Kawai MP7SE sound problems

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have recently bought a Kawai MP7SE.

I am happy with many aspects of this keyboard, however, a big issue for me is the rising volume of the sound when pressing keys.

Basically what happens is the volume continues to rise when holding the keys, when hitting them harder and also, far worse, when using the sustain pedal. This unpleasant sound, that is reminiscent of reverb/feedback just rings out behind all the notes being played and sounds awful. It is not so bad with basic pieces, but anything intricate just gets muddied.

I am definitely using the sustain pedal properly, lifting and pressing at the appropriate points, however it does not seem to make a difference. I have also tried both the F10-H pedal and a 3rd part pedal and there is no difference.

This happens when playing a number of the default piano sounds, none more than the default concert grand that is on when you switch the keyboard on. I have found some default pianos where it is not or barely present but it does not seem right that so many of the default sound so bad because of it.

It is now bothering me so much that I have to get rid of it, which is a shame because I do like the action and many of the other settings. It is strange that despite my searching on forums, nobody else seems to have encountered this issue.
Apologies, I am not very technically minded.

Do anyone have any thoughts advice?

Thanks

Reaction score
I used to own the MP11SE, not the MP7SE, but never encountered the issues you describe. Also have a ES110 and a CA58, both issue free.
Have you posted on pianoworld forum ? I assume KawaiJames there may have some answers for you. And did you contact your reseller or Kawai directly ? You may have a faulty unit so repairs should be covered by warranty...

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I'm guessing here, but since it's a pretty high end keyboard it has "aftertouch" or pressure sensitivity.

Simply go into the menus and turn it off.

The swells are a feature, not a bug.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
As far a I know, the MP7SE does not have aftertouch...

@TS : have you tried to reset the MP7SE to factory settings ; alternatively, try setting the Virtual Technician to its default parameters. Or, maybe there's a software update available...

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score

Reaction score
It has something called "Let Off Simulation"

Are you sure that's not aftertouch?
Let off or escapement comes from the world of acoustic pianos, nothing to do with aftertouch.
It's what simulates the light resistance you feel just before you press a key all the way down, which is what you feel when the hammer hits the string on a real acoustic.
Digital pianos obviously have no strings so they have to simulate that. In general, only higher-end DP's have that feature but Roland is one of the few that offers it in their PHA4 action, next to a triple sensor, which you mostly only find in higher-end actions.

Aftertouch is a synth thing, but you probably know more about that than I do ;)

Jos

Reaction score
my Kawai ES 920 is damaged for 3 times. Every time he is in the shop where i buy him for 4 weeks. Is he going back to an atelier every
time, i don't no. I'm very sorry that i buy an kawai ES920.
Best regrets, Jo

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
my Kawai ES 920 is damaged for 3 times. Every time he is in the shop where i buy him for 4 weeks. Is he going back to an atelier every
time, i don't no. I'm very sorry that i buy an kawai ES920.
Best regrets, Jo

Lemons happen with every make and model of keyboard ever manufactured.

Maybe it was dropped during shipping?

Jos

Reaction score
Lijkt me geen geval van schade bij transport. Probleem zijn de toetsen. Enkele laten het na bij herhaaldelijk en snel bespelen ervan. Probleem deed zich voor bij al 3 verschillende toetsen. Na herstelling werkt het weer.....maar voor hoe lang? Bij mijn piano ondertussen ook alles samen 3 maanden kwijt geweest.
Jos

Ask a Question