Juno DS - 2nd Synth?

Reaction score
Hi guys, just joined and would appreciate some advice please.

I've just purchased a Roland juno ds for a covers band which is fantastic. I'm looking for a used back up synth that can handle brass/strings has a nice piano range and decent quality sound. I'm currently using a Yamaha psr s700 which doesn't quite cut the mustard. On a budget of around $400 - $500.

Nice to be here. Nigel.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You might want to look at a used Korg TR61 or TR76. Truth be told though, there's a lot of overlap in sound categories. Why don't you just set up some performance splits on your Juno and be done with it?

Gary ;)

Reaction score
You might want to look at a used Korg TR61 or TR76. Truth be told though, there's a lot of overlap in sound categories. Why don't you just set up some performance splits on your Juno and be done with it?

Gary ;)

Yes that sounds like plan. I have the ds61 which doesn't allow much room for manoeuvre with splits. Plus I like having two keys to play around with. Will check those out thanks for replying.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Korg also made a TR88 which can be had at a quite decent price these days as well.

I owned a TR76 about 12 years ago. It was a great little synth.

Slightly vintage on today's market but not so old as to give you too many problems.

If you're looking for something a bit newer and slightly spendier you could also take a look at Korg's M3 series.

Happy hunting.

Gary ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Korg also made a TR88 which can be had at a quite decent price these days as well.

I owned a TR76 about 12 years ago. It was a great little synth.

Slightly vintage on today's market but no so old as to give you too many problems.

If you're looking for something a bit newer and slightly spendier you could also take a look at Korg's M3 series.

Happy hunting.

Gary ;)

Thanks Gary :)

Reaction score
Thanks, not too many used at an affordable price and ideally I'd like something completely different.
You're welcome.

Trust me as a gigging keyboardist the closer your back up is in functionality to your main, the happier you'll be if it goes down. That tip based on plenty of experience.

That said if you want a "second" keyboard rather than a "backup", I agree best to diversify your sound set.

Good luck on your quest.

Reaction score
To be fair Paul, your primary board is a Korg Krome. Is the Juno Gi a decent backup for a Korg?

Gary ;)
Yes and no. When I bought it it was a Swiss Army knife backing up a Swiss Army knife in a one 'board rig. So that's "yes" because the functionality was pretty much identical although the sound set was different (and somewhat inferior) I also got it because I happened to see it at a good price (AUD500 about four years ago) and knew what it could do.

These days I don't take it with me to gigs as I either run a two or three board rig depending on the band. I figure in the event of catastrophic keyboard failure I can still limp through. So it's only a "backup" in the sense that I could sub it in with notice. I really only use it for home practice now. So that's "no".

But I know with certainty it would make an excellent "in case of emergency" board for a DS. That said, doesn't really worry me what OP does. Question was asked, I answered it and explained my reasoning, which I hope is helpful. Armed with that info, the rest is up to him!

Reaction score
A quick update having taken all your advice on board, I've decided on a Korg Krome - good decision fellow tinklers? :)

Reaction score
I'm watching one on eBay starting at £400 So we shall see? Fingers crossed.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
It'll probably sell closer to $800 to $900 USD plus shipping in the end.

Personally I'm not a big fan of Ebay. When I buy used THAT'S when I INSIST on handling the merchandise before I buy. Not to mention shipping costs can be a deal killer.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
It'll probably sell closer to $800 to $900 USD plus shipping in the end.

Personally I'm not a big fan of Ebay. When I buy used THAT'S when I INSIST on handling the merchandise before I buy. Not to mention shipping costs can be a deal killer.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I know what you mean but it's fairly local and the guy said he'd give a full demo before taking my cash. Tritons are fairly reasonable are they worth a look?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Tritons have some awesome sounds and features but they are verging on 20 years old. you're looking at a whole different box of snakes with a 20 yr old keyboard.

That's why I recommended the Korg TR or M3. Much more recent boards and some can be had for reasonable prices.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Tritons have some awesome sounds and features but they are verging on 20 years old. you're looking at a whole different box of snakes with a 20 yr old keyboard.

That's why I recommended the Korg TR or M3. Much more recent boards and some can be had for reasonable prices.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Final update from me thought you might be interested?
Just purchased a Korg Krome 61 in RED - home use only inc power supply and stand - £420 or $562.

Thanks for all the great advice :)

Ask a Question