How to play MIDI files on CASIO CTK-810IN

Reaction score
HI,
I am not able to play MIDI files on CASIO CTK-810IN. I have already convertted all the files using SMF converter. And when I insert SD card on keyboard it shows format error. can any one help me please....?

Reaction score
happyrat1,

Thanks for you reply, but there is no option for format the card in the keyboard.
Is it necessary to create any specified folder in the card...?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I've just skimmed thru the entire manual. That thing doesn't support SD Cards or any kind of removable storage. Where the hell are you plugging the card into?

Gary

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
According to Casio's web site, it has an SD slot in the front, above the keyboard where they show the icons for the drum kit, toward the right speaker:

http://www.casio-intl.com/in/en/emi/indiankeyboard/ctk810in/

But on page E-6 of the manual it shows the SD slot as being on the back, to the left of the USB port.

On page E-59 of the manual it says to use an SD or SDHC card that's no larger than 32GB.

On page E-74 of the manual it says the following about the "Err Format" message:

Cause: 1. The format of the memory card is not compatible with this Digital Keyboard.
Action: 1. Format the memory card (page E-60).

Cause: 2. The memory card is damaged.
Action: 2. Use a different memory card.

Cause: 3. You are trying to use an SDXC card.
Action: 3. SDXC cards are not supported. Use an SD or SDHC memory card.

So assuming you're using the correct type and size of SD or SDHC card, the instructions for formatting the card are on page E-60 of the manual.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Thanks Michael.

My Google-Fu skills were weak on this one.

Even so, it seems to be a very poorly documented keyboard.

Gary

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
My nephew has a WK-110, which is the 76-key version of the CTK-810, and the CTK-810/WK-110 manual has no references to "SD" or "card" anywhere. So you were probably looking at the wrong manual. :)

I guess Casio added SD support for the Indian version of the CTK-810.

Reaction score
According to Casio's web site, it has an SD slot in the front, above the keyboard where they show the icons for the drum kit, toward the right speaker:

But on page E-6 of the manual it shows the SD slot as being on the back, to the left of the USB port.

On page E-59 of the manual it says to use an SD or SDHC card that's no larger than 32GB.

On page E-74 of the manual it says the following about the "Err Format" message:

Cause: 1. The format of the memory card is not compatible with this Digital Keyboard.

So assuming you're using the correct type and size of SD or SDHC card, the instructions for formatting the card are on page E-60 of the manual.

Thanks for the support,
I formatted the card, And still having the problem. I can send files directly to keyboard. But if save the file and copy to SD card still same problem. Please help.

20140713_191656.jpg
20140713_191808.jpg

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Sometimes a certain brand of card is simply incompatible with a certain model of keyboard.

I'd suggest trying a different make and model of SD Card just to see if that's the problem.

Gary

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
My nephew's WK-110 doesn't have an SD card slot, so I don't have any way to try using an SD card myself-- but I'll take a closer look at the CTK-810IN manual and see if says anything that might be helpful. What is the exact message that you're getting now-- is it still "Err Format," or something else?

The suggestion about trying a different brand might do the trick. I have some SanDisk USB thumb drives that came with some software pre-installed on them, and it seems to be impossible to format them in a way that removes that software-- when I reformat the thumb drive and then stick it in the computer, the computer shows *two* drive letters for the thumb drive instead of only one! I don't know if your SanDisk SD card is similar in that respect, but if it is then this might be causing a problem for the Casio-- in which case using a different brand may help.

I know that Yamaha actually has documents that list which USB thumb drives are confirmed to be compatible with its keyboards. I don't know if Casio has similar documents for SD cards.

One other thought-- when you created the "MUSICDAT" folder on the card, how did you type it in? I'm wondering if it needs to be all caps-- and don't put a space between "MUSIC" and "DAT."

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Actually on all Casios I've seen so far, formatting the card in the keyboard creates the necessary MUSICDAT folder automagically. I'd imagine they followed standard practice designing this one as well.

