How to clean bug spray off keys

Reaction score
I played an outdoor gig near a river, and I mistakenly sprayed myself preemptively with bug spray in front of my keyboard, and some of the spray got on the keys. And then, after a break, I came back to my boards and found them overrun with some kind of flying bugs, who wouldn't leave. Every single key was covered! It was like something out of Alfred Hitchcock or Stephen King, a real nightmare, but I had to start playing immediately. I panicked and sprayed bug spray directly on my keyboards (but it didn't really do anything to get them to scram). Does anyone have any idea how to clean them? I cleaned the bugs off, no problem, but the bug spray has left a coating that I can't get off. I tried Clorox wipes, alcohol on cotton balls, goof-off, dawn detergent with a no-scratch pad, and keyboard cleaner, but nothing is getting it all off. I am thinking that I'm going to have to take them somewhere to get detailed. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
DIY approach: Check YouTube for “how to clean plastic safely.

Step 2: Disassemble keyboard and apply treatment.

Option B: Pay a pro to clean it.

The solvents in the bug spray could ruin the board forever.

Gary. ;)

Reaction score
If you are capable strip the keyboard down and check for damage the bug spray may have done to the circuit boards and any other plastic.

If all looks OK remove the far left key

As you have tried alcohol and that did not work we can forget that.

Mix up some Baking Soda into a paste and spread it on the key.

Leave it to do its job whilst you have a coffee.

Clean off the baking soda and give the key a wile with denatured alcohol.

If this works great, you know what to do, if it does not order a new keybed.

Reaction score
Does the bug spray can list the ingredients, _including_ the "inactive" ingredients? Knowing what's in it, might help. But Goof-Off is pretty aggressive; I don't know where I'd go, from there.
. Charles

Ask a Question