How hard should I pound?(velocity range)

Reaction score
When I am tracking a keyboard part for a country record, there are parts where I play rythm and parts where I play licks. Should I play louder for the licks, or let the engineer work that out? I am a fiddle player who does some piano sequencing, and I would like to know the proper approach to studio playing for the most "authentic" results.

Reaction score
psyduck welcome to the keyboardsforum...I own a recording studio, and have had lots of bands come in to record, I find its best when a player (on any istrument) actually plays the dynamics of the music with the band, and this would include intrumental solos, or licks. I do find on occasion the need to nudge a part up in the song, so this is not unordinary for a player. So, for authenticities sake, play like your in the band.

Reaction score
psyduck welcome to the keyboardsforum...I own a recording studio, and have had lots of bands come in to record, I find its best when a player (on any istrument) actually plays the dynamics of the music with the band, and this would include intrumental solos, or licks. I do find on occasion the need to nudge a part up in the song, so this is not unordinary for a player. So, for authenticities sake, play like your in the band.

I agree. Just do what you normally do. :)

Ask a Question