I Think Workstations Are Just Not For Me

Reaction score
Well, I am going to my local music store and see if I can have a go on the REV2 and Prologue. It's impossible to get a proper feel for them watching YT. Based on the clips I have watched I do like the sound of the Prologue better. Knowing the type of music you create Gary I can see why you would prefer the REV2. I feel that I will have to rely on presets for a while as I am new to analog synths. If I get something too complex I know what I am like... I will get frustrated and end up not liking whatever I buy.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Here's the module version...

You could always use it with a controller with aftertouch.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Like I said, the Rev2 comes with 512 factory presets and another 512 user slots to play with.

How many presets do you need?

Reaction score
I totally understand Ray! I only learned bass in the left a few years ago as I started out on organs so played full-note chords in the left with bass pedals for bass.
You just go with what feels best to handle for you, and what sounds best to your ears! - not considering if it is old or new,- people always suggest "this and that" - try out and play them! - listen to YT-videos with them -- i never listen to suggestions - i listen to the synths....the combo you suggest sounds fine! Levi in Sweden

Reaction score
You just go with what feels best to handle for you, and what sounds best to your ears! - not considering if it is old or new,- people always suggest "this and that" - try out and play them! - listen to YT-videos with them -- i never listen to suggestions - i listen to the synths....the combo you suggest sounds fine! Levi in Sweden
Good advice! thank you, Levi.

Reaction score
Went to Guitar Center today, I have even more food for thought now. They had a Hydrasynth and a Novation Summit. Regarding the Summit all I can say is WOW! What a great sound... I really loved it. I also thought the Hydra was very good too... I hit on a lush pad on the Summit and that was it, I nearly bought it there, and then.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Never heard of it, but it looks spendy :)

Best advice, get last year's model.

This avoids shipping delays and avoids next year's Edsel orphan.

Groove Systems?

Never heard of them. Sounds like a new startup.

If you can find one for a good price take a chance.

I still refuse to sell my Studiologic Sledge even though it's currently stored away.

6 minutes into the video and I still haven't heard anything I couldn't duplicate on the Rev2 or the Take 5. ;)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Never heard of it, but it looks spendy :)

Best advice, get last year's model.

This avoids shipping delays and avoids next year's Edsel orphan.

Groove Systems?

Never heard of them. Sounds like a new startup.

If you can find one for a good price take a chance.

I still refuse to sell my Studiologic Sledge even though it's currently stored away.

6 minutes into the video and I still haven't heard anything I couldn't duplicate on the Rev2 or the Take 5. ;)

Gary ;)
Yeah, it is nearly 5k, I am sure in the right hands it can do some amazing things. I am going to call a few other music stores near me and see if I can have a go on the Rev2. Just because I have had hands-on experience I am leaning toward the Summit as of now... it really did impress me and I think it would be a wonderful second board over my YC88.

Reaction score
I don't know about you guys but I have found that it takes some time to find out what your likes and dislikes are regarding different brands of keyboards, whether you prefer Workstations over Stage Pianos or hardware Vs software. After playing keyboards now for about 6 years I have learnt a lot about myself. I really don't get along with technology even after trying to apply myself and persevere with my Korg Nautilus I find it hard work and laborious I have also found out that I don't really like arranger keyboards either but music should be fun, right?

I went down to my local music store about a week ago now and I stumbled upon the Yamaha YC88. Well, this changed my opinion straight away! I loved it! being able to craft my sounds on the fly without delving into countless screens and trying to press small areas of the screen with your nail... well... THIS is what I wanted!

This whole approach has really opened my eyes and I really feel this is the way for me to go.

The YC88 has a great organ, wonderful pianos, and a decent synth section. When I was at the store I also saw a King Korg that just blew my mind... and again I realized the immediacy of being able to turn a knob and craft your sound in real time. So I think that is the way I am going to go... Yamaha YC and a 61-key King Korg on top!

I have always had a keen interest in analog synths but was held back by so much menu diving. I like the King Korg because it gives you many presets too.
Menu diving? You're not on an analog synth. Try an Arp 2600 or any synth that requires patch cords - real or virtual. WAY more fun and non-repeatable.
But the YC is quite a bird, if you are willing to pack the weight. i just got the CK88, not quite as detailed but a serious stage gig instrument. And half the price!

Reaction score
Menu diving? You're not on an analog synth. Try an Arp 2600 or any synth that requires patch cords - real or virtual. WAY more fun and non-repeatable.
But the YC is quite a bird, if you are willing to pack the weight. i just got the CK88, not quite as detailed but a serious stage gig instrument. And half the price!
Yep, a fair amount of meu diving on the Korg Nautilus... Just not for me. My YC88 will be delivered tomorrow!... hows the CK88?

Ask a Question