I sold my Korg Tonight...

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
My Kurzweil is arriving tomorrow, a day late, delayed in transit. I am both elated and terrified in anticipation of receiving this magnificent beast and worried about how the shippers are treating it.

Shipping weight is listed at 74 lbs so I'm going to have a hell of a time carrying this monster down the stairs to its new permanent home.

Fortunately I own a hand truck so worst case scenario if I can't conscript some good Samaritan to help me carry it there I can always make do with my trusty dolly ;)

Keeping fingers crossed for a safe arrival... :)

Gary

Reaction score
If I recall correctly the PC3x was 54 pounds and I believe the PC3K8 weighs the same. Not sure where the extra 20 pounds is coming from a shipping perspective.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Power supply, pedal, manuals, extra heavy duty 88 key shipping carton. I could see an extra 15 to 20 lbs there easy.

Also I've dealt with these guys before and they have a tendency to double box everything.

(Edit) You should've seen when they shipped me my Onstage Dual Z stand. You'd have sworn they'd packed a dishwasher in that box :D :D :D

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Toronto flooded yesterday. Worst flooding in almost 60 years. Power here was out most of yesterday. No water damage at my place. However, upshot is that courier company has 28 trucks sitting unloaded at the hub and one more day's delay!@!! :mad:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The Kurzweil ARRIVED this afternoon!!! It survived the trip and the floods without a scratch nor so much as a watermark. The box has seen better days but the thing weighs as much as a house and couriers are what they are.

Even so, it was brilliantly packaged and meant to handle abuse from shippers.

I couldn't have managed to get it down the stairs on my own but luckily I had a friend standing by and between the two of us we got it into place and hooked up.

I ran a quick test and everything seems to boot up OK.

Tonight I'll get down to the nitty gritty and start testing out the features in earnest.

Finally my heart can stop skipping beats and I can relax a bit. ;)

I should have some new sequences up in a week or two, maybe even this weekend.

Thanks to all for the moral support and sage advice. This is a great place with great people. :D

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Make sure the O.S. installed is at least version 2.10. All the latest programs, setups and newest features (many) are included in that version. To check the OS version, you can see it on power up or after power up, hit the master mode button, then the About tab. O.S. updates take no more than about 5 minutes to do even if you are a novice at it. Follow the instructions in the O.S. documentation to the letter i.e. every step mentioned has a purpose.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The current OS is 2.01.something

This thing must have been sitting on the showroom floor for a while.

Anyway, my brain is too fried to update tonight. I'll mess with the update tomorrow after a good night's sleep. Also we've been having rolling blackouts here in town since the flood, so I'll probably have to hook it up to a UPS to make certain it goes smoothly.

First impressions : It's absolutely GORGEOUS sitting on my rack. Fit and finish are immaculate. The key action is a bit heavy but no worse than I've seen on acoustic pianos and considerably better than most. One thing I really love though is aftertouch on a hammer action keyboard. That really is the icing on the cake. :D

The sounds and menus are intimidating. It will take me weeks before I am comfortable navigating them.

Anyway, perhaps it's the quality of my monitors, but the bread and butter pianos don't really sound any better than my old Korg, but then again I have yet to start tweaking or go thru them all. The organ sounds though, are amazing. :eek:

MIDI hookup was a breeze. No special mode settings or gymnastics to get it talking to cakewalk. Plug in the USB, point it at the INS file and voila, the whole soundset is at my fingertips.

Anyway, I'll do the firmware update and explore more deeply as time permits, but the first impressions are that I made the right choice and this is indeed the keyboard I wish to be buried with :D

Thanks Dave, for steering me to this technological marvel...

Gary

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Here's some pics of my new setup... ;)

keyrig_0295.jpg

keyrig_0293.jpg

studio-flowchart.jpg

Ask a Question