channel failure is common on no names and the B word.

At today's prices, should run about $500-$600 plus put aside another hundo or two for cables.

or if you've just sold another kidney, buy one of these. :D

(I hear George Jetson owns one :D :D :D )

EDIT >>> sell the Radial.
What do you think about the Yamaha MG12XU - I think I would be looking for a mixer with at least a good EQ and Low/Mid/High gains.

Reaction score
Also, Would I be plugging the Mixer into the Main in/out of the Radial and am I plugging the boards into the mixer or keeping them going through the Radial KL8 Thank you!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I've owned the MG16XU for about 6 years how. Not a hint of static.

Proprietary drivers required, though. Be warned Yamaha writes the shittiest DRM drek in their drivers.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Routing is up to you but be advised no matter how you daisy chain the mixers you effectively lose 2 channels.

Not to mention additional power supply cord.

Bring it in for a tradein on a bigger model.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The Soundcraft is cheaper and a well respected brand in the industry.

Reaction score

No knobs for Gain or EQ... all done digitally?...

Reaction score

Looks really good!

Reaction score
Hey Gary, Seeing that I already have a Radial KL8 if I want to add a mixer what setup do you recommend? Would I be plugging the Mixer into the Main in/out of the Radial and am I plugging the boards into the mixer or keeping them going through the Radial?... Many thanks!

Hi Chris,

A KL-8 is a mixer. Trying to understand why you’d need another one? Have you run out of channels?

Reaction score
Hi Chris,

A KL-8 is a mixer. Trying to understand why you’d need another one? Have you run out of channels?
Hey! Yes, and I love it. After having some problems with my overall sound coming out of my boards (nothing drastic) just room acoustics I want some EQ or Gains to fine-tune the sound and don't have any means of doing so. The KL-8 is great and was hoping I could maybe sort my problem out another way.

Ask a Question