How TO Connect Keyboard Using Aux Cable

Reaction score
I Have Yamaha PSR E353 Model Keyboard, But I Don't Know How TO Connect This Keyboard In My Home-Theater.
I Have Used To Aux-In Cable FOr Its, But Its Not Working.

Can Any Function In This Keyboard Have, That May I Don't Know?

Pls Help For This. How Would I Connect Keyboard, To HOme-Theater

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
The PSR-E353 has three possible ways that it can be connected with a home theater system, depending on what equipment is in your home theater system, what kinds of connections can be used with that equipment, and how you want to use the PSR-E353 within your home theater system.

AUX IN jack -- This is for connecting an external sound source to the PSR-E353 so you can listen to the sounds coming from the external source through the PSR-E353's speakers. See page 30 of the PSR-E353 Owner's Manual. Depending on the type of audio jack on the other device, you might need to either buy a special audio cable or else use a standard audio cable with one or more adapters. The PSR-E353's AUX IN jack takes a 3.5mm (often called 1/8") stereo plug. If the audio out jack on the external device also takes a 3.5mm stereo plug, then a standard "auxiliary" audio cable with 3.5mm TRS plugs on each end should work. But if the audio out jack on the external device takes some other sort of plug, then you might need to use an adapter or a special cable. For instance, if the external device takes RCA plugs, then you might want to search the online stores for a special cable using appropriate search terms, such as "RCA stereo to 3.5mm TRS audio cable."

The PSR-E353 has two functions which specifically pertain to an AUX IN connection:

"AuxInVol" is used to help balance the sound mixture going to the PSR-E353's speakers between the external device's sound and the PSR-E353's sound. Note that you should adjust the external device's sound volume (on the device itself) first, to make sure its audio signal is strong enough but not too strong. You should also adjust the volume of, and the balance between, the PSR-E353's parts using its "StyleVol," "SongVol," "M.Volume," "D.Volume," and "S.Volume" functions as appropriate. Then you can use the "AuxInVol" function to adjust the balance between the external device's sound and the PSR-E353's sound. Finally, use the PSR-E353's MASTER VOLUME dial to adjust its speaker volume.

"SupprPan" is used to suppress part of the external device's sound, such as a vocal part that you want to sing, or an instrumental part that you want to play. First, turn on the PSR-E353's MELODY SUPPRESSOR feature. Then use the "SupprPan" function to select the left-right pan position of the sound you want to suppress. Note that the sound coming from that pan position will not be completely eliminated, just decreased, and any other sounds (which you might want to keep) coming from that same pan position will also be suppressed.

PHONES/OUTPUT jack -- This is for connecting a pair of headphones, earbuds/earphones, external speakers, or other external device to the PSR-E353 so you can listen to the PSR-E353 through the external device, or record the PSR-E353's sound using the external device. See page 13 of the PSR-E353 Owner's Manual. Again, you might need to either buy a special audio cable or else use a standard audio cable with one or more adapters. The PSR-E353's PHONES/OUTPUT jack takes a 6.35mm (or 1/4") stereo plug.

USB TO HOST terminal -- This is for connecting the PSR-E353 to a computer or other USB host device so you can transmit MIDI data to or from the PSR-E353. If your home theater system doesn't include a computer or other MIDI-capable device, then this type of connection won't be of use.

Reaction score
Do all yamaha keyboard have an aux input. My keyboard has a phone/output, a sustain but not a input port. What should I do? Cause i want to connect songs from my phone and play it on the keyboard via aux cable,

Reaction score
Welcome Eben.

It very much depends upon model, each is intended for different market segments and each is tailored accordingly.

Yamaha have a Bluetooth adaptor available to buy and use with models having no inputs but including the capabilities to attach the Bluetooth.

The sales info and freely availabke manuals will or rather, should include the details.

If you are unsure, do post details of the keyboard(s) you own or are are interested in buying.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
The AUX IN jack is definitely one of the newer additions to the lower-end models, but it's been a few years now that they've been included. And some models don't have built-in speakers, since they're generally intended to be played through external sound systems, so those models might not have an AUX IN or LEFT IN/RIGHT IN audio jacks.

