IPad Alternative

Reaction score
I see a lot of references regarding using an IPad with with your boards both on forums and YouTube and I'm wondering with the big acceptance now with Android based tablets, I'm seeing very little of these devices being utilized. Do they just not offer the software required to duplicate such a match, as the IPad, or is the Android system still to new as an adopter?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Android tablets lack the necessary hardware to handle MIDI applications without huge latency factors.

Unfortunately your only choice is iPad or iPhone if you plan to use a tablet with your MIDI equipment though there may be hope for the new Windows Surface devices.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I dunno. I had a Toshiba tablet for a year last year until I got rid of it. I found all of the MIDI apps for it to be nothing more than toys.

This one seems to be somewhat more functional but I didn't really notice any sequencing in that demo so I really wonder what the actual latency is like.

Personally I do all of my real work with my Linux desktop anyway. I really haven't seen any "wow" apps for MIDI on tablets other than iPad stuff.

Reaction score
Yeah mines going to run through a mac mini but at this point thats the least of my worries, I have to learn the basics first so I have nothing but time before tweaking everything. I just want to be able to play a song by the summer that's recognizable. o_O

I love Adele's " Someone Like You, so I'd like to start there. haha

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Take yer pick. "Row Row Row Your Boat" or "Itsy Bitsy Spider" :D

Seriously though, you may want to sign up for a few lessons to start off.

Ask a Question