How to record keyboard into pc

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a macbook pro and cubase LE4 software that I use to record my guitar into when i'm doing video covers. What I want to know is, is there a way to connect my keyboard into my computer to record? My computer has 2 USB ports, and my keyboard has one MIDI out and one MIDI in. Is there like a MIDI to USB cable or something?

Thanks

The Y_man

Reaction score
Recording the actual audio output, or MIDI data? (MIDI Datat consists of which key was pressed, how gard/fast it has hit, etc)....

The Y-man

Reaction score
I'm actually not sure! haha I import the original mp3 into the cubase software and record the track ontop of that. I then sync up the video from a separate camera with the audio in a video editing software to get the final video. I guess I would only need the audio output of the keyboard then hey?

Reaction score
Audacity is free and good software to record from keyboard to PC. Line Out or even Heaphone out from the keyboard to LINE in on the PC.
OR midi in-out keyboard to USB to record in any DAW. You need the cable as in the picture attached, sold on EBay. OR USB-B (on the keyboard) to USB-A pc using a normal USB printercable.

Attachments

• USB-MIDI-IN-OUT.jpg
    USB-MIDI-IN-OUT.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 530
Reaction score
Audacity is free and good software to record from keyboard to PC. Line Out or even Heaphone out from the keyboard to LINE in on the PC.
OR midi in-out keyboard to USB to record in any DAW. You need the cable as in the picture attached, sold on EBay. OR USB-B (on the keyboard) to USB-A pc using a normal USB printercable.

Reaction score
DickR, could you please look at my question posted seperately here. I believe I have a similar problem using a Korg M1 and a Presonus Audiobox VSL to transfer sequenced tracks to my PC. Thank you.

Reaction score
Hi, I'm using Reaper to record, a netbook PC and an old PSR-170 Yamaha keyboard, with no usb port. I have the adapter that has the same logo as the one I saw pictured in the forums, midi in , midi out, usb, and three lights http://www.amazon.com/MIDI-Cable-Co...356557740&sr=8-7&keywords=usb+to+midi+adapter
Do I need some type of driver? My computer is not recognizing my keyboard (or my DD-502 OSP electronic drums) My soundcard is internal and works fine for recording audio with my small audio interface box through the computer's usb port, but that unit came with a disk to install on my computer.

The Y_man

Reaction score
Hi, I'm using Reaper to record, a netbook PC and an old PSR-170 Yamaha keyboard, with no usb port. I have the adapter that has the same logo as the one I saw pictured in the forums, midi in , midi out, usb, and three lights http://www.amazon.com/MIDI-Cable-Converter-Music-Keyboard/dp/B003KXEDVQ/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1356557740&sr=8-7&keywords=usb to midi adapter
Do I need some type of driver? My computer is not recognizing my keyboard (or my DD-502 OSP electronic drums) My soundcard is internal and works fine for recording audio with my small audio interface box through the computer's usb port, but that unit came with a disk to install on my computer.

Are you trying to record MIDI key events or audio? MIDI is NOT audio....

The Y-man

Reaction score
Are you trying to record MIDI key events or audio? MIDI is NOT audio....

The Y-man
Yes, the audio is a snap, but I want to edit the midi data to change the sound bank or VSTi used or edit drums, add fills, etc. The yamaha at least appears in my preferences as "USB audio device" (enabled), but I don't get any events recorded. Maybe I should ask this in my Reaper recording software forum. The electronic drums don't show up at all.

The Y_man

Reaction score
I used anvilstudio to record the midi from my old yammy using the same midi-usb cable - seems ok BUT I could not record/deconstruct the styles on it.

One test - can you play the VSTi directly from the keyboard? (not try record or anyhting? eg using Chainer)

The Y-man

Ask a Question