Jupiter 50 how to add rhythm and styles

Reaction score
Hi I'm Francis, I bought Jupiter 50 last year, trying to get the hang of it till now. Please can anyone tell me how to add rythem or styles in jupiter 50 for playing songs

Reaction score
The Roland Jupiter 50 is a "Performance Synthesizer" - that is, it is a synthesizer primarily for live stage performances with a band. It is not an Arranger ("One-Man-Bander"), as it has no onboard Auto-accompaniment features for playing "styles" and has no rhythm generator. Neither is it a "Workstation", as it has no onboard sequencer and is only 3-Part multi-timbral as opposed to 16-Part for a typical "Workstation". For studio production workstation use, it relies heavily on external computer based DAW software to provided the usual workstation features. All of the non-solo performance demos were done with either live-band backing or with audio (WAV/MP3) backing tracks. Some JP-50/80 owners bought the Roland BK-7M Backing Module, but that was rather pricey, so I either just racked mine up with an inexpensive Yamaha or Casio Arranger for real-time backing tracks or used them to generate backing tracks that I recorded to audio for playback at performance time through the JP-50's audio circuits.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The Roland Jupiter 50 is a "Performance Synthesizer" - that is, it is a synthesizer primarily for live stage performances with a band. It is not an Arranger ("One-Man-Bander"), as it has no onboard Auto-accompaniment features for playing "styles" and has no rhythm generator. Neither is it a "Workstation", as it has no onboard sequencer and is only 3-Part multi-timbral as opposed to 16-Part for a typical "Workstation". For studio production workstation use, it relies heavily on external computer based DAW software to provided the usual workstation features. All of the non-solo performance demos were done with either live-band backing or with audio (WAV/MP3) backing tracks. Some JP-50/80 owners bought the Roland BK-7M Backing Module, but that was rather pricey, so I either just racked mine up with an inexpensive Yamaha or Casio Arranger for real-time backing tracks or used them to generate backing tracks that I recorded to audio for playback at performance time through the JP-50's audio circuits.
Thank you so much for that Ted. Now the things are clear and I really want to trade in or sell this and buy Yamaha PSR models. What you recon?

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
Neither is it a "Workstation", as it has no onboard sequencer and is only 3-Part multi-timbral as opposed to 16-Part for a typical "Workstation".

Thanks for a pithy definition of workstation. I'd been trying to come up with a short and sweet definition. This is pretty much it.

Fred Coulter

Reaction score
Thank you so much for that Ted. Now the things are clear and I really want to trade in or sell this and buy Yamaha PSR models. What you recon?

How much can you afford? With the Yamaha arrangers, generally you get more when you pay more. Or are you looking for used, which is a bit more complex.

I'm about to blow a bit of cash on a Tyros 5 76, but that's pretty much the top end.

Fred Coulter

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with either of them. However, generally the bigger the number, the better the keyboard. The question you'll need to answer is whether the additional capabilities are worth the additional cost. And for that decision, only you can weight the pros and cons.

Unless someone here chimes in with good advice, I'd recommend going to http://www.psrtutorial.com/ and ask them. If you're going to get a Yamaha arranger, that's probably a site you should check out anyway. They've got an entire series of lessons on how to use arrangers, as well as huge amounts of free styles, etc., AND most importantly a friendly community of people who want you to succeed with your keyboard.

Reaction score
Hi I'm Francis, I bought Jupiter 50 last year, trying to get the hang of it till now. Please can anyone tell me how to add rythem or styles in jupiter 50 for playing songs
Have you tried a software called mixmaster? I think that is what you need

Reaction score
You need One Man Band (OMB). Try downloading the software. I answered you before, but I did not mean to put mixmaster. Hope OMB helps you

Ask a Question