So the answer to your question depends on the particular line of models, as well as the age of the specific model. These days it's common to want to use your phone or other device to play music and have the sound come out of the keyboard's speakers, but it wasn't so long ago (to old-timers like me, anyway, to whom 30 years ago sometimes seems like the day before yesterday) when there were no smart phones and no music apps.

Reaction score
Hi,
my Yamaha keyboard is YPT-200. I tried connecting my phone to the phone output port using a male to male cable but for some reason I cannot play the song onto my Yamaha keyboard. I don’t have an input port however I got phone and output and sustain.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
The PHONES/OUTPUT jack is for transmitting the keyboard's audio to a pair of headphones, not for receiving an auxiliary device's audio to the keyboard. The YPT-200 model predates the inclusion of an AUX IN jack on the YPT and PSR-E line of Yamaha keyboards.

Reaction score
Buy a new keyboard.

Your YPT 200 is an old low end model with very low connectivity, ie it has No Input socket(s), it does not even have a USB port so there is no point in buying a Bluetooth adaptor.

The only way to achieve what you want with your YPT is to buy a Mixer, feed the Mobile phone audio into the Mixer and feed the output from your YPT into the Mixer, plug a set of headphones into the Mixer, set the levels as you want and play. If you want the audio from the Mixer to be heard in the room then you will need to add a pair of Powered Monitor Speakers.

Hence why I suggest buying a new keyboard.

Reaction score
Hi again,
I have a midi in port and out port but I don't have the cable with me just yet. Just out of curiosity, is it possible if I cannot play songs from my phone to the keyboard via midi port. Can you tell me what the midi port is used for and whether or not it's suitable or not for me to use to connect my phone.

Reaction score
If a MIDI port was suitable to feed an audio signal into it which could be heard in your keyboard we would have so.

So let me emphasise the point MIDI ports do not support analogue audio, either as an input or an output.

Think of MIDI as a digital signal system, data is transmitted such as the note, its duration, how hard the key is pressed etc that info is received in say a Computer App which decodes it into the DAW.

Again there is no way you can feed audio into your YPT.

When I wrote….

The only way to achieve what you want with your YPT is to buy a Mixer, feed the Mobile phone audio into the Mixer and feed the output from your YPT into the Mixer, plug a set of headphones into the Mixer, set the levels as you want and play. If you want the audio from the Mixer to be heard in the room then you will need to add a pair of Powered Monitor Speakers.

this was not some throw away comment, it is the ONLY WAY you can use your YPT in the manner that you want.

So save up your cash and buy the above or buy a new keyboard.

I am done commenting on this thread.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
MIDI IN and MIDI OUT ports are used for sending and receiving MIDI data, which is not audio data, so the short answer to your question is no, you cannot use the MIDI ports to play audio songs on your phone and send them to your keyboard.

However, if you have a MIDI app on your phone, and if your phone is able to use a USB connection to another device, and is also able to send and receive MIDI data through USB, then you might be able to play MIDI songs on your phone and send them to your keyboard.

This is not the same as playing audio songs, because the MIDI data is simply telling the keyboard which notes to play, so the music will be played using the keyboard's sounds rather than whatever instrument sounds the band who wrote the song used.

Furthermore, there will be no song vocals.

There are a few additional things to note with regard to the above:

First, connecting another device to a phone via USB typically requires getting an adapter for the phone. iPhones will require one of two types of adapter, depending on whether it a Lightning port (which would require a USB to Lightning adapter) or the older style of port (which would require a different adapter). Android phones may or may not be able to use a similar sort of adapter, typically called a USB OTG (On The Go) adapter.

Second, even if you find an adapter that your phone can use, sending and receiving MIDI over USB requires a driver of some kind to convert the data between MIDI and USB. Some phones have their own built-in drivers, such as Apple's coreMIDI. Other phones might not have a suitable built-in driver, in which case you might not be able to use them to send and receive MIDI data.

Also, any MIDI data that you sequence to your keyboard (or send to it "live" to tell it which notes to play at any given moment) will use up some of your keyboard's polyphony (or the maximum number of notes it can play simultaneously), which means you won't be able to play as many notes yourself without the keyboard dropping older sustained notes so new notes can be played.

So depending on what you mean-- yes, you might be able to sequence MIDI songs to your keyboard. But as far as your specific question-- no, you cannot use MIDI ports to play audio songs on your phone and send them to your keyboard's built-in speakers.

Ask a Question