But the brand of SD Card can make a big difference.

There are programs that will reformat a Sandisk Card and remove the crap partition for you. Perhaps run one of those and then format it in the keyboard again. Use the U3 Removal Utility First if it applies to your card.

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2550/~/removing/uninstalling-u3-launchpad-on-a-pc

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/eula_windows/

If it still doesn't work after that then try a cheap no name SD card and see if that works instead.

Gary

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Thanks for those links! Fortunately the crap partition hasn't prevented the USB thumb drives from working on my Yamahas, but it's still great to know how to get rid of that stuff, since I never use it and would prefer to just delete it entirely.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You're very welcome Mike. ;)

Personally I run Linux so it's easy as pie to get rid of the crapware using Gparted.

Gary

Last edited:
Reaction score
Actually on all Casios I've seen so far, formatting the card in the keyboard creates the necessary MUSICDAT folder automagically. I'd imagine they followed standard practice designing this one as well.

But the brand of SD Card can make a big difference.

There are programs that will reformat a Sandisk Card and remove the crap partition for you. Perhaps run one of those and then format it in the keyboard again. Use the U3 Removal Utility First if it applies to your card.

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2550/~/removing/uninstalling-u3-launchpad-on-a-pc

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/eula_windows/

If it still doesn't work after that then try a cheap no name SD card and see if that works instead.

Gary
Sometimes a certain brand of card is simply incompatible with a certain model of keyboard.

I'd suggest trying a different make and model of SD Card just to see if that's the problem.

Gary

Gary

Thanks for you all,

Now I can play files from my SD Card, These are the steps I have done,
1 Changed my SD card,
2 Formatted card from laptop
3 Created a folder named "MUSICDAT"
4 converted MIDI files to .CM2 file using casio SMF converter in Windows XP
5 copy these files to the folder MUSICDAT
6 Inserted card in the keyboard
7 Selected the key CARD
8 Press button play.

Once More Thanks everyone for the support..

Attachments

• SD Card.jpg
    SD Card.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 1,811
Reaction score
My nephew's WK-110 doesn't have an SD card slot, so I don't have any way to try using an SD card myself-- but I'll take a closer look at the CTK-810IN manual and see if says anything that might be helpful. What is the exact message that you're getting now-- is it still "Err Format," or something else?

The suggestion about trying a different brand might do the trick. I have some SanDisk USB thumb drives that came with some software pre-installed on them, and it seems to be impossible to format them in a way that removes that software-- when I reformat the thumb drive and then stick it in the computer, the computer shows *two* drive letters for the thumb drive instead of only one! I don't know if your SanDisk SD card is similar in that respect, but if it is then this might be causing a problem for the Casio-- in which case using a different brand may help.

I know that Yamaha actually has documents that list which USB thumb drives are confirmed to be compatible with its keyboards. I don't know if Casio has similar documents for SD cards.

One other thought-- when you created the "MUSICDAT" folder on the card, how did you type it in? I'm wondering if it needs to be all caps-- and don't put a space between "MUSIC" and "DAT."

Now I can play files from my SD Card, These are the steps I have done,
1 Changed my SD card,
2 Formatted card from laptop
3 Created a folder named "MUSICDAT"
4 converted MIDI files to .CM2 file using casio SMF converter in Windows XP
5 copy these files to the folder MUSICDAT
6 Inserted card in the keyboard
7 Selected the key CARD
8 Press button play.

Once More Thanks everyone for the support..

Reaction score
I tried everythn ... initially i formatted my sd card in my laptop .. then following the manual steps , i tried formatting it in keyboard... it gives the card format option n when i give "Yes" option for the sure option..it says pls wait n it again displays the msg as err format.. i tried using diff cards, but unfortunately wit all of em..i m getng the same issue ... i tried formatting wit the format tool u that u have given above..still it shows the same err format msg !! Pls help

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
One issue may be the size of the SD card. Your keyboard may have been built a while ago, and not designed to work with today's large capacity cards.

Ask a Question