I Think Workstations Are Just Not For Me

Reaction score
Thank you very much, Paul! I have been watching loads of YT videos and I really do like it. The only problem is getting one in good condition, with them being 10 years old most I have seen are badly scratched.

Reaction score
If you are thinking Korg, the Prologue is a much more modern unit.

Just watching a few clips of the Prologue... impressive. One thing I didn't know was that it has presets. I like the idea of being able to tweak a sound rather than having no other option than starting from scratch, that feels a little intimidating to me

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Every synth I've mentioned so far has hundreds of presets, but usually only a couple dozen good ones :)

If you're really lazy, Hydrasynth generates random presets at the push of a button.

15-20% rule still applies, but sometimes it coughs up a gem.

There are always people on the web selling sound packs for all of them.

Plenty of free stuff too. ;)

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Actually, I like to look at crappy tones as something to be played around with.

Twist a knob or two and hit a few buttons and Zowie!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Seriously.

Of all the synths mentioned so far, my best choice for you is the Take 5. Don't let the small size fool you. Clever positioning of the Octave Knobs and location of the preset and bank buttons make it a joy to play that punches waaaay above it's weight class.

It can and does produce tons of vintage sounds in the factory presets and stuff that simply feeds your imagination as well.

Sequential circuits has led the industry since the 70's and even helped design the MIDI standard in the first place.

And here's the kicker. The factory is American. No supply chain issues mon.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thank you very much, Paul! I have been watching loads of YT videos and I really do like it. The only problem is getting one in good condition, with them being 10 years old most I have seen are badly scratched.
Yeah mine has a few scratches on the finish too, and I think the word "volume" has completely disappeared from the volume knob with all the years of me sweating into the paint surface. It's one of the ugliest keyboards I've ever had the pleasure of owning, HAHA!

Reaction score
Yeah mine has a few scratches on the finish too, and I think the word "volume" has completely disappeared from the volume knob with all the years of me sweating into the paint surface. It's one of the ugliest keyboards I've ever had the pleasure of owning, HAHA!
Yeah!... I think I might be going in another direction as the King Korg is 10 years old most are asking $750 to $850 for a banged-up used board. Another $700 or so and I could get a new modern synth!... Hmm

Reaction score
Seriously.

Of all the synths mentioned so far, my best choice for you is the Take 5. Don't let the small size fool you. Clever positioning of the Octave Knobs and location of the preset and bank buttons make it a joy to play that punches waaaay above it's weight class.

It can and does produce tons of vintage sounds in the factory presets and stuff that simply feeds your imagination as well.

Sequential circuits has led the industry since the 70's and even helped design the MIDI standard in the first place.

And here's the kicker. The factory is American. No supply chain issues mon.

Gary ;)
I have looked at the Hydrasynth and Korg Prologue. Now going to look at the Take 5! The Hydrasynth Deluxe and Prologue are the same price...

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
My main disappointment with the hydra is that it lacks a sequencer. It does have a kickass arpeggiator though and it's possible to create pseudo sequences using the modulation matrix creatively. Even so, I use mine every day :)

Gary ;)

PS. There's some controversy about the feel and playability of the keyboard.

I've heard comments about "cheap and plasticky feel."

What I believe they are complaining about the shallow travel depth of a keypress, but I alternate between 88 hammer action and synth style when I'm playing, and for synth riffs, I find my fingers travel across the board like lightning.

It's extremely quick once you get used to it.

:D

Reaction score
My main disappointment with the hydra is that it lacks a sequencer. It does have a kickass arpeggiator though and it's possible to create pseudo sequences using the modulation matrix creatively. Even so, I use mine every day :)

Gary ;)

PS. There's some controversy about the feel and playability of the keyboard.

I've heard comments about "cheap and plasticky feel."

What I believe they are complaining about the shallow travel depth of a keypress, but I alternate between 88 hammer action and synth style when I'm playing, and for synth riffs, I find my fingers travel across the board like lightning.

It's extremely quick once you get used to it.

:D
I have given myself a day off today so I am just led on the sofa watching endless clips of synths! it's a tough one, like I said I really like the Hydra but don't know the brand at all... The Korg Prologue looks really good too and I actually like the 61-key, it sounds just wonderful. Hydra Deluxe looks a little bulky but not sure which one would be more intuitive to use. I am not a "sound designer" but would like to customize things. Just want to geek out on 80s music and want to sound as authentic as possible!

Reaction score
Another problem I am finding is the Prologue seemed to have some problems with the OS and detuned oscillators?... most reviews for the Hydra are stellar...

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
My recommendation for a first synth still holds true with the Take 5. Or the Prophet Rev2 16 if you wanna blow the money.

These will give you all the most iconic sounds in a single package.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
My recommendation for a first synth still holds true with the Take 5. Or the Prophet Rev2 16 if you wanna blow the money.

These will give you all the most iconic sounds in a single package.

Gary ;)
Going to take a look at the Prophet Rev2. Thanks, Gary!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Just find your way into a showroom with a sequential on floor demo,

To be honest the keybed of the Take 5 is slightly better quality than the Rev 2.

The Take 5 keys are full sized and have a nice feel to them.

The Rev 2 keys, for some reason are about a millimeter narrower than standard.

They take a bit of getting used to.

You may actually be better off buying the module version and using a controller of your choice.

Do take them for a test drive before committing either way.

If at all possible, else order from someone with a free returns policy :)

Gary ;)

Ask a Question