I received one of these from Amazon today...

Reaction score
Very cool @CowboyNQ ! Do you find it easier playing it with short mouthpiece?

Firstly, thanks!

I find it easier in the sense that I feel I have more immediacy over my breath control, but then I find it more difficult as my close up eyesight is failing me as I move into my late 40's, so I can't really see the keys that well.

I'm still only really learning how to play the thing and I'm far from a virtuoso - but I don't really think it matters whether or not you use the hose or the short mouthpiece - I think whatever makes you feel comfortable.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Just in case you should ever feel inclined to update your avatar...

Out with the old

and in with the new!

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
It looks to me that just right hand melody is played on the melodica.
The left hand is used to hold the instrument.
This would suit me since I do not play the left hand bass (F) cleff.
Got me interested now.
ray

Reaction score
Man they're expensive in Australia.
Yes mine was a gift but guess it cost around AUD80.

All keyboard equipment is ridiculously expensive here. I very jealously look at the prices our American friends pay. Even allowing for exchange rates we do it tough. This is the reason why I only upgrade once in a blue moon, and then after a mountain of research.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
It looks to me that just right hand melody is played on the melodica.
The left hand is used to hold the instrument.
This would suit me since I do not play the left hand bass (F) cleff.
Got me interested now.
ray

I've always read your user name as "Ray-buhl Wit," and never even saw it as "Ray Blew It" until you added "Do you think Ray blew it?" as your user status message or wherever it was. But if you buy a melodica, it will give new meaning to your user name! ;)

By the way, your comment about hands gave me an idea for a redesign of the melodica. My new design will have two keyboards back to back, with one side for your right hand and the other side for your left hand. The mouthpiece will be curved in an L shape so you can hold it sideways like a flute. And there will be two replaceable mouthpieces, one curved in one direction, and the other curved in the other direction, so you can hold the melodica pointed to the right side of your head or to the left side depending on whether you're right handed or left handed. Now all I need to do is come up with a working prototype and pitch my idea to the melodica makers of the world to see if I get a bite. :)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Yes mine was a gift but guess it cost around AUD80.

All keyboard equipment is ridiculously expensive here. I very jealously look at the prices our American friends pay. Even allowing for exchange rates we do it tough. This is the reason why I only upgrade once in a blue moon, and then after a mountain of research.

Here in Canada we pay pretty much the same price as the Americans once you correct for the exchange rate.

$1 CDN ~= $0.75 USD.

About the same as the AUD exchange rate, but you guys have to factor in the shipping costs I guess.

Actually it appears you pay about the same amount we do.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Depends a little on what you're after - but I have found that overall it's quite a bit more expensive here than in the States. I assume that it's the cost of shipping things from the Northern Hemisphere, plus the fact we have a tiny market here so retailers need to up their margins to make up for a lack of volume. Not that I have any expertise in these matters.

I do think our retailers gouge us down here sometimes. A recent example was when I bought my K&M keyboard stand. I could have grabbed it from the Australian distributor for (from memory) AUD350 more than I was able to order it from Thomann in the UK. Even with exchange rates and shipping costs factored in. Yikes!

Last edited:

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
I've always read your user name as "Ray-buhl Wit," and never even saw it as "Ray Blew It" until you added "Do you think Ray blew it?" as your user status message or wherever it was. But if you buy a melodica, it will give new meaning to your user name! ;)
That is clever thinking Michael. To blow ones own trumpet is the pun.
In this case Melodica.
My name (creation) Ray Blewit was actually derived from the first line of Jethro Tull's song "The Pied Piper."

I once belonged to a Tull forum. Gone defunct now but we were a worldwide friendly community just like the KB forums. We all used avatars and pen names relating to Tull. So in fact Ray is not my real name. That'll get you thinking. lol.
My current avatar has been lifted from the cover of Tull's very first lp from 1968 called "this was"

Cheers Ray. . . . (?)

Reaction score
Ray

Or should I say ..... Ian ..... incognito, drumming up support for the Band.

Talking of the man himself, JT are touring Europe and the USA this year but so far no UK concerts are listed nor is the solo Cathedral Concerts but dates are sort of known so I am constantly looking for when they are released as we would love to see him perform in Chester Cathedral.

Last edited:

Ask a Question