Input/Output Question - Cakewalk Music Creator 6

Reaction score
I use my Roland A-49 midi controller to record midi tracks into Music Creator 6 that feeds my Ketron SD2 module into my USB mixer which sends the sound back to my Cakewalk. For the piano track, I wish to use a Yamaha P-45 both to record and for play back. When I connect the USB my Yamaha appears as digital piano, so I select it as both input and output, but input is the only thing I get. The track records but the sound comes from the Ketron, not from the Yamaha. I have found no combination of input-output-instrument settings to get the Yamaha to play back. In assigning the piano track its patch, nothing from the Yamaha is offered. Any ideas?

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I don't have Music Creator, but hopefully the demo version of SONAR is similar enough.

If you are adding a track by using the "+ Add Track" option, you can choose "Audio" or "Instrument"-- choose the "Instrument" option. Then click on the "Instrument" drop-down field and select "MIDI Only." Next, click on the "Advanced" option (unless it's already expanded), click on the "Output" drop-down field, and it should show you all of the MIDI outputs that you had enabled in the "Preferences." Select the one you want, either the Ketron SD2 or Yamaha P-45, whatever they're called.

If you are right-clicking and selecting "Insert MIDI Track," the new MIDI track will apparently default to the MIDI output which is listed first in the "Preferences." If you want to send the MIDI to a different output, click on the new track and then, in the lower left corner where it shows "In / Out," click on the second field ("O" or Output) and it should let you choose from among the enabled MIDI outputs.

Reaction score
Thanks, Sea. Music Creator 6 does not offer the Sonar path you describe The 3 attached photos illustrate my settings. Maybe in viewing them you'll see something further to suggest.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    215.5 KB · Views: 354
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    277 KB · Views: 340
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    366.5 KB · Views: 373

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
First off, in the third jpg, the Yamaha is probably visible if you scroll down the output instrument list.

Secondly make certain the Yamaha is set to receive on the channel which you are outputting your track.

ie. Is the Yamaha set to Channel 1 or channel 8?

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Okay, I can see in the first two images that you actually do have the P-45 selected as the output, which is good.

However, the screen shown in the third image isn't used for selecting the output device, it's used for selecting the patch mapping-- if one is available. This is strictly for convenience, to help you select the voice banks and voices by their names rather than by their numeric values. You could start by selecting Yamaha XG, which should be a good generic choice for any Yamaha keyboard. But I believe there's also an option to load a new instrument definition file if you have one. If you don't already have one, you might be able to find one by searching the web for something like "Cakewalk instrument definition Yamaha P-45," or use "patch list" in place of "instrument definition." If you can't find one for the P-45 or a similar model, you could try creating your own patch list file using the voice list in the P-45's manuals-- it's usually easiest to start with an existing file for a similar model and edit it as needed.

Reaction score
I FOUND THE SOLUTION:
The digital piano's MIDI settings can select a transmit channel but it isn't necessary because it transmits regardless of its setting. It receives on all 16 channels and that cannot be altered. Below are the settings I eventually found to record from the digital piano and hear it play back, while also hearing my Ketron tracks.

Choose a MIDI track/channel for the digital piano, then follow these paths:
1. Preferences > MIDI Devices > Inputs/Outputs > both Ketron & Digital Piano for In and Out.
2. Preferences > MIDI Instruments > Output/Channel > (whatever track/channel you've chosen for the digital piano) > Uses Instrument > default. (<default> has to be selected - it's at the top)
3. Apply > Close.

As for the IN/OUT drop-downs on the Inspector Pane, select either of these:
IN > None, or
IN > Digital Piano > MIDI Omni.
(Do not select the channel you're using for the digital piano because the piano will not transmit.)
OUT > Digital Piano.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I'm glad you were able to get it working the way you needed! :)

Ask a Question